Trans Mountain ‘pipeline is going to get built’: Trudeau dismisses B.C.’s bitumen ban

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
We still ship China lots of that clean green coal , to fuel their power plants . There are at least three freighters loading coal at Roberts Bank as we speak .
And probably another two at Neptune Terminals .

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
We still ship China lots of that clean green coal , to fuel their power plants . There are at least three freighters loading coal at Roberts Bank as we speak .
Vancouver ships very little thermal coal, and all of it comes from America and I believe 0% of it goes to China.

So once again your grasp of the facts is tenuous at best,

YOu have managed to point something out - Vancouver should not be shipping any US coal - or in any coal period.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Vancouver ships very little thermal coal, and all of it comes from America and I believe 0% of it goes to China.

YOu have managed to point something out - Vancouver should not be shipping any US coal - or in any coal period.
Glad to see you agree that coal is green and clean .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Well I guess I imagine the coal trains I see on a daily basis . That big pile of coal I see while taking a ferry from Tsawassen is a mirage and Neptune Terminals in North Vancouver are a figment of imagination. Glad you cleared that up . As an aside , ever been to the beautiful Elk Valley , in eastern B.C. you can see first hand the great reclamation efforts by the Tech Corp .very illuminating.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
You got sucked in by Trump's bullshit again, eh.
No Hoid told me we ship the good stuff to China . If it is the good stuff it must be clean and green . Fording is in Canada and has nothing to do with Trump . Maybe Trudeau should look into shutting this fiasco down . He is after all so concerned about our carbon emissions he even gave his personal tax payer funded airplane the day off today .

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Well I guess I imagine the coal trains I see on a daily basis . That big pile of coal I see while taking a ferry from Tsawassen is a mirage and Neptune Terminals in North Vancouver are a figment of imagination. Glad you cleared that up . As an aside , ever been to the beautiful Elk Valley , in eastern B.C. you can see first hand the great reclamation efforts by the Tech Corp .very illuminating.
Looks at something every day - has no idea what it is or where its going

probably a typical event in the life of the white natty

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
China has stopped buying crude oil from Western Canada after record purchase in 2019
Chinese demand for Canadian crude oil shipped through the Port of Vancouver has dried up in 2019.
David Huntley, a professor emeritus in physics at Simon Fraser University who monitors tanker traffic at Burnaby’s Westridge terminal, said that so far this year there had been only three tankers that loaded crude oil from the terminal and none went to China.
This followed a record year for China, where it bought 6.56 million barrels of crude (12 tanker loads), or almost one-third of all the crude shipped out of B.C. in 2018. According to Port of Vancouver records, China imported crude from B.C. every year between 2008 and 2018, except 2016 and 2017.
Huntley, via email, told Postmedia News “my interpretation is that a significant amount of oil was sent to China near the end of 2018 when the price was very low, and it stopped the moment the Alberta Premier curtailed production and the price returned to normal.”

More: https://vancouversun.com/news/local...-western-canada-after-record-purchase-in-2018

The idea that Alberta is ever going to foist off their oil on Chinese at high price is ridiculous.
Like wise BC's plan to become a LNG power.
All too late to the dance.

I suppose it has nothing to do with the Huawei situation that Canola found itself in?

Alberta premier expects pipeline approval by end of May

After another round of FN consultation what is that 5 now?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Looks at something every day - has no idea what it is or where its going

probably a typical event in the life of the white natty
None at all , please enlighten me ? Why are you so pro coal and anti oil ? Is the future not moving toward renewables ? When are we going to outlaw ocean trade , those ocean going tankers burning bunker c are polluting the atmosphere?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
None at all , please enlighten me ? Why are you so pro coal and anti oil ? Is the future not moving toward renewables ? When are we going to outlaw ocean trade , those ocean going tankers burning bunker c are polluting the atmosphere?
I believe I said something about we shouldn't even be shipping coal. I don't like coal and would love to see it die a natural death,

I guess I had to spend too much time correcting your stupid lie that we ship thermal coal to China.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

https://biv.com/article/2017/05/thermal-coal-exports-could-be-bcs-trump-card
By Nelson Bennett | May 9, 2017
Last year, 26 million tonnes of metallurgical coal and 6.6 million tonnes of thermal coal moved through the Port of Vancouver. In 2016, more thermal coal than metallurgical coal moved through Ridley Terminals.
In an attempt to capitalize on the lack of terminal capacity for coal in the U.S., Fraser Surrey Docks proposed building a new $15 million coal export terminal that would have a capacity of four million tonnes annually

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...export-plan-faces-resistance/article16770342/

Westshore and Ridley handle mostly metallurgical (or coking) coal, a key ingredient exported to Asia for the production of steel, but thermal coal exports are on the rise at those two operations. Neptune processes only metallurgical coal, while Fraser Surrey Docks doesn't yet accept any coal. Over all, metallurgical coal accounted for almost 70 per cent of total coal exports at Port Metro Vancouver sites in 2012, while thermal coal was at 30 per cent.
Kevin Washbrook, director of Voters Taking Action on Climate Change, said his group fears that Port Metro Vancouver will approve Fraser Surrey Docks' application to offer thermal coal services. "Thermal coal is bad for the climate," Mr. Washbrook said. He said he is concerned about miners such as Cloud Peak Energy Inc. potentially boosting exports of U.S. thermal coal at Westshore.

The ironies of shipping U.S. coal from B.C.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I believe I said something about we shouldn't even be shipping coal. I don't like coal and would love to see it die a natural death,

I guess I had to spend too much time correcting your stupid lie that we ship thermal coal to China.
No . As usual that is you putting words in my mouth . I did not once mention thermal coal . I was talking the clean green Canadian coal that China buys . But you are right all coal mining should cease all marine and air traffic stopped and world wide trade suspended. Because if carbon emissions are destroying our climate that is what would be required to change it . Are you and all your friends ready to embrace that scenario ?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Thanks for proving me correct

we ship almost exclusively met coal and have recently added thermal coal from America because none of their own ports will ship it,

It isn't going to China btw - that's just something morons say in order that the world conform to their delusions.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Thanks for proving me correct
we ship almost exclusively met coal and have recently added thermal coal from America because none of their own ports will ship it,
It isn't going to China btw - that's just something morons say in order that the world conform to their delusions.

Mining
China consumes a large amount of mineral resources due to its expanding economy and global prominence as a manufacturing centre. An internationally recognized centre of expertise in mining and related fields, British Columbia offers outstanding expertise in exploration, development and production. In addition, development of our own substantial mineral reserves can help China meet its needs. Metallurgical coal, copper, nickel, gold and other minerals represented over $1.7 billion in exports to China in 2017.

https://globalnews.ca/news/628929/20-facts-about-coal-mining-in-b-c/

8. Most of the coal produced in British Columbia is sent to Asian countries, including Japan, China, South Korea and India.

Coal is Still the Dirty Little Secret at Port Metro Vancouver

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hard to find a better source of heat! (I know there's at least one nit wit on here who will argue with that)