Trudeau 'welcomes' ethics probe of alleged PMO interference in SNC-Lavalin case

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017

So Our idiot Boy Justin is enjoying his Lavalin "prostate exam??????????????????????

The idiot Boy has really flamed out in spectacular fashion!!!!!!!!!!!

Just look at the kind of people who defend him here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

Oogie! Oogie! Oogie! Oogie! Oogie!

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017

Oogie! Oogie! Oogie! Oogie! Oogie!

And.................Oogie! Oogie is a Russian phrase.....................................

meaning ...............................................................

Curious does not know how to defend himself in this debate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TalkingTogheter

Electoral Member
Dec 15, 2018
TALKINGTOGETHER IST DER TOTENKOPF..............................................

His brain died long ago.....................................

poisoned by too much radical Islam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sie sind ein Bruchteil der alten Sowjetunion.

Prefer Africa, Brazil, China, EU and Japan before Islam.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I hope the liberals get re-elected under Justin Trudeau but ONLY with a very-slim-to-zero overall majority; ONLY because none of the other party leaders and/or ideologies appeal to me; and ONLY because there's no way in our system to get a non-partisan PM.

- All of course, on the assumption that he's learned a very hard lesson.
Liberals and hard lessons do not go together . I am curious though , what policy of the liberals do you feel suits you ? I ask simply because growing up in a liberal household I voted for and supported their policies for years . When I finally payed attention to the results of those policies I found that the liberal agenda doesn’t fit my own .

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Opposition MPs turn to ethics committee to probe SNC-Lavalin affair

Opposition members of the House of Commons ethics committee will be pushing this week to bring renewed attention to the SNC-Lavalin affair, with the hope of hearing from the two Liberal MPs who quit cabinet over the government's handling of the issue.
Members of the standing committee on access to information, privacy and ethics are meeting on Tuesday to discuss requests from the Conservatives and NDP to study the SNC-Lavalin controversy, which sparked the cabinet resignations of Jody Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpott — and left Prime Minister Justin Trudeau facing tough questions.
"The ethics committee is a natural second point for this because we deal with issues of lobbying," said Timmins-James Bay MP Charlie Angus, a vice-chair of the ethics committee.
The Conservatives are planning to present a motion at Tuesday's meeting that would:
Ask the prime minister to waive all constraints preventing former attorney general and justice minister Wilson-Raybould from speaking about her experience on the SNC-Lavalin file.
Invite Wilson-Raybould and Philpott to testify before April 5.
Allow the committee to table its findings in Parliament.
Wilson-Raybould appeared before the justice committee last month to answer questions about a Globe and Mail report that alleged she was pressed by senior people in the prime minister's office to allow the Quebec engineering firm SNC-Lavalin to enter into a remediation agreement to avoid criminal prosecution on fraud and bribery charges.
Jane Philpott, who left her role as president of the Treasury Board, recently made waves with an interview she gave to Maclean's, in which she said there's "much more" to the SNC-Lavalin story.
Philpott has not testified before committee, but her comments to Maclean's drew a strong response from some in the Liberal caucus. Humber River—Black Creek MP Judy Sgro told Chris Hall, host of CBC Radio's The House, "it's either put up or shut up," in an interview that aired on Saturday.
"You can't tell people to put up or shut up when you're not letting them speak," said Angus in response to Sgro's remark.
In addition to a possible Commons ethics committee inquiry, the conflict of interest and ethics commissioner is investigating the SNC-Lavalin case.
The government maintains nothing improper happened — but opposition MPs say the full story has not yet been revealed and they want to hear from both the former ministers.
Last week, the Liberals used their majority on the Commons justice committee to end an inquiry into the matter. The Liberals have a majority on the Commons ethics committee — but Angus said that doesn't worry him.
The NDP MP shares the role of vice-chair of the ethics committee with Liberal MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith.
In late February, as more questions emerged about the SNC-Lavalin story, Erskine-Smith sided with an opposition motion Angus presented that called for a public inquiry and for the prime minister to waive solicitor-client privilege for the former attorney general.
Erskine-Smith didn't respond to CBC's request on Sunday for an interview, but Angus said he would be "very surprised" if the Toronto MP didn't support a motion for their committee to investigate the government's handling of the SNC-Lavalin case.
"I'm hoping the Liberal members of the ethics committee will stand up on principle, as their colleagues on the justice committee obviously didn't," said Peter Kent, Conservative ethics critic and Thornhill MP.
"The biggest question is to hear what she [Wilson-Raybould] has to say between the moment she was officially removed from the attorney general post up until the moment that she resigned completely from cabinet."
Cabinet confidence questions
As things stand now, even if they are invited to testify before committee, the former cabinet ministers face restrictions around what they can say. The prime minister hasn't waived solicitor-client privilege and cabinet confidence beyond Wilson-Raybould's time as attorney general.
An increasing number of Liberal MPs have said Wilson-Raybould and Philpott could share their stories by rising in the House and using parliamentary privilege, but University of Ottawa law professor Errol Mendes said the former cabinet ministers may feel bound by the oath to the privy council.
"It's basically swearing to the Queen and to God that as privy councillors they will keep secret everything that has been treated or debated in their capacity as privy councillors, i.e. members of the cabinet," Mendes said.
"I think there is an indication that they have a higher obligation to observe that even if they are allowed to present whatever they want within the confines of parliamentary privilege."
It's a question of legal constraints versus moral ethical constraints, according to Mendes, which the committee and the former cabinet ministers will have to navigate.
But there's something else Mendes wants the Commons ethics committee to review: the application of deferred prosecution agreements, a newly created legal tool. There are ethical questions to explore there as well, the legal expert said.
Whether anything at all relating to the SNC-Lavalin affair will be scrutinized at the ethics committee could be decided this week.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Sie sind ein Bruchteil der alten Sowjetunion.

