Turks & Caicos & Canada be good for each other

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It would be the other way around. Britain would be supporting Canada by making it an English county. Canada which, let's face it, is nothing more than a pointless, frozen wasteland, would be vastly improved.

It wasn't that long ago that Canada was regarded as an economc and fiscal basketcase, so we really shouldn't be taking economic advice from a Canadian.

It's the Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne who's in charge of the British economy, and it's currently performing far stronger than Canada's. Remember, until 2008, Britain hadn't experienced a recession since 1991, unlike Canada, which experienced one in the mid-to-late Nineties.
And the BOE is what?

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Baird says no to Turks and Caicos joining Canada
By Mark Dunn ,Senior National Reporter
First posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 03:08 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, May 26, 2014 03:34 PM EDT
OTTAWA — Will Canada ever become the world's largest exporter of bananas?
Absolutely not, and the same goes for Turks and Caicos ever becoming a Canadian province or territory, Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird says.
"We're not in the business of annexing islands in the Caribbean," he said Monday, quashing renewed dreams of a southern Canadian beachhead.
But the fantasy of shivering Canucks adopting their own passport-free archipelago to splash in turquoise waters and walk along pristine beaches lives on — fanned by a visit from the premier of the British Overseas Territory, Rufus Ewing.
Ewing and his delegation met MPs to strengthen relationships. He even paid a brief courtesy call on Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
But the notion of a merger was front and centre.
In 1917, then-prime minister Robert Borden first raised the idea of empire building with the islands, situated close to Cuba and even closer to Haiti.
But governments, fearing a surge of refugee claimants, equalization payments and the cost to implement Canada's health-care system, have politely dismissed the idea of a Caribbean cousin.
Ewing said he came to Parliament Hill to promote tourism, trade, and cultural and parliamentary bonds. Becoming part of Canada wasn't on the agenda, but it's still open for discussion, he said.
He reminded reporters of the vast Canadian investment on the islands, including major banks, law firms, hotels and a hospital, and droves of winter tourists.
But he wants to formalize closer ties with Canada before the flirtation goes any further.
"There's no marriage without some kind of relationship," he said to laughs.
Mark.Dunn@sunmedia.ca
Twitter:MarkDunnSun

Baird says no to Turks and Caicos joining Canada | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

too baird. :(

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Bull****. It was Canadian Prime Minister Robert Borden who first suggested it.

It's imperialism. Remember, Canada is the "oh-so-anti-imperialist-and-anti-empire" country which seems to want to annex the whole of the Carribean and some US states.

You once even had a political party that wanted to annex the whole of the US. Canada is becoming very imperialistic.

Have you got any evidence to back up that wild assertion?

Actually no. You are wrong yet again. T&C first brought this up close to 20 years ago but since Canada insists on hieing short sighted governments it has not happened yet.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Just face it, we have a lower unemployment rate than you and our economy is predicted to grow 3% this year, compared to a poxy 2% for Canada. Denying it won't change those facts, and I'm happy that I'm in the knowledge of those facts and it's not my problem that you deny stonewall facts. The British economy, as has been reported many times in the media is, once again, outpacing the Western world (as it did in the Noughties until the global recession).

Britain also has the world's second-biggest aerospace industry and UK car production has just overtaken France's to become the third biggest and most efficient in Europe. Add to that Britain's world-leading financial services industry and world-beating entertainment industry and we have an economy that is to be envied.

Good luck in your sluggish economy growth for 2014 as Britain powers ahead of its rivals.

Why would our lights go out in 2020?

You're relying too much on "green" energy, which is expensive and utterly useless. You should be building more nuclear and coal-fired power stations.

Looks like they want to stay with the British. That's a sensible decision. They obviously know which side their bread is buttered, and they've probably looked at countries such as Zimbabwe, which were wealthy and booming under British rule but became murderous dictatorships upon independence (Zimbabwe gained its independence from Britain in 1980), and thought: "We're better off under British rule".

British rule is good rule.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I'm sure the Cubans would love to trade their revolution to be permanent cabana boys and cocktail waitresses for Canadian tourist. :)

Pretty much what they are now Eagle.

Poor nation that the US is going to keep on its knees until they can install another Batista or somesuch.

Nice place to go if you like older cars, and hot music.

My son says the American tourist is becoming more noticable.

Whatever. I ain't goin.

Your auto industry?

What a laugh... 'your' auto industry is owned by the Germans and East Indians

Most of their ****ing island is owned by East Indians

It's not going to happen; too expensive to upgrade T&C to first-world status (medicare, education, etc.). Right now they are on British standards.

All have bad teeth ?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Your auto industry?

What a laugh... 'your' auto industry is owned by the Germans and East Indians

At least we've got one. And you're no room to talk. Canada's automotive industry is owned by the Yanks and Japs.

