use of the word "Canuck"

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
yank i assume is short for yankee. I think in america itself it has a more precise meaning than just american. In the UK however it is a mildly offensive term for americans as a whole.

From what I remember the term "Yank" was used by the "Brits" in world war two, mostly, then
continued on from there, in Canada the term "Yankee" is more common.
I am mistaken here, please correct me.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Some words aren't nice but there's no use banning them. Maybe what we should do is ape the kiddies. They call each other sl*t and bitch and ho and love it. Those words used to be fightin' words. Meaningless now. If we all do our part tomorrow and call someone an N we'll be helping in the mainstreaming of the word and consequent neutering of the word's power. Remember, starting tomorrow, we'll all call somebody on the street a N. Ah, progress!

Sаbine

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2007
yeah, the two aren't open to comparison. To the best of my knowledge, there is no American sports team named the "n___ers". It's a taboo word one hundred percent.
It is surprising how differently different societies take this word. In some countries the N word is still almost the only word used to name Africans and Afro-Americans. Funny that.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I always thought that the term 'Canuck' was a reference to French-Canadians and eventually it became a reference to all Canadians. This is similar to the word 'Yankee' which used to be a reference to Anglo-Americans from the Northeast but now includes all Americans. Therefore, it is not intended as a derogation and no one should be offended by the term.

As I said on another thread, Canadians are cool. In Minnesota we occasionally use the term 'Canucklehead' but it is only used in fun. And none of the many Canadians here get offended at the term.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Some words aren't nice but there's no use banning them. Maybe what we should do is ape the kiddies. They call each other sl*t and bitch and ho and love it. Those words used to be fightin' words. Meaningless now. If we all do our part tomorrow and call someone an N we'll be helping in the mainstreaming of the word and consequent neutering of the word's power. Remember, starting tomorrow, we'll all call somebody on the street a N. Ah, progress!

It's part of a "Big Brother", Orwellian thing though, this conditioning of words like nigger to be "bad". It is, in and of itself, not a bad word. It is just a word. I resent very much the implication that one must never say it when it is said all the time by the very people who claim we must not use it.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Canuck

:read2: Well now, this got me interested, since I have never been offended by the term "Canuck"; kinda neat actually.

After minutes of exhaustive research I find it was originally an Americanism to describe French-Canadian Canadians, now taken to mean all Canadians.

It is only offensive when meant to be, as in "dumb Canuck", whatever. Hey, break my heart. I been called worse by better eh!!

Ever hear of the terms Yank, Reb, Digger, Pommy, Tommy, Bluenoser?
I'd be proud to be called any of the aforementioned, but not if prefaced by "dirty, stupid, etc."

All in the way it's meant eh.

The "N" word was never meant as a compliment or positive comment at any time, except when used by blacks addressing blacks. If you want to prove that, go to Detroit and call an Afro-American a nigger. You prefer .45 or .357 or baseball bat,?? cause them's probably what you'll get.

Just my .02

Canuck Ugg.:grommit:

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
:read2: Well now, this got me interested, since I have never been offended by the term "Canuck"; kinda neat actually.

After minutes of exhaustive research I find it was originally an Americanism to describe French-Canadian Canadians, now taken to mean all Canadians.

It is only offensive when meant to be, as in "dumb Canuck", whatever. Hey, break my heart. I been called worse by better eh!!

Ever hear of the terms Yank, Reb, Digger, Pommy, Tommy, Bluenoser?
I'd be proud to be called any of the aforementioned, but not if prefaced by "dirty, stupid, etc."

All in the way it's meant eh.

The "N" word was never meant as a compliment or positive comment at any time, except when used by blacks addressing blacks. If you want to prove that, go to Detroit and call an Afro-American a nigger. You prefer .45 or .357 or baseball bat,?? cause them's probably what you'll get.

Just my .02

Canuck Ugg.:grommit:

I think you're right. It's funny, kids use nigger all the time now, and yet it is considered a bad word, as you say, in Detroit.

As for Canuck, I have never considered it an insult.