Prefer Africa, Brazil, China, EU and Japan before Islam.

First you must order you thoughts in a coherent way..........................

to do that you need several decades of therapy and psychotropic drugs in substantial quantities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then you must learn enough English to be able to make your points..............................

such as they may be................................

in some logical fashion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But frankly............................................

even if you live for three hundred years................................................

and dedicate yourself FULLY to the tasks I have urged upon you.....................................

I DONT THINK YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO amount of training will turn a moron into an intellectual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TalkingTogheter

Electoral Member
Dec 15, 2018
First you must order you thoughts in a coherent way..........................
to do that you need several decades of therapy and psychotropic drugs in substantial quantities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then you must learn enough English to be able to make your points..............................
such as they may be................................
in some logical fashion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But frankly............................................
even if you live for three hundred years................................................
and dedicate yourself FULLY to the tasks I have urged upon you.....................................
I DONT THINK YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO amount of training will turn a moron into an intellectual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe is the my like China or Brazil and Africa and the EU about modernization abroad.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Maybe is the my like China or Brazil and Africa and the EU about modernization abroad.

Why yers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abracadadbra FUZZLESTICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• turn the page.jpg
    turn the page.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 2
  • sorry not sorry.jpg
    sorry not sorry.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 2
  • some repairs.jpg
    some repairs.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 2
  • shot the budget.jpg
    shot the budget.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • no magic.jpg
    no magic.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 2

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
This is a leftism but maybe he likes without the music even he likes the US but maybe you are only Russian communist who still appreciated the Soviet Union despite no heyday last 30. Maybe your Russia wants to threaten the EU by a military point.
Politic driver club moisten Callaway. Antarctic nannygoat laundering Russian Redskin minis 30.
I'm so glad you two are talking together.

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
Liberals and hard lessons do not go together . I am curious though , what policy of the liberals do you feel suits you ? I ask simply because growing up in a liberal household I voted for and supported their policies for years . When I finally payed attention to the results of those policies I found that the liberal agenda doesn’t fit my own .

I don't have anything I think of as an agenda other than to get through the remainder of my life as painlessly, as interestingly and causing as little harm as possible. That certainly wouldn't involve supporting or getting involved with a political party. My outlook is what you might call small-L liberal; i.e open minded and supportive of 'the common good.' Paying more attention to the potential consequences of actions, rather than their fit within any predefined ideology.

See, this is very hard to summarize when you believe, as I do, in considering the pros & cons of each new issue on its unique merits. In the past I've referred to this as 'situational ethics.' But that gets misinterpreted as not having any ethics at all, by those who believe we have to cling to hard ideologies. Too bad, I thought it was a useful phrase. Oh, well ....

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Sources say Trudeau rejected Wilson-Raybould's conservative pick for high court

OTTAWA — Jody Wilson-Raybould recommended in 2017 that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau nominate a conservative Manitoba judge to be chief justice of the Supreme Court, even though he wasn’t a sitting member of the top court and had been a vocal critic of its activism on Charter of Rights issues, The Canadian Press has learned.

Well-placed sources say the former justice minister’s choice for chief justice was a moment of “significant disagreement” with Trudeau, who has touted the Liberals as “the party of the charter” and whose late father, Pierre Trudeau, spearheaded the drive to enshrine the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in the Constitution in 1982. The sources spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss internal discussions about a Supreme Court appointment, which are typically considered highly confidential.

For her part, Wilson-Raybould said Monday “there was no conflict between the PM and myself.”

In an email, she characterized the matter as part of the normal process of appointing a Supreme Court justice, which involves “typically CONFIDENTIAL conversations and communications — back and forths between the PM and the AG (attorney general) on potential candidates for appointment.”

She said she’s “not at liberty to comment” on the “veracity” of what the sources said occurred, adding, “Commentary/reporting in this regard with respect to a SCC appointment(s) could compromise the integrity of the appointments process and potentially sitting justices.”

The issue suggests Trudeau may have had reasons unrelated to the SNC-Lavalin affair for moving Wilson-Raybould out of the prestigious Justice portfolio earlier this year — a cabinet shuffle that touched off a full-blown political crisis for the governing Liberals.