Britain is the land of Aston Martin, Bentley, Daimler, Jaguar, Lagonda, Land Rover, Lotus, MG, Mini, Morgan and Rolls-Royce.

As for Canada I can't think of any cars from that country which are loved and driven throughout the world.

British cars, like Great Britain herself, are the epitome of cool.

What Canadian cars are renowned throughout the world?

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
At least we've got one.

Britain is the land of Aston Martin, Bentley, Daimler, Jaguar, Lagonda, Land Rover, Lotus, MG, Mini, Morgan and Rolls-Royce.

As for Canada I can't think of any cars from that country which are loved and driven throughout the world.

We don't?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
We don't?

The only Canadian car that I can think of is the Dynasty IT - and, in typical Canadian style, it's a "green" car that you have to plug in and can't go faster than 25mph. You'll never see Bond driving one.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Pretty much what they are now Eagle.

Great point!

Poor nation that the US is going to keep on its knees until they can install another Batista or somesuch.

Actually Obama and Clinton (Hillary type) reached out to Cuba at the beginning of Obama's first term and the Castros slapped their hands away.

The Castros NEED the embargo and boogeyman to keep control and power. Once that embargo is lifted so long revolution.

My son says the American tourist is becoming more noticable.

There will be more and more and once that embargo is lifted Cuba will be a short flight from Miami and put on the cruise ship circuit from Ft. Lauderdale.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Looks like they want to stay with the British. That's a sensible decision. They obviously know which side their bread is buttered, and they've probably looked at countries such as Zimbabwe, which were wealthy and booming under British rule but became murderous dictatorships upon independence (Zimbabwe gained its independence from Britain in 1980), and thought: "We're better off under British rule".

British rule is good rule.

I don't know about that.

What I do know is, based on your comment, you have no idea who Baird is.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I doubt any native Americans would agree with Blackhead on British rule. The Brits are only slightly better than the Spanish or present day governments.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
I was in Turks & Caicos in January, the locals (those asked anyway) have zero desire to become part of Canada or anyone else for that matter, they are way too laid back to have any interest.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Turks and Caicos: A Caribbean paradise for Canada?
By Rita DeMontis ,Toronto Sun
First posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 08:00 AM EDT
PROVIDENCIALES, Turks and Caicos Islands -- Thanks to the recent visit of Turks and Caicos Premier Rufus Ewing, Canadians are once again fantasizing about the idea of inviting this tropical paradise into the federation fold as a new Canadian province or territory. This despite Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird throwing cold Atlantic water on the idea by saying, "we're not in the business of annexing islands in the Caribbean."
To that I say -- rats! As far back as 1917, when then Prime Minister Robert Borden first floated the idea, Canada has toyed with the possibility of legally embracing this jewel into the federation fold. In recent days, whenever the subject comes up so do the arguments about equalization payments, health-care costs, refugee issues and on and on.
Such a shame as, truthfully, all these government naysayers need is one visit to this pristine part of the south and the deal would be sealed before the sun set. At least that's how I felt during a recent visit to Providenciales, where I found myself immediately captivated by the beauty of the beach, my feet thoroughly buried in warm sand while my eyes scanned the horizon.
---

Exclusive Ocean Club Resorts (Turks and Caicos) offer for Sun Media readers:
Call U.S. Reservations at 1-800-457-8787 and mention ”Sun Media” for up to 20% discount off travel from Jan. 3-April 5, 2015 (exclusions apply). Limited time offer, valid for bookings made by June 15, 2014. For resort information, see oceanclubresorts.com.

