Unbe-effing-lievable.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Plus it is harder to commit voter fraud when people have to show they are who they are.

Shoot... my parents have IDs. They are elderly. They had IDs when they were young.

I am amazed then that you as a Canadian with a Voter ID Law aren't raging in the streets trying to protect your poor, minorities, and elderly if you are so dead set against ID Laws.

I read Everything...

...You're caught. We both know it.

So then you understand that the laws in Canada are different than the laws being proposed and implemented in the US?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So then you understand that the laws in Canada are different than the laws being proposed and implemented in the US?

Don't change the subject. Your laws... according to the opponents of the voter ID laws are JUST as worse.

They do NOT want to show ANY form of ID! END OF STORY!

Many variations of the law are being proposed in many states. All are deemed racist and disenfranchising to poor, minorities, and elderly. And Canada's laws would fall into that category.

Which Voter ID Law Option do you prefer in Canada? 1... 2... or 3?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Don't change the subject. Your laws... according to the opponents of the voter ID laws are JUST as worse.

They do NOT want to show ANY form of ID! END OF STORY!

I'm sure you can find some crazy person or a quote out of context that supports this idea, but the fact is that this is not the mainstream thought.

The issue is making the laws stricter when there really isn't any justification other than making it harder for a lot of people who don't support them to vote.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Many variations of the law are being proposed in many states. All are deemed racist and disenfranchising to poor, minorities, and elderly. And Canada's laws would fall into that category.

Which Voter ID Law Option do you prefer in Canada? 1... 2... or 3?

Lol, which category are you talking about?

I'm me and I can prove it. It's they believe they should be taken at their words in a world of fibbers and frauds I'd wonder about....

Maintaining proper ID and other documentation is a known problem in marginalized groups.

Increasing the ID requirements in order to vote puts another barrier between these people and participation in the political system.

You may be worried about "fibbers and frauds", but the data shows that they are a much smaller population than the people who would be negatively effected by stricter voter ID laws.

How many honest voters is it ok to impede in order to fight the handful of voter fraud cases that actually occur?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I'm sure you can find some crazy person or a quote out of context that supports this idea, but the fact is that this is not the mainstream thought.

Well you're right to a point. I do not think providing a form of ID to vote is racist or disenfranchising. I think it is common sense to have to show the people at the polling station that someone is who they are.

HOWEVER... the opponents of Voter ID Laws are rabid about this and they are all in agreement that having to show ANY form of ID is racist and disenfranchising to the poor, minorities, and the elderly.

The issue is making the laws stricter when there really isn't any justification other than making it harder for a lot of people who don't support them to vote.

Sure there is justification. They want to stop voter fraud. It is difficult to stop it because you do not need an ID. You just need to give a name and you get a ballot! How stupid is that!

Canada has the right idea. Make people have a form of identification before they get a ballot.

The speed limit of the Mass Pike is 65MPH by Law. We don't have any police patrolling or giving out tickets on the Mass Pike therefore nobody is speeding.

lol

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
...You're caught. We both know it.

I beg to differ. You are the one that keeps prattling on about our voter ID laws when it's been shown that a utility bill or the word of a friend is all that is required. Clearly....and I mean CLEARLY, the laws propsosed in the States are nothing like those in Canada. But please...do keep trying.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Lol, which category are you talking about?

Maintaining proper ID and other documentation is a known problem in marginalized groups.

Increasing the ID requirements in order to vote puts another barrier between these people and participation in the political system.

You may be worried about "fibbers and frauds", but the data shows that they are a much smaller population than the people who would be negatively effected by stricter voter ID laws.

How many honest voters is it ok to impede in order to fight the handful of voter fraud cases that actually occur?
Who's talking about honest voters? They're the ones you don't have to worry about because they have nothing to hide. The world to which I refer is the one of politics, power and election promises.

What do those folk in 'marginalized groups' live on?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Well you're right to a point. I do not think providing a form of ID to vote is racist or disenfranchising. I think it is common sense to have to show the people at the polling station that someone is who they are.

HOWEVER... the opponents of Voter ID Laws are rabid about this and they are all in agreement that having to show ANY form of ID is racist and disenfranchising to the poor, minorities, and the elderly.

Again, this isn't true. They are protesting the implementation of stricter laws when the only discernible "benefit" is that it will make it harder for many legitimate voters to cast their ballot.

In Canada, you actually can cast a ballot without any form of ID through vouching.

Sure there is justification. They want to stop voter fraud. It is difficult to stop it because you do not need an ID. You just need to give a name and you get a ballot! How stupid is that!

Canada has the right idea. Make people have a form of identification before they get a ballot.

The speed limit of the Mass Pike is 65MPH by Law. We don't have any police patrolling or giving out tickets on the Mass Pike therefore nobody is speeding.

lol

How stupid can it be if it works? The data shows that the number of voter fraud cases are extremely low.

It certainly is not the case that nobody is monitoring voting in the US. They have a very rigorous system to ensure that all votes counted are legitimate.

Who's talking about honest voters? They're the ones you don't have to worry about because they have nothing to hide. The world to which I refer is the one of politics, power and election promises.

What do those folk in 'marginalized groups' live on?

Honest voters are implicitly central to any discussion of voter ID rules. You can't talk about preventing fraud without also considering how those measure affect the honest people who are just trying to exercise their right to vote.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Again, this isn't true. They are protesting the implementation of stricter laws when the only discernible "benefit" is that it will make it harder for many legitimate voters to cast their ballot.

