Video: CF-18 Insane Take Off and Dirty Roll

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
hehehe That kind of take off is called an "unlimited t/o". Hubby experienced one when he wasvisiting his Dad's cousin who was an aircraft mechanic and pilot. The plane he was in was a CF-104 Starfighter. People nicknamed it the manned rocket because it could do about 2.5 mach. It weighed about 10 tons, had a thrust of about 16,000 lbf, was built like a needle so it's drag was quite a bit less than 5 sq feet. Rate of climb was almost 50,000 feet per minute and its ceiling was about 50,000 ft. It wasn't very manouverable, having a long fuselage and relatively stubby little wings but it was only limited to about 2.5 mach because of airframe and something to do with engine temperature. :)
It matched the latest F-18s on rate of climb. Not bad for a plane that started out in late 50s andpeople finally quit using modified versions in 2004.
I like watching the F-104 at Westhampton AFB growing up, it was noisy, but it could move. Your right, it was the biggest engine available at the time strapped to a metal tube and some stubby wings, there wasn't a plane in the world who could keep up with it at the time. Also read that it was very hard to control.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
F-18 Superhornet

It is because no matter how you think it looks, there are very few aircraft in the world who can even come close to matching them in preformance. Plus they are cost effective.

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
F-18 Superhornet

It is because no matter how you think it looks, there are very few aircraft in the world who can even come close to matching them in preformance. Plus they are cost effective.

At least you could have used a picture of a Canadian one! :lol:

here... stole a shot from the Canadian Forces website for ya.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
F-18 Superhornet

I disagree, the new version of the F/18 only looks like the old one in form , it is a whole new plane inside and is actually heavier. For the navy it is replacing the f/14 . Naval air space radius cap is now greatly reduced. My bet for cost efficency would be the f/16. Tha thing turns on a dime

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States

The F-14 is the one that can turn on a dime and also the best looking of the bunch. Do circles around them all. I saw a fly off between the F-14 and the F-15. Flat out speed, the F-15 had a little more, but that was about all it had. The F-14 played with it through out the flight window. If only the F-14 was cheaper to build.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec

The F-14 is the one that can turn on a dime and also the best looking of the bunch. Do circles around them all. I saw a fly off between the F-14 and the F-15. Flat out speed, the F-15 had a little more, but that was about all it had. The F-14 played with it through out the flight window. If only the F-14 was cheaper to build.
that's my favorite ;-)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

The F-14 had a single purpose role and that was to be a fighter. Whereas the F-15 had a dual role of fighter and attack (bomb). During Desert Storm all the F-14's did was punch holes in the sky while A-6's, F-18's, F-16's, etc played a bigger role. After Desrt Storm they modified the F-14 to carry bombs but by then they were being decomissioned by the more advanced F-18's.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Favorite warbirds?
P-38 Lightning, C-130 Herc, P-51 'Stang, Mig Fulcrum F, ME 109, Harrier 2, Fokker DR1, Vickers PBV 1A, Sopwith Camel, DeHavilland Moth, F4U Corsair, P-61 Black Widow

lol Actually it's Les's list, but I like them, too.

Last edited:

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
The F-14 had a single purpose role and that was to be a fighter. Whereas the F-15 had a dual role of fighter and attack (bomb). During Desert Storm all the F-14's did was punch holes in the sky while A-6's, F-18's, F-16's, etc played a bigger role. After Desrt Storm they modified the F-14 to carry bombs but by then they were being decomissioned by the more advanced F-18's.

It was one heck of a fighter though. Even with its limited gound attack capabilities, I wish the had just upgraded it, the F-14 could almost do just about everything the F-22 can do. I especially liked the AIM 54 Phoenix missiles they carried, imagine being able to knock out another aircraft at over 100 miles away. (6 enemy aircraft)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Favorite warbirds?
P-38 Lightning, C-130 Herc, P-51 'Stang, Mig Fulcrum F, ME 109, Harrier 2, Fokker DR1, Vickers PBV 1A, Sopwith Camel, DeHavilland Moth, F4U Corsair, P-61 Black Widow

lol Actually it's Les's list, but I like them, too.

Curiously you've left off the Supermarine Spitfire and the P-47. Two of the most important aircraft in the 2nd WW.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Curiously you've left off the Supermarine Spitfire and the P-47. Two of the most important aircraft in the 2nd WW.
No. I just don't think they were cool enough. lol Like I said, MY FAVORITE warbirds, not THE BEST warbirds.