Vancouver burns after cup loss

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Re: Major riots in Vancouver after Canuck loss!

I wouldn't say this is a modern or even recent phenomenon, idiots take advantage of events like this in order to express their criminality, you see it in marches, parades, sporting events etc etc.

You can't really stop acts like this shorts of implementing a curfew and shooting rioters.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Nasty? I'm being Politically Correct.

I think it's about time we saw some political incorrectness, but seriously I respect you for speaking your mind. Now if you can just break some heads! :lol:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

It seems to me the rioting, car burning, looting and general obnoxiousness has reached new limits. What is going on with the modern crop of young people so bent on destruction?

It's not the "modern crop".. it's just sports nuts in general.

English riots go back to the 1880s.. It's sports.. it makes people stupid and is an excellent tool to promote blind nationalism as a diversion from reality.

Why else do you think MacKay was plugging the Canucks instead of actually answering questions about bombs being dropped in Libya??

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

As far as I'm concerned, hockey is a gladiator sport designed to be a pressure release mechanism. Ever wonder why people riot at a sport event but not at a political event like the G8/G20 fiasco. Sport are a diversionary tactic to keep people from paying too much attention to what the government is up to. There must be an awful lot of frustration in Vancouver that goes beyond losing a silly hockey game.Behind every external action is some deeper emotional cause. But we have been trained to only look at the symptoms and not the root motivations.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010

All this for a Stanley Cup loss? People should wait to do this stuff when it's really important. Like at Woodstock '99.

What a party that was.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

English riots go back to the 1880s.. It's sports.. it makes people stupid and is an excellent tool to promote blind nationalism as a diversion from reality.

Why else do you think MacKay was plugging the Canucks instead of actually answering questions about bombs being dropped in Libya??
A whole generation ago the same exact thing happened in Vancouver. I was there. I watch a girl nearly lose her head and then was hosed down with tear gas by asshole PIGS while in line to go for a drink with my gal. Sports fans are ****ed in the head. Especially the one in Vancouver.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Yeah... riots always happen everywhere and always have. Crowd mentality.

If school was in session there would have been an uprising in Boston just like they did for the Red Sox. College kids love rioting.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

A whole generation ago the same exact thing happened in Vancouver. I was there. I watch a girl nearly lose her head and then was hosed down with tear gas by asshole PIGS while in line to go for a drink with my gal. Sports fans are ****ed in the head. Especially the one in Vancouver.

It's not the true "sports fans", Petros, it's the crackheads etc. who are looking for any event for an excuse.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Whatever.

This issue just cements the fact that we should stop recognizing hockey as our iconic gloryhole.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

It's not the true "sports fans", Petros, it's the crackheads etc. who are looking for any event for an excuse.

Blaming this on crackheads?? LOL. They have more important things to do then rioting... ie, obtaining more crack.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

The riots had NOTHING to do with being a 'sports fan'. The true Canucks fans all went home after the game and are now not only dealing with their team's loss but the fall-out from a bunch of thugs fueled by too much liquor who went downtown with nothing more in their empty heads then to cause as much destruction as they could.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Really? Tell me all about last time in 94 and where the crowd started and how it started. I WATCHED. I SAW the crackheads and winos run for their ****ing lives when the middle class towel swingers came up Granville and headed up Robson to Burrard.

Tell me what you saw.

I live not far from the stadium in Regina. every ****ing second Sunday in summertime it's St. Patty's day with, fights, sexual assaults, drunken car crashes, vandalism and on and on and on.

And that's not playoffs sunshine. It's every second ****ing weekend all good damn summer.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

The riots had NOTHING to do with being a 'sports fan'. The true Canucks fans all went home after the game and are now not only dealing with their team's loss but the fall-out from a bunch of thugs fueled by too much liquor who went downtown with nothing more in their empty heads then to cause as much destruction as they could.

Conservatives seem to have as much trouble differentiating between sports fans and sports nuts as they do muslims and islamic extremists.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

Wouldn't the looting eventually accomplish that?

The point is, most crackheads are too mentally and physically emaciated to participate in or let alone lead a riot. They're zombies for all intents and purpose.

These rioters are no different then the one's you see after a British soccer match, fueled by booze with a mob mentality... **** goes down.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

These rioters are no different then the one's you see after a British soccer match, fueled by booze with a mob mentality... **** goes down.
Like i said above. The last one was ALL middle to upper class people. The crackheads and bums don't want to be caught in mass arrests when holding dime bags.