U.N. report says Britain worst place for children

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Children in rich countries

Suffer the children?

Feb 14th 2007
From Economist.com

A UN report suggests British and American children are faring badly compared with those in other rich countries

EPA

JUDGING by the loud howls of concern this week, the lot of children in Britain and America is a rather terrible one. On Wednesday February 14th Unicef published a report comparing the well-being of young people in 21 rich countries, and concluded that British and American youths endure the worst quality of life of any. In contrast, North European children, especially the Nordics, apparently have a lovely time. Cue hand-wringing from a lot of worried Anglo-American parents.

In fact, as the authors of the UN report admit, such broad conclusions need to be kept in some perspective. Many of the data presented are hardly new or surprising: who did not already know that rates of teenage pregnancy are high in Britain, or that junk-food-guzzling kids are getting dangerously fat in America? Accurate comparisons of social and educational trends, between countries, are also notoriously tricky to make. Perhaps most important, the report could cast more light (though it does give some) on how child welfare is changing over time. Rates of infant mortality, child deaths caused by accidents or other scores of health and safety, for example, show that children in all these rich countries in fact enjoy an historically unparalleled quality of life.

That said, there is much in the report that is worth noting. The authors drew on 40 different indicators of child welfare, divided into six general categories, and ranked the countries accordingly. Anglo-Americans with many single-parent families, greater household-income inequality and worse social habits consistently scored badly on almost every measure. What is particularly instructive, however, are the clues to why this is the case.

Street children: Child poverty in Britain is nothing new, as this 19th century photo shows.

Take the material well-being of children. Evidently this matters a great deal, though sceptics might question whether household-income inequality, self-reported deprivation and counting how few books a child has in his house are necessarily the best measures of it. The report concludes that the most effective means of cutting child poverty is not boosting general levels of employment, nor trying to ensure that children live with two parents (many Swedish kids live with just one, and seem not to suffer as a result on this particular score), but making sure state benefits are high for children.

Countries like the Nordics that spend a lot of GDP (more than 10%) on social transfers consistently have low levels of child poverty. Piqued by being ranked bottom of the class, Britain’s government has been quick to point out that recent British spending has helped cut both absolute and relative child poverty there.

The table on the right shows that British and American children - but especially the British - are worst behaved and are more likely to take risks than their counterparts in other rich countries. But, in some way (even though many might disagree), this could be a good thing.

Where Britain and America really score badly, however, is in the categories of relationships and risky behaviour. British and American children apparently spend less time (and eat fewer meals) with their parents, compared with the other countries, and seem to be somewhat less happy with their friends and in school. Some of this is especially messy to assess and the report’s authors acknowledge “obvious problems of definition” when subjective measures and self-reporting are compared. Maybe British and American children are better at moaning than others. But many of the data seem reliable enough. There is statistical evidence (at least in Britain and America) that children in single-parent families are worse off in some ways, when school drop-out rates or eventual educational attainment are measured, for example. And family breakdown may be a contributing cause to the worryingly high rates of risky behaviour—younger sex, more drug taking, dreadful diets, and high levels of drinking, bullying and violence—in Britain and America.

The question, then, is what to do about any of this? It seems rather more likely that others are going to take up British and American cultural habits—more junk food, more single-parents—than the other way around. And while governments can spend more on cutting child poverty, whatever politicians promoting family values may say, they can do relatively little to encourage parents to stick together for the sake of their children, let alone to enforce a regular family meal or lots of bedtime stories.

economist.com

Last edited:

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
that's impressive...shows my hypothesis about the US being more like us than they care to admit...in a great many ways.....but we dont lie about it
* land of the free, home of the brave......doesnt take bravery to treat kids badly

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I'm not too concerned about surveys like this. They generally find what they want to. Granted, a lot of kids here are spoiled, lazy and obnoxious but I doubt they'd trade places with a child over in Europe. No matter where kids are in the West, they have it too good. A little deprivation and a stiff measure of hard work might actually improve them.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
I'm not too concerned about surveys like this. They generally find what they want to. Granted, a lot of kids here are spoiled, lazy and obnoxious but I doubt they'd trade places with a child over in Europe. No matter where kids are in the West, they have it too good. A little deprivation and a stiff measure of hard work might actually improve them.

although, if they want booze and tobacco legally, France and Germany is where it's at.....I do hope by europe your not including the UK

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
The UK is a First World nation. There wil be pockets of poverty but so what. As long as people in free societies are allowed to make choices, some of them will screw up. Whoopee. I ain't concerned. I don't take such surveys/studies seriously. Most of those doing them should get a real job.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I see the Brits on this thread went ballistic ....as usual...I have some news for you Daz, Americans couldn't care less where they "rank" on anything. Be it 20th for raising kids or 37th for health care. Doesn't matter.

