US Judge Orders Russia to Preserve Jewish Texts

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
...and as soon as the property is on US soil, that Texan judge's writ will be worth the paper it's written on. Until then, it's abandoned and the former owner has jack.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
A Texas federal judge ordering a sovereign country to do something is not the job of a foreign judge.

It is the judges job to interpret law. It is not the judges job to enforce it. Just because it is unenforceable does not mean the judge can't rule on it if asked to...and he was asked to. Lamberth told Chabad that he didnt think that he could order Russia to accept foreigners and said they should "explore other methods of reviewing the collection, such as hiring attorneys already in Moscow."

Are you a lawyer who has studied and has experience in "International law"?

No but Lamberth is so, unless somebody can show he is wrong, I'm willing to accept his point of view.

Refer to point above, addendum: Israel has broken "International law" on so many occasions and many lawyers would argue that their right to exist is in direct conflict with International law precident.

I'm not interested in what Israel has done. That has no bearing on this case.

This news story is a joke. Judge Royce Lamberth of Texas has no right in any law that I've been able to locate obligations to any sovereign entity.

Of course he does. He just doesn't have the ability to enforce it.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I don't have to. That is what courts of law are for.

Well if you don't know the answer and you're leaving up to the courts to figure out, then wtf are you going on about?

You're already expressing the mentality that you feel Russia is in the wrong and that these items should be handed over to this group..... yet when you're called on explaining or proving why you believe this to be true, you run off and give "That's what the courts are for" as some kind of excuse.

I am asking you why you feel the way you do and to perhaps back up your position with something solid..... if you don't have anything, then just say so and I'll know just to ignore you further on in this debate.

No skin off my back.

Again, the court.

Again, see above.

You would have to ask the judge that (or somebody else that was in the court room)

No, I am asking you.

You have enough gusto to throw out all that you have so far, why stop now? Why do you feel, in your personal opinion, this group has ownership rights of the items in question? It doesn't hurt to be right or wrong later down the road.... .I get things wrong to on occasion..... and when new information becomes available, everybody is allowed to change their views...... so based on the given information at this time..... why do you feel they have more rights over these items then the Russians who have kept these items for so long?

According to the judge, not the Russians

What kind of answer was that? I asked who has been taking care of these items and thus, who is the rightful owner of these times..... what is according to the judge? The Judge deems the Jewish group as being the owners, therefore they are?

That's no explination, not to mention the Judge has no authority over Russia in the first place to dictate what he thinks is right and wrong..... his opinion in this matter is about as valid as your's or my own.

Did the Russians have proper representation in front of this judge?

Not according to the judge. Seeing as he has a law degree and an apparent understanding of international law (and doesn't sit in front of his computer smokin' doobies) I can accept his take on this, especially since I don't have first hand knowledge of all the facts presented.

Doobies is so 1972.... :roll:

Regardless of what my recreational habbits are, where I do them, or how often I do them, clearly it hasn't affected my ability to debate the topic at hand without having to get childish like you..... perhaps you should smoke some of that Doobie goodness..... it might do you some good in this debate, since you keep flawing up your argument.

How is his understanding of international law apparent? Because you said it was?

Having a law degree makes people pefect in their decisions they make? People with degrees are flawless and can not be swayed by their own bias? People with a law degree suddenly become world experts on international law and have the authority over other nations to dictate to them what the believe is right?

Me thinks not.

Fancy titles don't change my views and are not a valid reason to swallow what someone says without question. If something doesn't make sense and the person can not explain in plain logical english their position, then obviously there's something wrong, and therefore what could very well be wrong, is them.

I understand that smoking pot makes one tend to ramble?

Ok, I've put up with your personal, ignorant bullsh*t long enough.... if you can't keep up with the questions presented to you and you can't do anything else besides avoid everything and spout off garbage about something you have no clue about, then don't waste my time.... you've already proven my point that you don't have a damn clue on what you're talking about.

Oh, and congrats.... a pot head just owned you in the debate.

Childish :roll: jeez...

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Well if you don't know the answer and you're leaving up to the courts to figure out, then wtf are you going on about?

You're already expressing the mentality that you feel Russia is in the wrong and that these items should be handed over to this group

No I haven't. I've claimed that this is what the judge has said. I'm arguing the legality of the process that others claim is stupid. Since I'm not a lawyer and do not have expert knowledge of international law, I'm accepting the word of someone who purportedly does. I don't understand why this is so difficult to grasp.

I am asking you why you feel the way you do and to perhaps back up your position with something solid..... if you don't have anything, then just say so and I'll know just to ignore you further on in this debate.

I have backed up my position. For some strange reason, you seem to think that I believe Russia is wrong. I have not said that. I have said that that is what the ruling suggests...and it does.

Why do you feel, in your personal opinion, this group has ownership rights of the items in question?

I have no personal opinion either way because I am not completely familiar with the case nor am I an expert on international law. The judge has an opinion however and he has expressed it. Instead of criticizing me, perhaps you should use your own vast experience in international law to criticize the judge in this case....and simply calling him stupid isn't much of an argument.

I get things wrong to on occasion

No shyte!!!

so based on the given information at this time..... why do you feel they have more rights over these items then the Russians who have kept these items for so long?

Because the judge said so.

what is according to the judge? The Judge deems the Jewish group as being the owners, therefore they are?

That's generally how it works, yes!

That's no explination, not to mention the Judge has no authority over Russia in the first place to dictate what he thinks is right and wrong..... his opinion in this matter is about as valid as your's or my own.

Which is kinda what he told the plaintiff, except that his opinion on this matter may be valid depending on circumstances (ie- the Russians brought these items to the US for display purposes..probably not going to happen)

Did the Russians have proper representation in front of this judge?

They did hire lawyers originally so they must have had some concern about the litigation...kinda flies in the face of the argument that the legal results aren't valid.

clearly it hasn't affected my ability to debate the topic at hand.....

That's debatable.

Having a law degree makes people pefect in their decisions they make? People with degrees are flawless and can not be swayed by their own bias? People with a law degree suddenly become world experts on international law and have the authority over other nations to dictate to them what the believe is right?

Hardly. It does, however, give them more credibility than some guy sitting in front of his computer smokin' doobies.

Oh, and congrats.... a pot head just owned you in the debate.

Who would that be?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
The Russians can do whatever they like with the papers.

The judges ruling is just one more example of the USA arrogance and a little more mortar that will only serve to cement their smaller role in world affairs.