Toronto man charged after explosive seized

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I understand that

Most of the deportees are deported because either they don't qualify or the gave false information on their application. I don't think we should go to the extent of a trial for them. I also think there should be a trial period where these people should have to remain crime free for couple years. There may already be such a measure, I don't know.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Sorry, Five. I must have misread your post.

Non-status immigrants should be afforded some rights. We are a civilized nation. But the Charter doesn't apply to them.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Are you sure, Jay?

I am going to need to go re-read the Constitution Act, 1982, now, hehe. I was under the impression that, as does the Criminal Code of Canada, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms applied to everyone "in Canada."

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Charter Rights

It would appear, in reading through the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (which is, of course, comprised of Sections 1-34 of the Constitution Act, 1982), that Sections 3 and 6 are the only ones restricted to citizens — the remainder of the Charter appears to extend to "everyone." Section 3 is the right to vote and run for election for and in the House of Commons, and Section 6 is the measure pertaining to mobility rights within Canada.

:!: Revision : Corrected a typing error.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
My mistake; Section 23, which pertains to minority language education rights in Canada, is also limited to citizens only. However, I would argue that the remainder of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms is to be applied to everyone in Canada, as opposed to citizens.

pcalnan

Apr 6, 2006
Ottawa
Re: RE: Toronto man charged after explosive seized

FiveParadox said:
However, I would argue that the remainder of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms is to be applied to everyone in Canada, as opposed to citizens.

Which is why tourists travelling to Canada are entitled to the same rights and privileges as citizens should they ever be arrested for committing a crime.

This would also apply to immigrants, non-status or otherwise, as well as tourists. For as the saying goes, when in Rome...

...which is why it's not a good idea to have "weed" hidden in your backpack while travelling through Southeast Asia.

Patrick

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Toronto man charged after explosive seized

FiveParadox said:
My mistake; Section 23, which pertains to minority language education rights in Canada, is also limited to citizens only. However, I would argue that the remainder of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms is to be applied to everyone in Canada, as opposed to citizens.

What does it matter anyways? They deported a citizen for something he said. Rights shmights...Canada is a joke when it comes to these ideals. The world is our citizens and groups are more important than individuals and the Charter is a contradiction....

Some times I get sick and tired of this ass backwardness.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
They deported a citizen or extradited a citizen? Was there a removal order? Bill-C-11 which is languishing was supposed to provide clarity. I think one of the reasons that it has stalled is that they can't decide on criteria to revoke citizenship or whether it should be allowed or not.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
My argument wasn't either for or against the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, on this particular occasion, Jay — I was responding to an assertion that the Charter could not be applied to non-citizens, which is incorrect. As to the merits of the Charter, that would be more appropriate for another thread.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
This news doesn't really require alot of thought. First the police did a great job in finding this guy before he hurt someone, and second, like #juan said, ship him back to his homeland.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Apparently it has to go to committee first.... :roll:

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Given the time frame he is probably a citizen and not a candidate for deportation. Sounds more like he needs psychiatric help. Civilized countries do not deport citizens becuase they are emotionally disturbed.