Oh ya, explain this "Imperial Denial", it sounds entertaining.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
...besides, you just have to read a chalres Dickens (you know, the man the US sent to jail) novel to realise how historically bad Britain treats it's kids...

I think you mean John Dickens, Charles' father, who was sent to debters prison, in England!

Carmoral

Nominee Member
Aug 4, 2006
This is part of the reason i left. It's not just the politicians either. There is a culture there which is not geared to children. They are thought of as annoying and noisy, and to be kept out of public places. There are shops which allow dogs but not children. I wanted to bring up kids and canada seemed like a better place to do it.
I totally agree!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Why won't the Left concede that family breakdown is the cause of so much misery?

15th February 2007
Daily Mail

19th Century London street children huddle together for warmth and safety.

Two weeks ago, the all-knowing Economist magazine informed us that we have enjoyed 'a period of extraordinary prosperity'.

Fewer children and pensioners live in poverty than was the case ten years ago, and crime is 'broadly down'. We have never had it so good.

A fortnight later, a United Nations report tells a very different story. British children are the worst off among the world's richest nations in terms of family breakdown, drink, drugs, teenage sex - almost anything you care to mention.

We might be suspicious of such generalisations if they did not in large measure confirm our own experience and observations.

If you look at society through the prism of material wellbeing, as the Economist tends to, you don't see the whole picture.

The same might be said of the Government, which has responded to the United Nations report by complaining that its data are several years out of date.

It asserts that many children have "been lifted out of poverty" in the past few years, and that things are better than the report says they are. Doesn't this betray an alarmingly superficial understanding of the problems we face?

Of course poverty should be eradicated, but, if it ever is, there will still be unhappy children, almost certainly more than in many poorer countries.

After all, in absolute terms even the very poor in Britain are incomparably richer than they were 50 years ago, and yet the problems which the report suggests have made our children unhappier have multiplied many times.

There is something much deeper going on here, something which goes back far beyond the advent of New Labour or the Thatcherite years. It has to do with the family as it has evolved in Britain over the past two or three hundred years.

Anyone who has visited continental Europe, from the Protestant north to the Catholic south, knows that in almost all these countries the family remains a stronger and more resilient unit than it does in Britain.

In much of the Continent, for example, the old are often looked after at home, rather than being shunted into 'care homes', as they are in modern Britain.

Young children are much more often taken to restaurants and cafes by their parents, even during the evening. When they grow older, they are likely to stay longer in the family home than is the case in Britain, where the usual custom is to turf them out as soon as possible.

No doubt the image of the happy extended family on the Continent is something of a myth - but only something of one. Family ties are usually much stronger there. There is much to suggest that Europeans generally like and value children more than we do.

A French visitor to the grand house of Chatsworth at the end of the 18th century was appalled by the neglected state of the children, who, despite being the offspring of the enormously rich Duke and Duchess of Devonshire, wore dirty clothes, lived in draughty attic rooms, were seldom fed and rarely saw their parents.

Until recently, the upper classes preferred their children to be brought up by nannies. They, and those members of the middle classes who aped them, couldn't wait to pack off the little blighters at eight to preparatory school, leaving the tiresome business of bringing them up to others.

Today's Telegraph (based on Hogarth's 1751 print of the London Gin Craze when the city's poor became hugely addicted to the drink, leading to such cases as drunken women dropping their babies.)

From the mid 19th century - under the influence of the Church, the example of Queen Victoria and the Royal Family, and sentimental evocations of family life by authors such as Charles Dickens - the respectable middle classes, followed by the working class, developed a more indulgent attitude towards children.

Since the Sixties, though, Leftist middle-class intellectuals have persistently decried the family, asking us to believe that, far from being the bedrock of society, it is the nursery of many of its ills.

Far more than their counterparts in Europe, they have denigrated the institution of marriage, and contended that one parent is just as good as two.

Their arguments have infected governments of both hues, which, again unlike most in Europe, have steadily withdrawn from families most of the legal and fiscal privileges they once enjoyed.

Yet surely all but the most blinkered ideologue can now acknowledge a link between family breakdown and the scourges which the United Nations report says are more prevalent in Britain than in any other rich country.

Better education and less poverty, indispensable though they are, will not make children feel more loved.

Tight, loving families, in which discipline is exercised moderately but firmly, are more likely to produce children who are happier, as well as being less prone to take refuge in binge drinking, drugs and promiscuous teenage sexual relationships.