In Canada, you actually can cast a ballot without any form of ID through vouching.

How stupid can it be if it works? The data shows that the number of voter fraud cases are extremely low.

It certainly is not the case that nobody is monitoring voting in the US. They have a very rigorous system to ensure that all votes counted are legitimate.

Honest voters are implicitly central to any discussion of voter ID rules. You can't talk about preventing fraud without also considering how those measure affect the honest people who are just trying to exercise their right to vote.
How does producing an ID affect an honest voter any more than producing an ID to cash a cheque?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
How does producing an ID affect an honest voter any more than producing an ID to cash a cheque?

Your right to cash a cheque is not enshrined in the constitution.

There are lots of places that will cash cheques without ID though. It is one of the things that keeps those Money Mart type places in business.

Last edited:

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Read Bill C - 23 Fair election act.

Yup, I am well aware of what our dear leader is pushing through the house right now. Eaglesmack declared that he didn't want to speak about proposed laws in Canada though.

The new bill that the Conservatives are crafting is really quite disturbing. They are making it harder for marginalized people to vote, they are cutting Elections Canada's ability to educate people about voting, and opening up a campaign financing loophole specifically tailored to their current infrastructure.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Neither is the right of a non-qualified person to vote.

We are talking about people who are in fact qualified to vote and what kind of barriers to voting should be allowed.

Answer me this. How many qualified people in Texas are you ok with impeding in order to combat the 1.8 cases of voter fraud per year in that state?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I beg to differ. You are the one that keeps prattling on about our voter ID laws when it's been shown that a utility bill or the word of a friend is all that is required. Clearly....and I mean CLEARLY, the laws propsosed in the States are nothing like those in Canada. But please...do keep trying.

Voter Identification.

Perhaps you should educate yourself on the laws that are being proposed in the states. They all aren't universal.

And Canada's Voter ID Laws... according to opponents of Voter ID Laws in the States would be considered draconian simply because you are asking voters to identify themselves.

It was a valiant effort Cannuck but once again facts have stopped you cold.

Yup, I am well aware of what our dear leader is pushing through the house right now. Eaglesmack declared that he didn't want to speak about proposed laws in Canada though.

The new bill that the Conservatives are crafting is really quite disturbing. They are making it harder for marginalized people to vote, they are cutting Elections Canada's ability to educate people about voting, and opening up a campaign financing loophole specifically tailored to their current infrastructure.

Heck the law you have in place as it is would be considered disenfranchising by the opponents! See how conservative Canada is?

I think Canada's Voter ID Laws would be ideal for the US. Have all three options available here in the states just as you folks do up there. Of course I would be considered a racist by saying that publically.

I cannot believe what little regard opponents to any voter ID law have for their constituent's intelligence. They believe the poor, minorities, and elderly are so inept and lazy that they couldn't be trusted to get or bring a form of identification to vote!

We are talking about people who are in fact qualified to vote and what kind of barriers to voting should be allowed.

So by that Canada is barring people from voting?

Answer me this. How many qualified people in Texas are you ok with impeding in order to combat the 1.8 cases of voter fraud per year in that state?

I could again fill this thread with voter fraud examples, however it would have little effect.

But here goes...

How Widespread is Voter Fraud? | 2012 Facts & Figures

It is a practical issue. Requiring photo ID to vote creates a barrier to voting that was not there before, and the people most greatly affected happen to be minorities, people who are poor, and people who are elderly.

But not all states are asking for a photo ID. Some are requiring simple proof of who you are.

The opponents think having to provide ANY proof will be disenfranchising to poor, minorities, and the elderly.

Educate yourself.

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Why do you expect answers when you do so well at avoiding them yourself?

As I asked you before: How is pulling out your ID to vote any more difficult than pulling out your ID to cash a cheque? Fraud is fraud. If it's that difficult, stay home....

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Heck the law you have in place as it is would be considered disenfranchising by the opponents! See how conservative Canada is?

I think Canada's Voter ID Laws would be ideal for the US. Have all three options available here in the states just as you folks do up there. Of course I would be considered a racist by saying that publically.

I cannot believe what little regard opponents to any voter ID law have for their constituent's intelligence. They believe the poor, minorities, and elderly are so inept and lazy that they couldn't be trusted to get or bring a form of identification to vote!

So by that Canada is barring people from voting?

This is just idiotic. Why are you spending so much time arguing that you think Canada's laws would go against your view of what voters rights people in the US would think?

I could again fill this thread with voter fraud examples, however it would have little effect.

But here goes...

How Widespread is Voter Fraud? | 2012 Facts & Figures

The list of problems there is pretty much entirely about poor maintenance of voter registration rolls. They only mention 99 cases of fraud, and they are cases where ID would not have made a lick of difference since the people were already legally on the voter rolls in each state.

Why do you expect answers when you do so well at avoiding them yourself?

As I asked you before: How is pulling out your ID to vote any more difficult than pulling out your ID to cash a cheque? Fraud is fraud. If it's that difficult, stay home....

I guess the main difference would be that you don't actually need ID to cash a cheque.

Now your turn.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
You'd have to prove that claim ... and tell me how much it's discounted

Money Mart and many of those other check cashing places will do it.

It is kind of absurd to compare a private business transaction to exercising your democratic rights though.

Now your turn.