Trudeau’s Newest New Carbon Tax

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
With just about a week before the federal government’s new carbon tax kicks in, the Atlantic premiers are calling for a meeting with the prime minister “as soon as possible” — with hopes of halting it.

They’ve sent a letter to Justin Trudeau to request the meeting.

The premiers say the new clean fuel standards, which could see pump prices jump up in the region dramatically, will have a disproportionate impact on Atlantic Canadians.

In a news release, the Council of Atlantic Premiers said they want a pause in the implementation of the carbon tax until steps are taken to mitigate the impact on the region.

“Unfairly burdening Atlantic Canadians with increased costs on July 1st is not an effective way to mitigate the impacts of climate change,” the release read.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
I don't see where the Atlantic provinces will be negatively impacted more than the west. It is just plain bad for the economy. Food prices will rise, the cost of every business will rise, cost of living will rise. All this will just create a new round of wage demands to keep up with government spending.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't see where the Atlantic provinces will be negatively impacted more than the west. It is just plain bad for the economy. Food prices will rise, the cost of every business will rise, cost of living will rise. All this will just create a new round of wage demands to keep up with government spending.
With inflation reaching a 40-year-high last year, the Trudeau government is moving forward with a second carbon tax to celebrate Canada Day this year.

Fuelling up a car with gas, heating homes and businesses with natural gas, drying grain with propane, or filling up a big rig with diesel are necessities for countless Canadians, so the carbon tax is not something that can be avoided.

This Carbon Tax on top of the other Carbon Tax, which both will also be taxed with the GST Tax….will have to be paid for somehow by Canadians. What will you drop from your financial plan to cover this other Carbon Tax? Savings? Retirement fund? Disney Plus? Vacation? Groceries?

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
With inflation reaching a 40-year-high last year, the Trudeau government is moving forward with a second carbon tax to celebrate Canada Day this year.

Fuelling up a car with gas, heating homes and businesses with natural gas, drying grain with propane, or filling up a big rig with diesel are necessities for countless Canadians, so the carbon tax is not something that can be avoided.

This Carbon Tax on top of the other Carbon Tax, which both will also be taxed with the GST Tax….will have to be paid for somehow by Canadians. What will you drop from your financial plan to cover this other Carbon Tax? Savings? Retirement fund? Disney Plus? Vacation? Groceries?
I think I will cut out paying taxes. W could live on my pension quite nicely if all taxes were removed.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Cost of second carbon tax 2030 for average household
….will have a disproportionate impact on Atlantic Canadians…I wonder what Trudeau won’t do about this?
ProvinceCost
British Columbia$384
Alberta$1,157
Saskatchewan$1,117
Manitoba$611
Ontario$495
Quebec$436
New Brunswick$501
Nova Scotia$635
Prince Edward Island$569
Newfoundland and Labrador$850

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I do have empathy for them. Labrador & Newfoundland more so that the other Atlantic Provinces….but I get it. Nobody (few I guess) would look forward to a financial jailhouse rape.
At least Trudeau and his Liberal government are getting push back from his base . Atlantic Canada withdrawing it’s support from the Liberals would give Conservatives a cleat majority .

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
At least Trudeau and his Liberal government are getting push back from his base . Atlantic Canada withdrawing it’s support from the Liberals would give Conservatives a clear majority .
Well, time will tell which issue is of greater paramount between the Second Carbox Tax on the other Carbon Tax….or the Trans Students under the age of 16 Rights thing in Atlantic Canada. There’s a bunch of MLA’s quitting the NB Conservative Party over it.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Well, time will tell which issue is of greater paramount between the Second Carbox Tax on the other Carbon Tax….or the Trans Students under the age of 16 Rights thing in Atlantic Canada. There’s a bunch of MLA’s quitting the NB Conservative Party over it.
As they say a week is a long time .

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Cost of second carbon tax 2030 for average household
….will have a disproportionate impact on Atlantic Canadians…I wonder what Trudeau won’t do about this?
ProvinceCost
British Columbia$384
Alberta$1,157
Saskatchewan$1,117
Manitoba$611
Ontario$495
Quebec$436
New Brunswick$501
Nova Scotia$635
Prince Edward Island$569
Newfoundland and Labrador$850
I was hoping the article would explain the huge differences in the tax between provinces.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The carbon tax doesn’t cut emissions. It cuts family budgets.

The carbon tax will cost the average family up to $710 this year even after the rebates, according to the PBO.

The second carbon tax is included within fuel regulations and requires producers to reduce the carbon content of their fuels or be forced to purchase credits. The PBO estimates the second carbon tax will increase the price of gas by up to 17¢ per litre by 2030 and cost the average family up to $1,157.

The government’s own analysis shows the second carbon tax will “disproportionately impact lower and middle-income households,” including “single mothers” and “seniors living on fixed incomes.”

There are no rebates with the second carbon tax. And it’s being added on top of the current tax so that by 2030, Trudeau’s two carbon taxes will cost the average family more than $2,000 annually. Oh well…

British Columbia imposed its carbon tax in 2008. Between 2007 and 2019 – the last year before the pandemic brought economic activity to a screeching halt – the province’s emissions increased by 4%. In stark contrast, Nova Scotia has the lowest carbon tax on transportation fuels and reduced its emissions by 36% since 2005.

Canada’s total emissions also increased in 2019, the first year of the national carbon tax and the last year before the pandemic.

Fuelling up a car with gas, heating homes and businesses with natural gas, drying grain with propane or filling up the big rig with diesel, are necessities for countless Canadians. Instead of escaping the punishment of the carbon tax, many Canadians are forced to cut back elsewhere, like socking less money away for their kid’s university education…or charity in Petros’s case…or groceries in other peoples cases, or renewing their mortgage, or shingling their roof this year, or replacing their mid-efficiency furnace with a high-efficiency furnace, etc…

The United States, Russia and India account for a quarter of global emissions. None of those countries have a national carbon tax. Good luck selling a carbon tax to Texans.

Canada’s share of global emissions is expected to drop because of the “rapid increase in emissions from economically developing and emerging countries, particularly China (+71.7% from 2005 to 2019), India (+71.3%), Brazil (+16.2%) and Indonesia (+37.9%),” according to the government of Canada (Canada only accounts for 1.5% of global emissions).

No matter how many carbon taxes Trudeau makes Canadians pay, higher gas prices in Canada won’t solve climate change. It’s time for the feds to recognize reality and stop making life more expensive.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I was hoping the article would explain the huge differences in the tax between provinces.
Well, some are oil producing provinces, and those are bad, bad for everyone and everything, and those in the lead for being this kind of bad are Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Newfoundland. See Chart in Post #6. That seems to be the biggest coincidence.

Other Provinces produce Food Crops that outdo their smaller populations so they export much of these crops. Maybe it’s an agricultural grains thing, and maybe it’s another coincidence.

Other Provinces have Conservative Governments, but that too might be another coincidence.

Some Provinces hit the Trifecta of the above, while others only hit two out of three. Interesting that AB, SK, & NL are the biggest baddies that need to be punished. I don’t know what the answer actually is…

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
BC produces oil, gas, and coal. Also everything west of OntariOWE gets exported through BC. Are we getting a break because the surfing is good in Tofino?