US Circuit Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
"Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Most Cops Just Above Normal The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average."

Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops - ABC News

8O

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Most Cops Just Above Normal The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.

lovely, I feel much safer reading that!!

on the other hand, thanks for the video that accompanied the story it was about increasing intelligence due to exercise...it makes me feel better about dragging my azz around the block for a half an hour a day :)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
"Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Most Cops Just Above Normal The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average."

8O

Just like the character Leonardo DiCaprio played in The Departed.

Palindrome

Nominee Member
May 14, 2013
Mostly, i suppose they just don't want cops who question orders and procedure.... or might side with political protesters.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
lovely, I feel much safer reading that!!

on the other hand, thanks for the video that accompanied the story it was about increasing intelligence due to exercise...it makes me feel better about dragging my azz around the block for a half an hour a day :)

Stop. You're smart enough.

When I worked I got lots of exercise. My IQ increased (debatable) , and I got smart enough to retire.

I drag the dog around the block for a half hour a day. If I'm sufferin, that yappy lil' shyte is sufferin too........{evil grin}

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
well to be fair I guess, they aren't dealing with your average college professor either...I do find it disturbing when I wonder about solving multiple murders and white collar crimes or when they are dealing with psychopaths...who makes detective then? What about cold cases. I have heard some of those guys interviewed and watch them interrogate perps, no way they had IQs of 100 - 105... no way.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Stop. You're smart enough.

When I worked I got lots of exercise. My IQ increased (debatable) , and I got smart enough to retire.

I drag the dog around the block for a half hour a day. If I'm sufferin, that yappy lil' shyte is sufferin too........{evil grin}
Right on for you!! if I am so facking smart I should be able to figure out how to Freedom 55 instead it looks more like Freedom 85.

also, I didn't include the 45 minutes a day I spend paddling my azz around the pool... :D

Sadly that is about to end as tomorrow I start another 12 week contract which is wonderful financially not so wonderful health wise. :D

damn I need both to com together... wish I was young enough to be a trophy wife.

Detectives? We don't need no Stinking Detectives! We have CSI!
lol yeah, are ya scared yet?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

8O

Yeah......

The reason being it costs $100,000 to train a cop........and the work is 99% drudgery. Intelligent cops quit in high numbers, so the community is trying to cut its losses.

It is crazy though.

If your patrolmen have a tepid IQ, where do you get your investigators, your detectives, your ranking officers???

Guess,

DUH.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yeah......

The reason being it costs $100,000 to train a cop........and the work is 99% drudgery. Intelligent cops quit in high numbers, so the community is trying to cut its losses.

It is crazy though.

If your patrolmen have a tepid IQ, where do you get your investigators, your detectives, your ranking officers???

Guess,

DUH.
yes that is the worst part, plus I would guess there may/would be a higher incidence of violence because a quick analysis of a situation would have no nuance, and it would not be the "last resort" it would be near the top

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
As mentioned, the last thing we want in a police officer is an appreciation of nuance. His task is to apply the laws both laudable and ridiculous. To save money on intelligence testing, simply ask the potential recruits if they listen to right-wing radio.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yeah......

It is crazy though.

Guess,

DUH.

Lab work is 99% drudgery. Protocols, protocols, protocols. Pipette, homogenize, titrate, repeat. The major difference being we aren't likely going to have to respond to situations that can cause someone to burn out psychologically. But we get promotions if we are above average performers. I don't think it's much different for a police officer, having a few of them in my family.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Right on for you!! if I am so facking smart I should be able to figure out how to Freedom 55 instead it looks more like Freedom 85.

also, I didn't include the 45 minutes a day I spend paddling my azz around the pool... :D

Sadly that is about to end as tomorrow I start another 12 week contract which is wonderful financially not so wonderful health wise. :D

damn I need both to com together... wish I was young enough to be a trophy wife.

YOU HAVE A POOL !!!! Such hardship, paddling the azz around said water container. You will appreciate the pool more on days off.

My freedom didn't kick in till 59, so I feel yer pain.

We never had a pool except the wader for the kidlets..................MOM!!! MOM!!! Dad's in the pool again............There's NO ROOOOM.............8O

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I would sincerely hope that becoming a cop is based on more than just IQ. Who would want to engage a cop who may have a high IQ but cannot communicate clearly, has no personality, and no common sense? Just askin....