This point seems so obvious than one hesitates to make it, yet even now there are plenty of people who think that government - through the provision of better education and wider distribution of resources - can solve these problems. It can't. It can create a more felicitous framework in which improvement is possible.

For example, it can, and should, stop penalising married couples through the tax system and then, wonder of wonders, even introduce fiscal incentives to make family life more attractive.

All this would be very useful, but it is going to take more than that to move us from the model of fragmenting family life in this country, where members of a family sit down to share a meal less often than they do in other European countries, towards the Continental model. Government can help, but it cannot force people to adopt new values.

Our history has taken us very far from our Continental counterparts. In Catholic Europe, the Church even now remains a bulwark of the family.

Here, the Church has long deserted the field of battle, and does not presume to offer much advice, far less exhortation.

The Tories' vision of small, independent charities helping young people in place of the monolithic Welfare State is an attractive one, though not even its most enthusiastic supporters would pretend that it is a cure for all the ills which the United Nations report dwells on.

There are no instant, all-purpose solutions. Perhaps we should derive some comfort from the thought that, despite everything, there are millions of loving families whose parents strive to do their best for their children, who both work hard to provide for them and give them the time and care they need.

Many mothers, though, feel driven by economic pressures to go out to work when their first instinct would be to stay at home and look after their young children.

Nor should we forget that there are some couples in this country whose first thought is not to consign aged parents to the care of strangers when they could look after them themselves.

What is surely clear, even if the Economist cannot grasp it, is that much greater national wealth has not reduced the difficulties which many families and children face, or made them happier.

Rather the opposite, in fact. Any government that believes the solution simply lies in doling out greater resources will be bound to fail.

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
I think you mean John Dickens, Charles' father, who was sent to debters prison, in England!

1. John Dickens was from Pompey, so as a Sotonian, that doesnt suprise me at all...BUT, no Charles Dickens was imprisoned in the US for a few reasons, one being that he didnt take too kindly to Americans stealing the copyright of his books....which as an English copyright, the US government didnt recogniese.

and ITN, my comment about Imperial Denial....well, did you notice as soon as something negative was mentioned about Britain, an American almost immediatley brought up the old Empire?...it's at the beginning of this thread, but the denail comment...well, I'm just suggesting that if the US found itself as power at the age of empire building as it has found itself post-empire imperial days....it would almost certainly strive for a similar policy...this is conjecture, but behind the big words of the declaration and the democracy-building rhetoric the US initially and quite clearly are still seeking the same ideals.

I just think that beating us around the head about the old empire is wrong from a country who owes what it is to colonialism (please, Ii dont wanna argue this one as it's not really arguable...you cant change your history or deny it)...and to many observers, global dominance is what the US is and has been striving for since it became powerful enough to do so.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
(please, Ii dont wanna argue this one as it's not really arguable...you cant change your history or deny it)...and to many observers, global dominance is what the US is and has been striving for since it became powerful enough to do so.

No no, I certainly won't argue the point; you see it's not my history either! I'm a US citizen, I just live in Britain for several months of the year! Personally, I don't care if Dickens flew to the moon every third Wednesday, I just had never heard that he was in prison in the States!

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
No no, I certainly won't argue the point; you see it's not my history either! I'm a US citizen, I just live in Britain for several months of the year! Personally, I don't care if Dickens flew to the moon every third Wednesday, I just had never heard that he was in prison in the States!

yep, I bet you didnt know he played in Goal for Portsmouth Football (Soccer) Club (currently in the top flight of the English Premiership), but as he did indeed come from pompey, I wish they locked him up and thru away the key (if only he didnt write such brilliant classics).

I recall reading about him being locked up in the US though, I'm not 100% sure what for though.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
and ITN, my comment about Imperial Denial....well, did you notice as soon as something negative was mentioned about Britain, an American almost immediatley brought up the old Empire?

YEah well sorry to burst your bubble, but the only other American on this thread (besdies myself) is jimmoyer, and he quite crealy defended the British Empire. MikeyDB who scolded you, is Canadian.

...it's at the beginning of this thread, but the denail comment...well, I'm just suggesting that if the US found itself as power at the age of empire building as it has found itself post-empire imperial days....it would almost certainly strive for a similar policy...this is conjecture, but behind the big words of the declaration and the democracy-building rhetoric the US initially and quite clearly are still seeking the same ideals.

I just think that beating us around the head about the old empire is wrong from a country who owes what it is to colonialism (please, Ii dont wanna argue this one as it's not really arguable...you cant change your history or deny it)...and to many observers, global dominance is what the US is and has been striving for since it became powerful enough to do so.

