Trump Draining the Swamp

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I just watched Trump give a speech at South Carolina's Boeing facility where the new 787 “Dreamliner" is being unveiled. Trump said it was “built right here” in South Carolina, and that “our goal as a nation must be to rely less on imports and more on products made here in the U.S.A." He also called for "a very substantial penalty to be paid when they fire their people and move to another country, make the product, and think that they are going to sell it back.” And said he'll lower taxes and get rid of regulations that send our jobs to those other countries. "We want products made by our workers in our factories stamped by those four magnificent words, 'Made in the U.S.A.'"
All fantasy. In fact, almost a third of Boeing’s Dreamliner comes from abroad -- from countries with high taxes and high regulations, good wages, strong unions, excellent schools including technical education, and universally-available health care.
1.The Italian firm Alenia Aeronautica makes the center fuselage.
2. French firm Messier-Dowty makes the aircraft's landing-gear system.
3. German firm Diehl Luftfahrt Elektronik supplies the main cabin lighting.
4. Swedish firm Saab Aerostructures manufactures the access doors.
5. Japanese company Jamco makes parts for the lavatories, flight deck interiors and galleys.
6. French firm Thales makes its electrical power conversion system.
7. Thales selected GS Yuasa, a Japanese firm, in 2005 to supply it with the system's lithium-ion batteries.
Oh, and the first delivery of the Dreamliner is scheduled to take place next year – to Singapore Airlines. Currently there are 149 orders for it from worldwide customers including British Airways and Air France.
In other words, contrary to Trump, the Boeing Dreamliner is made all over the world and will be sold all over the world.
His "America First" economics is total demagoguery. We get a first-class workforce by investing in their education, training, infrastructure, and healthcare -- not xenophobic grandstanding.- Robert Reich

Boeing 787 Dreamliner Structure Suppliers - Business Insider

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Thanks for that. It saves me having to post that the plane will in fact, be made in the US. As well, Trump's statement from your article,

“...our goal as a nation must be to rely less on imports and more on products made here in the U.S.A."

means that he acknowledges parts are made elsewhere, but he wants more made in the US. The author is a stup.

To clarify, some parts are imported, but Trump wants to see that changed. One cannot stop a production line or walk away from contractual agreements at the drop of a hat. Trump knows this. He's a businessman.

Finally, are there production facilities currently in operation in the US for all 787 parts? The answer is no, but plants can be opened to manufacture certain specialty production parts.

The article is stupid. We are not talking about tables and chairs, but a 787 that will be built in the US, using specialized a/c parts. His hope is to see less importation and more US production of these parts. Good for him.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I didn't know the asylum you live in is in the US. Trump, as a business man, reneged on many a contract and left many of his contractors in the lurch, not to mention all the people he screwed with his phony university.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I didn't know the asylum you live in is in the US. Trump, as a business man, reneged on many a contract and left many of his contractors in the lurch, not to mention all the people he screwed with his phony university.

Where I live has nothing to do with it. You are an angry, dysfunctional old man, incapable of rational arguments. Your rebuttal, if you can call it that is unfocused and has nothing to do with my response or the original article itself.

Reneging on contracts would be Boeing's concern. His university has nothing to do with the production of planes. Your brain is fractured and your hatred is strong.

US is the only place that can make airplanes? There was a huge industry until cheap US products drove them out of business - after profiting greatly from two world wars. The first jets weren't American-made

No, the US isn't the only place that can make planes. The US is one of a few places that can make planes of this type. If another country can beat the US to the punch, then US business must get better or sink.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
No, the US isn't the only place that can make planes. The US is one of a few places that can make planes of this type. If another country can beat the US to the punch, then US business must get better or sink.

As I've noted earlier, if the world tells Uncle Sam (specifically, the Lord Dampnut vision of it) to screw off, where will US products sell and still be profitable?

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
The US is arguably, a leader in a/c production. To compete against Boeing, you need lots of cash. Start up and competition is expensive.

Again, we are not talking tables and chairs, but specialized a/c production. For that reason, there will be little competition. This is why I believe that Boeing will sell and be profitable. As a business, if they cannot manage to be profitable, they will sell the business off or close.

That's capitalism at work.

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
This is absolutely hilarious and I hope it sticks.

Trump Just Sent Michelle Obama a Bill She’ll Never Be Able to Pay in Her Lifetime

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
This is absolutely hilarious and I hope it sticks.

Trump Just Sent Michelle Obama a Bill She’ll Never Be Able to Pay in Her Lifetime

REAL news, eh? None of that fake stuff from the BBC, CBC, NYT, Washington Post, CNN, MSNBC, The Economist ... actually,the whole damn free press of the English speaking world. You know better. We know that you know better. We are merely mortals.