unistalling adobe flash player

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
hi, I would like some help again. please. I have adobe flash player version 9,0,124,0 installed,(That's what the Adobe flash player version checker tell me it is), and it REFUSES to uninstall. I mean I've used the "uninstaller" from adobe, I've used an "uninstallation program" to uninstall it. Every time I do that, and reboot, I go to check it and it says it's still installed. It's a real pain, because I can't ugrade it to the the latest greatest version, since the previous is supposed to be uninstalled. I'm at the end of my rope, so to speak. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
hi, I would like some help again. please. I have adobe flash player version 9,0,124,0 installed,(That's what the Adobe flash player version checker tell me it is), and it REFUSES to uninstall. I mean I've used the "uninstaller" from adobe, I've used an "uninstallation program" to uninstall it. Every time I do that, and reboot, I go to check it and it says it's still installed. It's a real pain, because I can't ugrade it to the the latest greatest version, since the previous is supposed to be uninstalled. I'm at the end of my rope, so to speak. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Something to try......go to FileHippo.com - Download Free Software...all kinds of neat software there.
Look on the list of popular software "CCleaner" is at the top....among other things it has a good uninstaller...I've used it a few times on programs that the microsoft uninstaller can't uninstall.
If you should use the other functions, leave the program on it's default settings unless you know what you're doing.
It also has a registry cleaner, but back-up your registry if you use it.
Been using it on three PC's for a while and never had to use the backup that it saved but you never know.
My wife only uses it on her PC to clean up the temporary files that buid up with no problems.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Sounds like the registry entries are buggered, chances are it is uninstalled but has an orphaned entry left in the registry.

Remove Orphaned Entries in Add or Remove Programs
[FONT=Century Gothic, Arial, Helvetica] Remove Orphaned Entries in Add or Remove Programs [/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic, Arial, Helvetica]Sometimes, after you uninstall a program, its entry still remains in the Add or Remove Programs dialog box. When you click on Change/Remove in the dialog box, you get an error, telling you that the program no longer exists. This can be a major headache, if you install and test a lot of different programs. [/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic, Arial, Helvetica]You can remove these orphan entries: [/FONT]

• [FONT=Century Gothic, Arial, Helvetica]
  • From a command line or from the Run line, run regedit. This opens the Registry Editor.
  • Select the folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and follow the folder path \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall.
  • Click on the + sign to expand the listing.
  • Look for the name of the program with the orphaned entry.
  • Delete the entire listing for the software with the orphaned entry, by highlighting it and pressing the Delete key.
  • Close the Registry. The orphaned entry will be gone. [/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic, Arial, Helvetica]Note, editing the registry is not for everyone. You can really mess up your system if you have problems. Make sure you back up your registry before doing anything else. You do this by selecting the "Export Registry" option in the Registry menu in RegEdit.[/FONT]

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Sounds like the registry entries are buggered, chances are it is uninstalled but has an orphaned entry left in the registry.
You can really mess up your system if you have problems. Make sure you back up your registry before doing anything else. You do this by selecting the "Export Registry" option in the Registry menu in RegEdit.[/B][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
I just hate having to go in the registry....and the reason I like CCleaner
It will remove registry keys for uninstalled programs

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I just hate having to go in the registry....and the reason I like CCleaner
It will remove registry keys for uninstalled programs

Registry editing is a ball, it's like Russian Roulette with your PC. Provided he backs the registry up, he shouldn't have a problem. I used to take seniors through the process of fixing winsock keys back in the windows 98 days.... that was a hoot.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
One of our guys got a virus on his laptop, and I did a quick search, the way to remove it was to edit registry entries, among other steps, which I've done before. I told him that if it was my own machine, I wouldn't hesitate, but because it was his work laptop, maybe he should contact the contracted IT guy. Who then proceeded to not be able to remove the virus, didn't do any research, just depended on anti virus tools, and then did a complete wipe out and reinstall, but failed to recover most of his old email messages or mailboxes, and didn't reinstall all of the programs that were there before.

There's a reason why I don't let our IT contractor touch my computer. I hate it when people are paid to do a bad half assed job.

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
DurkaDurka, I followed your recommendation, and went into the registry, then navigated to the appropriate area. The was no reference to adobe flash player. I did back up the registry, and ran a registry cleaner. It found a lot of dead stuff, so It fixed what It could, and removed the rest. Went to check, and the old version of flash still shows as installed. I appreciate the response. Any other ideas? Thanks.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
The Adobe Flash Player vulnerability Virus

Hopefully, HTML 5 puts flash out of it's misery.

My android phone came with Flash installed, was the first piece of bloatware I removed from it, I find flash to be rather useless on a 3,5' screen.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
My phone is mounted to the wall in same place since 1952. It has no screen so I won't go blind and no texting so I won't have thumbs capable of cracking walnuts.

If I'm not home and you aren't my wife or secretary. You won't hear from me until I'm dam well ready to call back.

It's a wonderful and liberating system.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
My phone is mounted to the wall in same place since 1952. It has no screen so I won't go blind and no texting so I won't have thumbs capable of cracking walnuts.

If I'm not home and you aren't my wife or secretary. You won't hear from me until I'm dam well ready to call back.

It's a wonderful and liberating system.

"phone" is a bit of a misnomer in my case, I use it primarily for mobile data, I like being able to read the news etc while I'm on the subway.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I like reading the disposable/recycleable 30" x 60" news screen that is delivered to my door at 6AM

Years ago I did embrace the technology of mobilty but then found myself shelling out $200 a month for **** I coul;d do from home when I had time to do it.