Really? After the US won the Spanish American War, what did it do? I'll let you answer that for yourself.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Really? After the US won the Spanish American War, what did it do? I'll let you answer that for yourself.

It tried to build an Empire, but the American Empire only lasted a decade (1898-1908 ) and at its height was only around a quarter the size of the British Empire due to the fact that the Americans haven't got the ingenuity, know-how, perseverance and good-enough armed forces to build an empire of the scale - both in size and length of time it existed - that the British managed.

THE WORLD'S 50 LARGEST EMPIRES OF ALL TIME (The number in brackets is the year at which each empire was at its biggest)
  1. British Empire - 36.6 million km² [1] (under King George V in 1921) (excludes Antarctic territorial claims)
  2. Mongol Empire - 33.2 million km² [1] (under Khublai Khan in 1279) (excludes Northern Siberia)
  3. Russian Empire - 23.7 million km² [2] (under Alexander II in 1867[3])
  4. Spanish Empire - 19 million km² [1] (under King Phillip II)
  5. Arab Empire - 13.2 million km² [1] (under the Umayyad Caliph Al-Walid I)
  6. Qing Empire - 12 million km² [4] (under Emperor Qianlong).
  7. French Empire - 12 million km² [1]
  8. Portuguese Empire - 10.4 million km² [1]
  9. American Empire - 10 million km² [5] (1898-1902 and 1906-1908 )
  10. Achaemenid Persian Empire - 7.5 million km² [6] (under Darius the Great)
  11. Japanese Empire - 7.4 million km² [1] (during World War II)
  12. Ming Empire - 6.5 million km² [2]
  13. Han Empire - 6 million km² [2]
  14. Ottoman Empire - 5.6 million km² [1]
  15. Roman Empire - 5.6 million km² [1] (under Emperor Trajan)
  16. Tang Empire - 5.4 million km² [2] (under Emperor Gaozong of Tang [7])
  17. Greek Empire - 5.4 million km² [1] (under Alexander the Great)
  18. Maurya Empire - 5 million km² [2] (under Ashoka the Great)
  19. Mexican Empire - 4.7 million km² [1]
  20. Timurid Empire - 4.4 million km² [2]
  21. Mughal Empire - 4 million km² [2]
  22. Hunnic Empire - 4 million km² [2] (under Attila the Hun)
  23. Seljuq Empire - 3.9 million km² [2]
  24. Seleucid Empire - 3.9 million km² [1]
  25. Italian Empire - 3.8 million km² (during World War II)
  26. Dutch Empire - 3.7 million km² [1]
  27. Nazi German Empire - 3.6 million km² [1] (during World War II)
  28. Gupta Empire - 3.5 million km² [2] (under Chandragupta II)
  29. Sassanid Persian Empire - 3.5 million km² [2] (under Khosrau I)
  30. Ghaznavid Empire - 3.4 million km² [2]
  31. Delhi Sultanate - 3.2 million km² [2]
  32. Khazar Empire - 3 million km² [2]
  33. Median Empire - 2.8 million km² [2]
  34. Byzantine Empire - 2.7 million km² [2]
  35. Belgian Empire - 2.5 million km² [2]
  36. Chola Empire - 2.5 million km² [8] (under Rajendra Chola I)
  37. Incan Empire - 2.0 million km²
  38. Majapahit Empire - 1.5 million km² [9]
  39. Neo-Assyrian Empire - 1.4 million km² [2]
  40. Aksumite Empire - 1.3 million km² [2]
  41. Srivijaya Empire - 1.2 million km² [2]
  42. Frankish Empire - 1.2 million km² [2]
  43. Harsha Empire - 1 million km² [2] (under Harsha Vardhana)
  44. Egyptian Empire - 1 million km² [2]
  45. Almoravid Empire - 1 million km² [2]
  46. Khmer Empire - 1 million km² [2]
  47. Akkadian Empire - 650,000 km² [10]
  48. Pala Empire - 600,000 km² [11]
  49. Nanda Empire - 600,000 km² [11]
  50. Neo-Babylonian Empire - 500,000 km² [10]

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
British kids are not 'miserable'... they're arsey

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Our adolescents are vile, stroppy, sarcastic ingrates, which explains exactly why their lives are worth living[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Barbara Ellen[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Sunday February 18, 2007[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]The Observer[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]
[/FONT]

And so, in the only parents' race that really matters, we limp in last, egg fallen from the spoon, potato sack tangled around the ankles. Last week, the Unicef report (An Overview of Child Wellbeing in Rich Countries) placed our children overall bottom of the world's 21 most developed territories, behind the top-ranking Netherlands and Scandinavia, and countries such as Poland and the Czech Republic.

