US Catholic Church Does About Face on Abortion

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
What it is about is if their inaction caused the death of the fetus.

It was an emergency situation. These people can only do their best so to suggest that their inaction was the result of the baby dying is a real stretch.

Hell, using that logic, one could easily argue that had the husband done something sooner or the ambulance responded quicker, none of this would have happened.

If that is true then, according to their 'catholic principles' they operate under, it is the wrongful death of a person because a fetus is a person.

.. But we don't know if it's true. You're assuming that they are guilty, and at any rate, that would fall under the pervue of the medical personnel as opposed to the Church.

Either they stand by that principle or they don't. From this case it appears they only stand by that principle when it won't cost them a sh*tload of money.

Abortion and wrongful death are two entirely separate considerations

If there was no way to save the fetus then it is not wrongful death.

This takes us back to assessing responsibility.... The hospital, the Church, possibly the individual, etc... There are many parties that had a direct contribution here.

Simply dumping the entire problem onto the Church via a hospital is not realistic

The issue of hypocrisy comes into play because the the RCC and their hospital are allowing the insurance co. to use the defense that the fetus is not a person. A legitimate and good defense under Colorado law but totally against what the RCC preaches as gospel and against the principles the hospital operates under.

Think of it this way... The hospital is stating that they are not responsible for any 'wrongful death'... The 'person' clause is just the best way to go about things

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
It was an emergency situation. These people can only do their best so to suggest that their inaction was the result of the baby dying is a real stretch.

Hell, using that logic, one could easily argue that had the husband done something sooner or the ambulance responded quicker, none of this would have happened.

.. But we don't know if it's true. You're assuming that they are guilty, and at any rate, that would fall under the pervue of the medical personnel as opposed to the Church.

Abortion and wrongful death are two entirely separate considerations

This takes us back to assessing responsibility.... The hospital, the Church, possibly the individual, etc... There are many parties that had a direct contribution here.

Simply dumping the entire problem onto the Church via a hospital is not realistic

Think of it this way... The hospital is stating that they are not responsible for any 'wrongful death'... The 'person' clause is just the best way to go about things

I don't disagree with you that the matter of wrongful death or not needs its day in court to be determined and I have no issue with the church run hospital defending itself vigorously. The only issue I had was them using the 'person clause' as it opposes everything the church preaches and represents and fights for every day. As Medic updated they have withdrawn the clause as part of their defense and I withdraw my assertion of hypocrisy. I wish them luck in the case and hope the truth prevails.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net