Turks and Caicos to join Canada?

Hamlet

Aug 25, 2006
Utah
Periodically, I've come across news items of a proposal to have the British Caribbean territory of Turks and Caicos Islands to join Canada. What does everyone think? A good or bad idea? Any problems or difficulties with achieving this?

Or does a Canadian playland in the sun sound too good to be true?

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
We can't go to the Caribbean now? Why would we want to pay for their health, education and so on? We'd just be setting ourselves up for future political issues. Canada already has too much diversity and multi this and multi that as it is.

question: Do you think the average Joe sixpack would benefit from this sun and surf?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
First of all

The Turks and Calcos are not going to join Canada.

But if they did, it would be the best thing to happen to them. It would be expensive but Canada would build a decent water and sewer system. Can you think of a tropical paradise where you can drink the water? There must be one or two out there, but I can't think of any right now. The currency would be the Canadian dollar. Compare that to Cancun where even the locals don't want Mexican money. It would be a great outlet for Canadian food products, meat, fish, etc. But, as I said, it's not going to happen.. :(.. Stupid turks and Calcos... :(

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Anyone supporting this nonsense should be impaled. We have enough problems already with integration issues and we don't need our own little border fifth column planted thousands of kilometres offshore.

Hamlet

Aug 25, 2006
Utah
RE: Turks and Caicos to j

I think the biggest question is would the Turks be drain or a benefit to Canada? I'm not convinced that it's a hornets nest. After all, the population is only 32,000. That's peanuts in a country of 32 or 33 million. I don't see them all jumping on the first flight to Fort Mac to work for the big money. I imagine most would prefer to stay where their homes are, provided they can make a living.

Now as far as paying for health care, schools and all the rest, well, Canadians are doing that already. But it's in the form of tourist dollars, instead of taxes.

Now, as for the suggestion that people should be impaled for supporting such a proposal, I find that much too meadieval. In keeping with the Turks and Caicos Islands pirate history, I propose that future supporters of this nonsense should walk the plank!

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

Hangon a moment, so Turks and Caicos's government seem to want to connect with Canada, and to me this looks like a deal put together by Britain and Canada, personally I'd do a referendem to see if the islanders want it, cus it sounds to me like a deal the big boys have put together for the future of a couple of islands that they dont really give 2 hoots to, besides, what if they want to stay british?.

Hamlet

Aug 25, 2006
Utah

Well, naturally the residents of the islands should have a say. A survey taken in 1985 or '86 revealed 90% of the islanders wanted an association with Canada. How much that has changed today, I don't know.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

I dont understand it to be honest, if I'm perfectly honest, it's like Joining Man City instead of Man United (no offence), but why dont they join the US?

sine000

Electoral Member
Aug 14, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
To much man...to much....we are already dealing with Quebec and the soverigenty of our northern island and water....we dont even have the resources to deal with some Caribbean island....were SOOO FAR away from it...

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

I think your starting to understand the situation Britain found itself in sine00 ;)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Out of curiosity,

how much do Canadians spend in Hawaii, The Grand Caymans, Jamaica, and other tropical resorts. With modern hotels and facilities how much would Americans spend in the "New" Turks and Calcos? Wouldn't it be a better thing for Canadians to spend their money "in Canada" so to speak? Like I said before, it's not going to happen anyway.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, so that I can move to Turks and Caicos without the need for documentation...and you cant ;p ;) lol

Hamlet

Aug 25, 2006
Utah

Are the Turks and Caicos really all that far away? Compare the following distances.

Toronto to Vancouver: 3366 km
Toronto to Whitehorse: 4093 km
Toronto to Turks and Caicos: 2579 km

sine000

Electoral Member
Aug 14, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: RE: Turks and Caicos to j

Hamlet said:
Are the Turks and Caicos really all that far away? Compare the following distances.

I mean as a country....HARD to rule from so far away....agree Daz_Hockey?
(like Canada and Britain)

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

see, I think they value their EU passports more than a canadian one anyway, see, it's a tricky one, for me it's like getting rid of another bit of history, the way I see the deal being done here is a sly backhander of a deal from britain to Canada to keep it in the commonwealth and not into the US or small republic hands.

Administoring the island might be less tricky now, so it shouldnt be TOO hard.

Hotshot

Electoral Member
May 31, 2006
Re: RE: Turks and Caicos to j

sine000 said:
Hamlet said:

I mean as a country....HARD to rule from so far away....agree Daz_Hockey?
(like Canada and Britain)

Your response makes no sense, but I'm glad to see you now have a buddy.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I think they wouldn't really need our help, hell they probably don't even care about health care, they probably just want NAFTA.

It would be infinately easier to manage them than the arctic..but no one would suggest making Nunuvut an indepdant nation so we don't have to deal with them.

Carribean nations wanting to join Canada should be encouraged, we can create a stronger common market and a stronger nation in general. Hell, I'd even let Haiti join Canada if it wanted..just not nearly as quickly, it would need a helluva lot of work to keep that one from being a horrible disaster, but it still could be done after 10-15 years of improvement.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Re: RE: Turks and Caicos to join Canada?

athabaska said:
We can't go to the Caribbean now? Why would we want to pay for their health, education and so on? We'd just be setting ourselves up for future political issues. Canada already has too much diversity and multi this and multi that as it is.

question: Do you think the average Joe sixpack would benefit from this sun and surf?

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about defending the north in Canada? We spend a lot of money there too, and there's probably a similar number of people living there. Does the average joe sixpack benefit from the north any more than from the caribbean?