Not only were British children ranked 'worst off' in the developed world - with the highest rates of drunkenness, obesity, bullying, early sexual intercourse, cannabis-taking, and teenage pregnancy - they made it clear that they felt worst off: unhealthy, unhappy with family relationships and friendships, more likely to feel left out, disenfranchised. Ultimately, the picture painted by the Unicef report was of British childhood as the 'toxic' equivalent of a nuclear-waste dump, oozing through the soil of this green and pleasant land - the makings of a true asbo nation. It was time for British parents to feel ashamed and responsible, and of course we did. At first, anyway.

Hand-wringing aside, are British children really the most deprived in the developed world? The last time you looked in a school playground was it bursting at the seams with drunk, stoned, pregnant, friendless manic depressives? Would our adolescents really be better off cultivating acne in Holland or Sweden, or queuing for Clearasil in Poland? While no one would deny our tragic levels of child poverty, the devastating teenage pregnancy rate, and not least the recent child-shootings in south London, common sense dictates that this cannot be the whole story.

The Unicef report has already come in for criticism for ignoring younger children, and using out-of-date data, as well as (shame on them) seizing upon lone parenthood as a surefire barometer of social degeneracy (thereby branding huge numbers of children as 'failures' before they even begin). Unicef also chose to employ a bizarre 'relative poverty' grading system that conveniently ignored the fact that most of our children live the life of Master Brooklyn Beckham compared with children in less economically stable nations.

Neglected? Deprived? Those living below the poverty line are one thing, but the majority of UK adolescents are, if anything, spoiled brats. I would challenge anyone to fill a small car park with British 15-year-olds (from any social class) who don't own a mobile phone. It is also debatable whether our children are as 'disenfranchised' as depicted in the report. At one point, we're breathlessly informed that 'only 81 per cent of them really like school' (only?). But never mind that. When listening to British children talking about the spiritual wasteland that is their existence, those nice Unicef people with their clipboards failed to include the most crucial factor of all - the contrary bolshie nature of the people they were talking to; the fact that British teenagers have always loved nothing more than to pose, bitch, rebel, slag everything and everyone off, and blow endless anti-establishment raspberries (that's why it was British kids who gave birth to Punk).

Indeed, British teenagers are, have always been, by nature, rebellious, stroppy, and a lot less interested in being fair than they are in being interesting. Which to my mind is much less creepy and disturbing than the thought of all those sucky-up kids from Holland and Sweden (henceforth known as the apple-polishing nations) chirruping away about how much they respect their elders. Bearing this in mind, this was the only possible result for this study.

Unlike their Dutch or Swedish counterparts, British children were never going to answer such questions as 'Are your contemporaries kind and helpful?' with po-faced sincerity; to piously and publicly abhor the idea of sex, drugs, and other 'bad behaviour'; and pour anything other than molten scorn upon the status quo. Indeed, the vast majority of British adolescents are as they always were, as most of us were - vile, stroppy, preternaturally sarcastic ingrates, who would doubtless be labelled dangerous, disaffected sociopaths in any other European country. And this is supposed to be a bad thing?

Some of us would say (cautiously) that it isn't. While no one could seriously argue that youth in Britain have it better than everyone else (not after a week when children have been found gunned down in their bedrooms), there is evidence to suggest that things are not as bad as they seem in Britain, or quite as wonderful everywhere else. For one thing, if the true litmus test of a successful childhood is a happy adulthood then it seems strange that no one has factored in that Scandinavian adult suicide rates are double ours and than Britain's are amongst the lowest in the world.

(What happens to all those happy children who end up killing themselves?)

For another, it may be that it's the very restlessness of British youth, its inbuilt disaffection (or, to call it by its technical term, 'arsiness') that keeps our cultural heartbeat healthy and racing, as it continues to be, in terms of everything from pop to comedy, from art to fashion.

While no one is claiming that it is easy to be young in Britain, neither are our young easy. As any parent of a teenager could tell you, one is all too frequently torn between calling for a psychiatrist and screaming for an exorcist. Moreover, Oliver James's theories on 'affluenza' certainly ring true with what often comes across as an unattractively needy/greedy bunch.

However, frightening as it sometimes gets, and Unicef reports aside, maybe we should accept British adolescence for what it is, has always been - a whirling out-of-control carousel.

You can only watch and hope that your particular (stroppy, nihilistic, establishment hating, maddening, indispensable) Brit teenager manages to cling on for the ride.

guardian.co.uk

Last edited: