Tuition fees protest: 3 cops injured as 20,000-strong mob lays siege to Westminster

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Harvard in fact sets its fees by the capability of the student's family to pay. Hence any family earning below a certain threshold, i think its something like $50K, will not have to pay anything, it will all be covered by the Endowment.
I'm sorry to say that it's not that way. There are a limited number of "seats" available. The competition for those few seats is intense and not based on merit alone but the personality and political outlook of the applicant which makes it biased.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I'm sorry to say that it's not that way. There are a limited number of "seats" available. The competition for those few seats is intense and not based on merit alone but the personality and political outlook of the applicant which makes it biased.

Yep, hardly a good business model for how a university should operate.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Harvard in fact sets its fees by the capability of the student's family to pay. Hence any family earning below a certain threshold, i think its something like $50K, will not have to pay anything, it will all be covered by the Endowment. Hence graduates from Harvard, who can expect amongst the most lucrative of entry jobs, will almost all enter the workforce with no debt.

That is the reverse of what the British are trying to do, in loading up students with crippling debt in an economy with little expectations most of them will be able to support themselves, much less service their student loans. Hence the real reduction of government expenditures are likely to be almost nil... it will be bookkeeping reclassification from grants to non-performing loans at best. It's all ass backwards and the British PM Cameron seems to be a little bit retarded, certainly imcompetent and disingenuous.

Sorry but your completely and utterly wrong.

Here are Harvard's tuition fees:
Quote Harvard:Tuition & Cost of Attendance

Tuition Charges

The following tuition and fee charges are in effect for the 2010-2011 academic year and are subject to change for future years. Tuition and fee charges for the 2011-2012 academic year are published in early 2011.

Full-time Students Per Academic Year $35,568.00
Part-time Students Per Course/Per Term $ 4,446.00
Advanced Doctoral Fee
(for doctoral students who have fulfilled
the tuition requirements) Per Academic Year $ 3,558.00
Per Term/Semester $ 1,779.00
Health Insurance Fees Per Academic Year $ 2,954.00
Unquote.

Harvard has a unique program in place where they allow a certain number of students to "talk their way in"
Its sort of like a Harvard scholarship.
More or less, you need to be a:
Superb athlete or sportsman,
A world traveller or explorer,
Have super good grades,
Be refereed by a person of some standing or note.
Or some such combination thereof.
After that you need to write up a superb essay or paper explaining why Harvard should let you in and exempt you from the standard entrance requirements.
Harvard accepts a certain number of above listed individuals because of there "outstanding life skills"
Once accepted tuition is whatever you can afford.
If your proven previous income and assets are under $60,000 USD its free.

Therefore Harvard tuition (scholorships exempted) is far far higher than the vast majority of UK universities.

Trex

FYI
A year at Harvard all in:
Standard Full-Time Ed.M. Budget for the 2010-2011 Academic Year (9 months)

Tuition*
$35,568
Room & Board
$14,184
Health Insurance Fees* $ 2,954
Books & Supplies $ 2,004
Local Transportation
$ 1,316
Personal Expenses
$ 3,449
Federal Loan Fees
$ 205
Total Ed.M. Student Budget
$59,680

A year at Nova Scotia's Dalhousie (BSc) all in:

Dalhousie University — Science

Annual tuition$6,510.00*
Annual additional costs
Fees
Athletics$186.00
Health services$253.00
Student association$113.00
Other$200.00
Total fees$752.00
Room and meal plan
Room and meal plan package$8,053.00*
Total room and meal plan$8,053.00
Total annual additional costs$8,805.00
Total annual cost$15,315.00
unquote Dalhousie.

$15k a year all in with a room and three hots a day.
All you need is a bus pass, the beer bong and a case of Trojans.
Seems like the steal of the century to me.

Trex

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
A public university will always seem like a steal when you compare on price to an Ivy league school...not really an apples to apples comparison. And neither might I add is the salary of say a Harvard Law graduate and a Dalhousie Law graduate.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Programs typically. Sometimes though it's just a name. I graduated from Nova Scotia Agricultural College. The Board of Governors decided to keep the name out of tradition, instead of changing the name to include "university". The idea was that becoming a "university" would increase interest, because some still think of colleges as place for vocational and diploma level education.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC

That wasn't my point. Everyone knows Harvard, and all the Ivy League schools, have extremely high standards, and only high school graduates with top marks, SAT scores, and usually exemplary interviews and public service can expect admittance.

All admissions to Harvard are based on this, no one gets in because they are rich and their father was a major contributor to the Endowment (not any more anyway). But once that admittance is offered, a situation of inability to pay, without incurring huge debts, (in the order of $250K for a 4 year degree, the price of a house), will qualify for imbursement. My point was in comparing a means test seemed far preferable to loading up poor students with huge debts.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Something doesn't seem right here though. Surely there must be a way to keep tuition fees reasonable. There's no way even a quarter of existing applicants will be going to university with that proposed cost. That can't be good for the economy since having a degree these days is simply a career entrance card.

This is either going to cause an enormous gap in wealth distribution if corporations continue to hire only rich people with degrees, or the collapse of the educational system if businesses stop looking for degrees as a de facto standard for your white collared entry.

Either way this is really bad news.