Tories Urged to Re-open Abortion Issue

Should the Government of Canada introduce legislation to restrict access to abortion?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't know / Prefer not to respond

• Total voters

Grit86

May 8, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
LittleRunningGag said:
Colpy said:
As for Ann Coulter, if she is your source you've got serious bias issues.

Personally, I think Coulter is a little nuts, but sometimes she overstates the case in a way that wonderfully illuminates the truth.

In most cases, she's over the edge.

A little nuts?!? In most cases?!?

8O

This is the woman who said that Canada should watch out or the US would roll over and crush us. :roll:

Yeah. And people criticize Michael Moore for being biased and over-the-top. :roll:

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Re: RE: Tories Urged to Re-open Abortion Issue

Colpy said:
tracy said:
There are already limits on abortion. I can't believe how many people think you can wait until you're 9 months pregnant with a healthy baby and find a clinic that will partially deliver it and kill it. I've worked doing "elective" terminations in the second and third trimestre. Not once did I see them done for any reason other than health issues. Overwhelmingly they were wanted babies and I get so angry when people try to guilt trip a couple for making a very difficult choice. Late term abortion is just a wedge issue the conservatives like to use to inflame emotions about abortion in general.

I guess you can figure where I stand on this issue. I think the restrictions we have are reasonable. I don't think we need more. If you're against abortion, don't have one.

The honorouble member from Saskatoon should be working on ways to make child rearing more appealing if he wants to decrease abortion.

That is a good post, Tracy.

Now, define "health issues".

Please don't misunderstand, I believe there ARE health reasons for late term abortions, and I hate the guilt trip often dumped on very young ladies who have early abortions. That guilt trip would be even more disgusting applied to a woman who got a late term abortion out of necessity.

I don't usually get involved in these discussions, as it cuts a little close to home. Many, many years ago a girlfriend got an abortion for "health reasons", that being her mental well-being, which was (believe me) more harmed by getting the abortion than if she had given the baby up.

But I try not to be unreasonably emotional on the subject.

I'm sorry that your girlfriend made a decision you disagreed with.

I'm not talking about mental health here (though I've seen women who should have gotten abortions because of their mental health). If we're discussing the woman, I''m talking about disorders and diseases so serious, they could kill the mother if she continues with the pregnancy. The downside of our great medical advances is that few people remember how deadly childbearing can be. Ectopic pregnancies are fairly common and require an abortion. Uncontrollable PIH (pregnany-induced hypertension) can kill a woman pretty quickly and the only cure is ending the pregnancy whether that be with an abortion or with a premature delivery of a live baby.

As far as the health of the fetus- and the majority of late term abortions I've seen have been because of the fetus' health- most people couldn't stand to care for those babies for the short pain filled life they would have if they weren't aborted. And that's assuming they were even alive at all. Inducing labor prematurely on a woman with a dead fetus is classified as abortion, and intrauterine fetal demises aren't all that uncommon.

If anyone can look at some of the babies I've seen and say late term abortions are wrong, they're stronger than I am. This is a video of a baby born with Harlequin Ichthyosis. Don't look if you have a weak stomach.
http://www.thefetus.net/page.php?id=1448

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
This is just too political. On the one hand, I believe life begins at conception, and do oppose killing. I think that sums it up nicely for me.

On the otehr hand, I'd rather not politicize it and see what can be done to make society better without polarizing. At the moment, I'm teaching primary students two hours a week, for free. And am currently creating a moral education textbook which should hopefully be finished by the end of October.

So rather than dwell on political confrontation, let's put our time and money where our mouths are. Of course I don't teach specifically about abortion... I am in China. But I do teach general moral education which is a start, the foundation upon which character can be built. What more can we ask for.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Oh, another point, even though, as I said, I believe life begins at conception, I do also beleive that politicizing it, demonstrating and calling people murderers in their faces, constantly guilttripping them and generally showing hatred towards them is tasteless likewise, lacks in wisdom, and gets nothing more done than feeding the free choice movement and making the pro-lifers look like a buch of whatckos, even tot hose of us who agree with the pro-lifers in principle.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

tracy said:
Jay said:
tracy said:
So where is the Ann Coulter conservative plan to make motherhood more appealing than abortion?

Is making motherhood more appealing a government function?

tracy said:
If they are trying to legislate against it, then yes. Why should protecting the unborn be so important for the government to do, if as soon as they leave the uterus the government just forgets about em?

This isn't true in Ontario. There is tons of support for parants in Ontario.

tracy said:
But, it doesn't have to be the government, I never mentionned them in that post. As Ann and her friends are always saying, the government doesn't need to do everything. So, if conservatives hate abortion so much, why don't they do something to stop the problem at the source rather than run to the big bad government to legislate against it?

What would you have conservatives do about this issue? Make women wear chastity belts? Turn off all the smut on TV?....I don't know what you mean here.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Jay, I mean doing things like providing reasonable maternity leaves, affordable daycare, flexible scheduling, etc. How about the rich conservative business owners put their money where their mouths are? How about even laws that really make "fathers" pay their child support? I hear people complaining all the time about abortion but many do not want to address the problem through pregnancy prevention in any way other than abstinence or by making motherhood more appealing. They just want to legislate. That makes no sense.

