Tory MP breaks ethics rules

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Ministers are in a tight spot in our system. On one hand they are supposed to represent their constituents which means helping them gain access to ministers. On the other hand because they are also ministers they probably have better access to other ministers to press their constituents case.

Really? I sat in Trudeau 's seat in the house in 1971.

If you are old enough to remember Trudeau why n earth would you want to curse Canada with another one?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If you are old enough to remember Trudeau why n earth would you want to curse Canada with another one?
Here, to make you feel better: Justin Trudeau for Prime Minister in 2015!

That would only be a curse to die hard cons. There is nothing to prove that he would be anything like his old man (who BTW was not as bad as westerners think he was.) PLLLLTTTZZZ!!!!! :p

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Canada cabinet minister faces more ethical questions

OTTAWA (Reuters) - For the second time in a week, Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper was spurred on Tuesday to defend his industry minister, Christian Paradis, over a question of ethics.

CTV News reported that Paradis, who is also the cabinet minister responsible for Quebec affairs, had stayed in 2009 at the exclusive hunting lodge of businessman Marcel Aubut, who was lobbying the federal government at the time to help fund a C$400 million ($404 million) hockey arena in Quebec City.

Harper's Conservatives came to power in 2006 pledging to implement strict ethical guidelines. The prime minister suggested on Tuesday he saw nothing wrong with what Paradis had done.

Paradis is in charge of deciding whether to allow increased foreign investment in big telecommunications companies and currently is weighing whether to let Swiss-based Glencore International Ltd buy Viterra Corp, Canada's biggest grain handler, for C$6.1 billion.

Paradis's office did not immediately respond to Reuters requests for comment, but CTV television quoted the office as confirming Paradis had spent two nights at the lodge, though he took his own gear and supplied his own food.

As it happens, Quebec authorities announced on Sunday that construction of the Quebec City arena would begin, with provincial and municipal subsidies - but no federal funds.

Canada cabinet minister faces more ethical questions | Canada | Reuters

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
No lobbying on hunting trip, Christian Paradis says

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s government is defending Industry Minister Christian Paradis following revelations he spent time at a hunting lodge owned by the former owner of the Quebec Nordiques.

Mr. Paradis said he paid all of his own expenses on the 2009 trip and was not lobbied at the lodge by Marcel Aubut, who at the time was seeking public funding for a $400-million NHL-calibre arena project.

“As far as the information I have, this was a private trip and there is no link I’m aware of to any government business,” Mr. Harper said in Seoul, South Korea, in response to the revelations reported by CTV News.

The Conservatives declined to provide federal funding for professional arenas and even campaigned in the 2011 election against using taxpayer dollars to support professional sports franchises.

“I have done several hunting trips in my life,” Mr. Paradis said in the Commons, facing a barrage of questions from NDP ethics critic Charlie Angus and other opposition MPs. “I covered my own costs. I took my own car. I got there by myself with my own equipment…. Never did Mr. Aubut attempt to lobby me before or during this trip.”

Liberal House leader Marc Garneau and Liberal ethics critic Scott Andrews have written to the federal ethics watchdog, Mary Dawson, asking her to investigate the matter.

The revelations come days after she found Mr. Paradis was in a conflict of interest in another case when he arranged for former Tory MP Rahim Jaffer to meet with government officials and lobby them about a business proposal.

Ms. Dawson reached this conclusion a few days earlier in a March 22 report that was released following a two-year investigation.

She told a Commons committee Tuesday that the investigation was lengthy because she needed time to analyze the case and faced delays in getting documents and doing interviews with witnesses.

“There weren’t any people who refused to come, it’s just that it takes time,” she told reporters after appearing at the committee. “Sometimes you’re over a summer, or sometimes you’re over a break.”

She also confirmed that she had launched another investigation on Mr. Paradis’s alleged involvement in the transfer of a federal Employment Insurance office from an NDP-held riding in Rimouski, Que., into the Industry Minister’s riding.

Ms. Dawson, who was appointed in 2007, said she could not remember having to do so many investigations on a single Cabinet minister.

While she said she hoped the current investigation regarding the office transfer would not take as long as the last one.

Mr. Angus urged her to use her powers to subpoena witnesses, if necessary, to speed up the process.

Mr. Angus also suggested that Mr. Harper should remove Mr. Paradis from Cabinet because he doesn’t buy the minister’s explanations.

“It is kind of hard to follow his logic because he says that getting busted for Rahim Jaffer is part of his ethical education,” Mr. Angus said in the Commons. “So was his hunting trip part of his summer camp experience? How about moving all those government offices over to his father-in-law’s building? Is that about a family togetherness exercise? There is not a rule the Conservative government is not willing to break. When is it going to teach him a proper lesson and kick him out of Cabinet?”

No lobbying on hunting trip, Christian Paradis says | News | National Post

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
International Development Minister Christian Paradis and Heritage and Official Languages Minister Shelly Glover won't seek re-election, the senior federal Conservative members said today.

The two ministers, the latest big names in the Harper government's cabinet to announce their departures, released statements on Good Friday.

Paradis, who is also the minister for la Francophonie, and Glover have faced controversies within their ministries during their terms. Both suggested their pending departures are, in part, for personal reasons.

In 2012, Paradis was found to have breached the government's own ethics rules by giving special access to former Conservative MP Rahim Jaffer's business interests. The report was made public, but Paradis was given no fines or penalties.

Last year, the federal ethics watchdog cleared Glover of breaching conflict of interest laws by attending a fundraiser organized by her local riding association.

more

Christian Paradis, Shelly Glover, federal ministers, won't seek re-election - Politics - CBC News

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Manitoba MP and Harper's minister for heritage and official languages, Shelly Glover, announced on Friday that she won't seek re-election this year. That means the Speaker of the House should toss her out without delay. Here's why.

Following the 2011 election, Glover ran afoul of Elections Canada for failing to file "complete and accurate" returns of her campaign spending (link is external).

The Speaker of the House of Commons (link is external) received a request from Elections Canada (link is external) to suspend Glover as an MP in June 2013. Glover failed to file documents related to the 2011 election campaign.[3] (link is external) Elections Canada spokesman John Enright said, “Those letters advised the speaker that an elected candidate shall not continue to sit or vote as members of the House of Commons pending the filing of complete and accurate returns.” Glover filed a legal challenge in the Manitoba Court of Queen's Bench.[4] (link is external) Liberal MP Scott Andrews (link is external) indicated the suspension of Glover from Parliament should be immediate according to previous legal precedent.[5] (link is external) On July 22, 2014, it was reported in the media that Glover's staffers had attempted to remove the controversial election spending information from her Wikipedia page.[6] (link is external)

In July 2013 it was reported that Glover had filed a revised return, which Elections Canada accepted.[7] (link is external) Her campaign acknowledged that, as a result of "inadvertence and an honest misunderstanding of what constitutes an election expense", it exceeded the legal limit by $2,267. Glover promised to make up for the overspend by a corresponding underspend in the next election, and was not penalised.
In other words, Glover breached the election spending limits, albeit by a modest amount, but then apparently took herself off the hook by promising to underspend by the same amount in the 2015 campaign.

Except she's not going to run in that campaign, the result of which is that she got away with it.

It seems Glover pulled a fast one on Elections Canada and, unless the Speaker acts, she got away with it.

Pretty neat trick - for a cop.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Well she is not spending any money on the 2015 election so I guess she kept her word.
To me it seems like the Conservative party is trying to head of any unseemly dealings by it's MP's
before they become a headache .
And I can't say I don't mind . I am sick of the pigs at the trough .