Wilson-Raybould has said she believes she was moved to Veterans Affairs as punishment for refusing to intervene to stop a criminal prosecution of the Montreal engineering giant on bribery charges related to contracts in Libya. Trudeau has denied the SNC matter had anything to do with the decision. She resigned a month later amid allegations she was improperly pressured by the Prime Minister’s Office to interfere in the SNC-Lavalin case, triggering a furor that has engulfed the Trudeau government ever since.

The issue, the sources say, arose after Beverley McLachlin announced in June 2017 her decision to retire that December after 28 years on the highHer retirement meant the government would have to choose a new chief justice and find another bilingual judge from western or northern Canada to sit on the nine-member bench.

Trudeau created an independent, non-partisan advisory board, headed by former Conservative prime minister Kim Campbell, to identify qualified candidates to fill the western/northern vacancy and submit a short list of three to five names for consideration.

According to the sources, one of the names on the eventual list was Glenn Joyal, who had been appointed in 2011 by former Conservative prime minister Stephen Harper as chief justice of Manitoba’s Court of Queen’s Bench.

Wilson-Raybould then sent Trudeau a 60-plus-page memo arguing that Joyal should not only be added to the top court but should be named chief justice as well.

Only once before in Canadian history — in 1906, when Sir Wilfrid Laurier appointed his justice minister to the top judicial job — has a prime minister chosen a chief justice who was not already sitting on the Supreme Court.

Wilson-Raybould’s pick puzzled Trudeau but he became disturbed after doing some research into Joyal’s views on the charter, the sources said.

Joyal had criticized the judiciary for broadly interpreting charter rights and expanding them to apply to things not explicitly mentioned in the charter or, in his view, intended by provincial premiers when they agreed to enshrine a charter in the Constitution. The Supreme Court’s liberal interpretation has led to things like legalization of same-sex marriage, the right of women to choose to have an abortion and the legalization of medical assistance in dying, among other things Â*– developments Trudeau has celebrated.

In a January 2017 speech to the Canadian Constitution Foundation’s Law and Freedom Conference, Joyal echoed conservative arguments that the top court has usurped the supremacy of elected legislatures to determine social policy. The charter, Joyal argued, was the result of a compromise between Pierre Trudeau and premiers, most of whom had originally opposed inclusion of a charter in the Constitution. The compromise was intended to maintain a balance between the judiciary and the legislative branch of government, with provisions allowing governments to limit or override rights altogether in some circumstances.

Since then, judicial interpretation of the charter has ignored the intentions of the drafters and “led without question to a level of judicial potency that was not anticipated back in 1982,” Joyal said in the speech, a video of which is available on the foundation’s website.

That, in turn, has resulted in a “less potent and less influential legislative branch that seldom has the final word.”

“With the ‘constitutionalizing’ of more and more political and social issues into fundamental rights, the Canadian judiciary has all but removed those issues, in a fairly permanent way, from the realm of future civic engagement and future political debate,” he said.

Joyal was particularly critical of the Supreme Court’s interpretation of section 7 of the charter Â*– the section which guarantees everyone the right to life, liberty and security of the person and under which the top court struck down Canada’s abortion law and the prohibition on medically assisted death.

The court’s liberal interpretation of that section “has become, particularly in recent years, the single most fertile source for the discovery of new rights and the de facto constitutionalization of political and social issues,” he said.

Trudeau rejected Wilson-Raybould’s advice. He ended up appointing Sheila Martin, a judge on the appeal courts of Alberta, Northwest Territories and Nunavut, to fill the vacant western Canadian seat on the bench. Sitting Supreme Court Justice Richard Wagner was elevated to the role of chief justice.

Wilson-Raybould’s advocacy of Joyal for the top judicial job may not come as a total surprise to some Liberals, who’ve privately noted what they consider her conservative, restrictive approach to charter rights in a number of bills, including those dealing with assisted dying, impaired driving and genetic discrimination. Jane Philpott, as health minister at the time, was jointly responsible with Wilson-Raybould for the assisted dying legislation. She quit the cabinet earlier this month in solidarity with Wilson-Raybould, saying she no longer had confidence in the government’s handling of the SNC-Lavalin affair.
nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/sources-say-trudeau-rejected-wilson-rayboulds-conservative-pick-for-high-court

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I don't have anything I think of as an agenda other than to get through the remainder of my life as painlessly, as interestingly and causing as little harm as possible. That certainly wouldn't involve supporting or getting involved with a political party. My outlook is what you might call small-L liberal; i.e open minded and supportive of 'the common good.' Paying more attention to the potential consequences of actions, rather than their fit within any predefined ideology.

See, this is very hard to summarize when you believe, as I do, in considering the pros & cons of each new issue on its unique merits. In the past I've referred to this as 'situational ethics.' But that gets misinterpreted as not having any ethics at all, by those who believe we have to cling to hard ideologies. Too bad, I thought it was a useful phrase. Oh, well ....
And your first sentence provided the key . How can I possibly get through life as painlessly as possible , while my federal government takes more and more of my hard earned money .