Vaping Epidemic

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I'm not sure you the strict regulations on nicotine content would go. It might be almost close to impossible with tons of sites young people easily access nowadays. Just a quick search on Google can exactly tell them where are how to buy (like this site with tips about buying older models for cheap and buying vaping gears from CHINA). What I hate most about that is the danger those poorly made cheap ones bring (ever heard of exploding e-cigs?). Yikes

No system is perfect. The goal is to just make it as difficult as possible.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Apparently vaping is less harmful to health than smoking. With that in mind, it might make sense to ban tobacco altogether.

Any vaping juice that contains even the smallest trace of nicotine should be strictly regulated. Any business that produces or sells any nicotine product for recreational consumption should not be allowed to advertise not only its product but even itself, even on its store-front window, except on an approved website on which to advertise addictive products and services.

We should also establish a self-exclusion list for vaping products similar to Singapore's for gambling. To enter a shop that sells nicotine products, you should need to scan your ID card and fingerprint. If you're on the self-exclusion list, you shouldn't even be allowed in. That would ensure that only those who want to buy a nicotine product could enter.

Prohibition has proved to be more of a curse than a blessing - look no further than what happened during it's time in the US. It doesn't and won't work. It would be a huge waste of time and money. I get it that you have a loathing of smoking. That is your right. You do not and will never have the right to deny others their rights.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Prohibition has proved to be more of a curse than a blessing - look no further than what happened during it's time in the US. It doesn't and won't work. It would be a huge waste of time and money. I get it that you have a loathing of smoking. That is your right. You do not and will never have the right to deny others their rights.

Who said anything about prohibition. I was proposing strict regulation stopping short of prohibition. Just make it invisible at street level. Ensure that only those looking for it will find it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
How about those that are not looking for it just look the other way and quit interfering in things that do not concerned them?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Less expensive than hiring millions of thought police to see if anyone is not following the approved thought train. Or were you thinking of using a fink on a friend program like all good communist countries?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Less expensive than hiring millions of thought police to see if anyone is not following the approved thought train. Or were you thinking of using a fink on a friend program like all good communist countries?

If the rule were that the vape shop can't be visible at street level, then enforcement would be low-cost. If the cop sees a business sign at street level, record it for proof and then apply a fine or maybe revoke its business license.

If the cop doesn't see it at street level, then he just goes on with his day handing out traffic tickets. Pretty simple, really.

Wise

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
Vaping can contain nicotine that is the same substance in cigarettes.

Scientists have discovered that cinnamon, vanilla, and cherry flavors react with propylene glycol, a main ingredient in many vape juices, to create entirely new chemicals, according to a study published today in the journal Nicotine & Tobacco Research.Oct 18, 2018

"There are more than 7,000 e-liquid flavors out there, and they’re pretty controversial."

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/18...tes-chemicals-ingredients-irritating-e-liquid

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I might be more lenient on a shop that sells e-cigarettes and nicotine-free vaping liquids that advertizes itself outside its shop. While such liquids might be harmful, at least they're not addictive. Any shop that sells nicotine should have its advertizing strictly regulated.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I might be more lenient on a shop that sells e-cigarettes and nicotine-free vaping liquids that advertizes itself outside its shop. While such liquids might be harmful, at least they're not addictive. Any shop that sells nicotine should have its advertizing strictly regulated.
Nicotine is less dangerous than pot. That doesn't mean that it's good for you.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
True. But to highlight, there are nicotine-free e-juice/vaping liquids. So I agree, those with nicotine should face strict regulations.
Just ignore those hundreds of other chemical combustion products being inhaled that haven't been tested yet.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Just ignore those hundreds of other chemical combustion products being inhaled that haven't been tested yet.

They may be harmful, but at least they're not addictive. In other words, a person could quit easily enough once he's freed from the nicotine. Same with tobacco. Tobacco is harmful, but one puff has never killed anyone. It's the addictive nicotine in it that makes a person come back for more until it does kill him.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
They may be harmful, but at least they're not addictive. In other words, a person could quit easily enough once he's freed from the nicotine. Same with tobacco. Tobacco is harmful, but one puff has never killed anyone. It's the addictive nicotine in it that makes a person come back for more until it does kill him.
You don't know that they're not addictive. This is all new stuff.