---
Like the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos is in the Atlantic, not the Caribbean Sea, but it is generally regarded as part of the Caribbean. With baby-soft white sand and crystal clear turquoise waters, the beaches are superbly spectacular -- so perfect you're afraid they're not real.
You can stand there for hours, looking out to sea. Warm as a bath, with nary a ripple, the moment you set foot on the beach, your whole body just propels you to these calm waters, with so many iridescent shades of blue that I'm sure a few have yet to be named.
The landscape is primal, pristine, magnificent and soothing as a balm. It's hard to believe such beauty exists. But it does.
This scene was my introduction to this glorious piece of paradise, a vision that helped me survive the recent, wicked Canadian winter. During the coldest days, I found comfort revisiting memories of my visit and stay at the inviting Ocean Club Resort, where small buildings stacked with airy and elegant living quarters, complete with kitchens, are grouped around a good size pool, a great restaurant and the famous beach.
From the moment we arrived there was a sense of comfort, from our cab driver Virgil, who greeted us with the words "welcome home" and a smile as wide as the beach, to staff and residents who came to feel like family, to food so fresh and delicious, prepared with local ingredients, it left us wanting more.
Turks and Caicos is a British Overseas Territory a one-hour by flight from Miami. The islands are home to Grace Bay Beach, frequently rated "best in the world," and surrounding waters that receive high praise from divers. TCI also has the largest above-ground cave system in the Bahamas-TCI archipelago and one of the Top 10 golf courses in the Caribbean.
Home to world-famous Grace Bay Beach, Providenciales -- or Provo -- is the main tourist island and the heart of the country. This is the island everyone talks about. And despite its spanking brand-new vibe (it seems to grow daily), it is the most populated island. All international flights arrive on Provo and the humble airport looks as if it might burst as it tries to keep up with the surge in tourism.
While there, I kept bumping into Canadians -- from tourists to banks officials to hotel owners, even chefs. Canada has played a major role in helping to build up the islands' infrastructure; InterHealth Canada developed, constructed and currently operates two hospitals there.
I loved spending my time just bobbing around in the water, but there is excellent fishing, numerous water-sports and you can ride a horse bareback down the beach. But don't kid yourself -- Turks and Caicos is all about tranquility, a vacation spot that is both family friendly and perfect for people who want to relax, snorkel, bask in the heat or take long walks on the beach. It doesn't have the vibrant mania of, let's say Jamaica or Mexico. There are no Cirque du Soleil shows and the nightlife borders on tame, but there is plenty of great shopping, restaurants that offer some fine culinary adventures -- even S'mores adventures on the beach after sunset.
It's also the perfect spot for weddings or other special occasions. Visitors can indulge in sunset cruises and snorkel on the world's third-largest reef in the protected marine park of Grand Turk. Add parasailing, whale-watching or just grabbing a bike tootling around -- at 98-sq.-km, you can probably bike the whole place in a day stopping for a bite here and there. (Keep in mind, driving is on the other side.)
We spent an idyllic afternoon aboard Sun Charters' Atabeyra, gliding through crystal clear waters and anchoring near a private beach for a swim from the 23-metre-long ship. I watched in amazement as a giant dark orb slipped past my toes, then later realized it was a stingray.
Apart from the stingray encounter, no one event stands out in my mind. Instead, a thousand little adventures have left me with a timeless image of a landscape of sea, water and smiles. This is a place of happiness, home to people who make you feel magical. Even the volunteer dog rescue operation -- Potcake Place on Providenciales -- stands out as a place of love and refuge.
Should Turks and Caicos become part of Canada? Only history will tell. I certainly know it has become part of my heart.
ISLAND TIDBITS
-- Located 925 km southeast of Miami, the 40 islands and cays of Turks and Caicos are made up of two archipelagos: To the east, the Turks islands, named after the native Turk's Head cactus; to the west are the Caicos, a word derived from "caya hico," which, in the language of the indigenous Lucayan Indians, means "string of islands."
-- TCI is a British Overseas Territory with a population of about 30,000 spread over eight inhabited islands. The capital is Cockburn Town on Grand Turk. English is the official language. Which European explorer first discovered TCI is debated: Some historians believe it was Juan Ponce de Leon in 1512, others believe it was Columbus in 1492. Over time, control of TCI was passed Spain, to France and finally to Britain.
-- Until the 1950s, sea salt production was the major industry, with occasional attempts at cotton, sisal and sugar-cane plantations and shipwreck salvaging. Now, tourism, fishing and financial services are the main revenue sources.
-- Providenciales is the most developed island as well as the economic and tourist epicentre. Grand Turk distantly follows in terms of infrastructure. Other inhabited islands are sparsely populated and tend to reflect the atmosphere of the old Caribbean.
-- TCI's main claims to fame are its spectacular beaches and crystal-clear waters, crowned by the world-renowned 12-km-long long Grace Bay beach on Provo. The climate complements the beaches, with sunny days and temperatures ranging from 28C to 32C being the norm.
NEED TO KNOW
-- For travel information, see turksandcaicostourism.com.
-- Some hotels offer meal plans. Many -- like Ocean Club Resort -- have full kitchens and access to outdoor barbecues. There are several large supermarkets near the resorts that are within walking distance or a short cab ride away. For details on Ocean Club, see oceanclubresorts.com.
-- Many tour operators -- Air Canada Vacations, WestJet Vacations, iTravel2000.com, Expedia, Sunquest and more -- offer seasonal packages and last-minute deals.

Turks and Caicos: A Caribbean paradise for Canada? | Turks and Caicos | Internat

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Never gonna happen.. it would destroy the economy and the locals could not afford the property because of the mad rush to stake a claim.

I think the USA should annex Canada and see who the locals would like it.. the flood of American's into Canada..

You think Toronto and Vancouver house prices are high now...

It's unfair to the people of Turks and Caicos.

Besides with Global Warming... will there be an island in 100 years or will all the residence be moving to Canada??