U.S. to re-route Keystone XL due to environmental concerns

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I do, but I would love to here they why from someone who didn't even know it had happened.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I do, but I would love to here they why from someone who didn't even know it had happened.

The shortages stretched well into Saskatchewan (refining issues due to maintanance,
and shortages of some of the non-petol ingrediants at times, etc...). Can't live out
here and not know about it unless you live in a bubble.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The shortages stretched well into Saskatchewan (refining issues due to maintanance,
and shortages of some of the non-petol ingrediants at times, etc...). Can't live out
here and not know about it unless you live in a bubble.

I remember diesel shortages when I worked out West on my summer breaks from school. In 2007 and 2008, and it's been ongoing. If one refinery has an issue it cascades...that suggests to me that Canada might need some extra capacity. If one farm has a bad year, we don't have a potato shortage in the grocery store.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Some of the gas and diesel we get in B.C. comes from Washington. That means we have a refinery shortage here.
Nope!. There is a taxation problem.There is no shortage of refining in Puget Sound. That is why North Slope oil sails right past refineries in Buranaby and Pt Moody and is trucked up from WA as fuel

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I remember diesel shortages when I worked out West on my summer breaks from school. In 2007 and 2008, and it's been ongoing. If one refinery has an issue it cascades...that suggests to me that Canada might need some extra capacity. If one farm has a bad year, we don't have a potato shortage in the grocery store.

More farms than refineries....I hear you. A refinery from concept to production,
with the current hoops to jump through, takes what? Two decades or so? That's
a huge financial burden for any entity to carry. Issues in Edmonton refineries are
felt across at least 1/2 the country.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
More farms than refineries....I hear you. A refinery from concept to production,
with the current hoops to jump through, takes what? Two decades or so?

I have no idea how long it takes. I do know that Irving Oil and BP were going to build a second refinery in Saint John for $8 billion, but the deal was shelved when the economy tanked in 2008 and demand for petroleum products softened.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Diesel running out is news to me. Fill me in.

Go read the links. If you go to a gas station and they have no diesel, then they've run out. If it is happening across a large region of North America, then it's a shortage. Seems pretty straightforward...not sure what your problem is.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
5 years since pencil hit paper to what is being built in Regina right now. The next upgrader is already in the works too.

Isn't that in addition to an existing upgrader. I'm talking about the process
from a need and on open field, to producion of a salable product. Maybe
we're talking about the same thing though.

Like 15 years of paperwork and approvals, and 5 to build the facility?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Isn't that in addition to an existing upgrader. I'm talking about the process
from a need and on open field, to producion of a salable product. Maybe
we're talking about the same thing though.
Nope. Each Upgrader is on it's own. Upgrading is seperate from refining.

Go read the links. If you go to a gas station and they have no diesel, then they've run out. If it is happening across a large region of North America, then it's a shortage. Seems pretty straightforward...not sure what your problem is.
I read the links. It mentions one distribution company, Flying J not getting a full supply while diesel is being stockpiled. How are the other distribution companies who are supplied from Husky Lloydminster fairing?

What happened at Scotford to lead to issues at Petro Can in the first place?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I got freebies from Daryl Hannah.

Daryl Hannah - STOP THE KEYSTONE XL PIPELINE!! / Interviewed By Ken Spector 21st Annual EMA Awards - YouTube

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I read the links. It mentions one distribution company, Flying J not getting a full supply while diesel is being stockpiled.

Three links there Petros. A prairie wide shortage with no fuel in the tanks, and some trucking companies losing $100,000 in three months as one example in three months due to the shortage.

If it's news to you...then you must have your head in the prairie ground.