Ann, like me, lives in the US and the supports aren't all that great. If I had a baby today, I would get 6 weeks of UNPAID leave and could extend that another 17 weeks or so, also UNPAID. That's about it. Of course, I couldn't afford to take it anyways so it wouldn't really matter to me. My income would prevent me from qualifying for medical aid or housing aid or any other type of government program. I am aware of the irony in the fact that I take care of sick babies every day in the hospital, but couldn't afford to pay those bills if it were ever my own child there. I'd have to be an idiot not to consider abortion if I became pregnant and the father didn't want to participate in raising a child. Even in Ontario, I would fall into the same trap (make too much for aid, not enough to live well with a child). Where would I even be able to find affordable childcare (especially considering I'm not a 9-5 worker)? I don't know how great Ontario is for single parents. A friend of mine recently moved to the US (Albequerque) with her son for the chance at a better life. She wasn't doing well financially in Ontario and found a great workplace with great benefits in Albequerque. Sadly, there aren't all that many workplaces like that out there.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I suppose when I advocate anti-abortion, I don't mean you have to keep the child.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

Colpy said:
As Ann Coulter said (paraphrased) "Liberals are people that would see babies partly born have their skulls penetrated by surgical instruments and their brains scrambled, and then smilingly claim somebody's rights were exercised. I don't WANT people like that to like me."

Quoting Ann Coulter says enough to me about what I should expect from your political thinking. And I'm only included what this braindead person had to say about Canada.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200412010011

COULTER: They better hope the United States doesn't roll over one night and crush them. They are lucky we allow them to exist on the same continent.

[...]

COULTER: We could have taken them [Canada] over so easily.

[ALAN] COLMES: We could have taken them over? Is that what you want?

COULTER: Yes, but no. All I want is the western portion, the ski areas, the cowboys, and the right-wingers.

[...]

COULTER: They don't even need to have an army, because they are protected, because they're on the same continent with the United States of America. If we were not the United States of America, Canada -- I mean, we're their trading partner. We keep their economy afloat.

[...]

ELLIS HENICAN [Newsday columnist]: We share a lot of culture and a lot of interests. Why do we want to have to ridicule them and be deeply offended if they disagree with us?

COULTER: Because they speak French.

COLMES: There's something else I want to point out about the French. Is it's fashionable again on your side to denounce the French.

COULTER: We like the English-speaking Canadians.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

tracy said:
So where is the Ann Coulter conservative plan to make motherhood more appealing than abortion?

Ann Coulter is someone who throws out the type of inflammatory language that would even make those guys on fake wrestling programs cringe.

The fact that conservatives like to hail her thinking or people like her (Rush, Tucker Carlson, O'Reilly, etc.) makes me laugh all the time. Hm... what can I say about Ann Coulter? Well, she's rude. Oh yeah, and she likes to wear a big cross over a very obvious display of cleavage. That has gotta say something about her.

On another note, one of the things I could never understand with our southern neighbours is their admiration for someone who is arrogant. It's as though they mistake arrogance for boldness or toughness. Arrogance is a horrible trait in a person.

Well, I guess this forum is really about abortion, so I apologize but people have got to know about who’s really being quoted.

As for abortion, I’m not sure what I really want to say. I appreciate the sentiment some people have with life, but I think pro-life attitudes toward abortion can be a unfair judgment to be passed over the myriad of reasons someone might have for having an abortion.

Aside from things to do with a mother’s health, or and issue of rape/incest, there are also a lot of other unethical or unwarranted circumstances by which a child could be brought into the world. I think that before any real sense of consciousness in the embryo develops it can also be viewed unethical to allow the development of life into harsh unloving circumstances.

Also, I can never understand how people who can be of the pro-life stance, be equally supportive capital punishment, or of supporting a war. And I also have a hard time understanding how some people of the pro-life/conservative stance can also sometimes be bent against the government when it comes to social programs, welfare, etc. It’s an irony of seeing people who show a desire to save an unborn life also showing contempt for the care of lives which already exist.

I’m not trying to make sweeping generalizations. There are many different people with many different reasons for their beliefs and some very noble, but what I’ve said can be observed. Something which shows a complete contradiction on the attitude of supposedly “valuing life”.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Excuse me for my tolerance. If Ann chooses to not agree with Quebec's policies, she has every right to do so....untill the socilists get in power that is.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

elevennevele said:
Also, I can never understand how people who can be of the pro-life stance, be equally supportive capital punishment, or of supporting a war.

I suppose it's the same reason anti-war support a womans right to kill.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Tories Urged to Re-op

My stance on abortions, and this is just my 18 1/2 cents on the issue, stems from rape. What if a woman is raped and therefore becomes pregnant? I think a woman in that situation should be able to adort her "child" if she so chooses. Now if the woman is a complete skank and becomes pregnant for forethought, I don't think abortion should be an easy out for her. Just my 18 1/2 cents as I said.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

Jay said:
Excuse me for my tolerance. If Ann chooses to not agree with Quebec's policies, she has every right to do so....untill the socilists get in power that is.

I don't think it's Quebec policies that she specifically has a problem with. If so, then she is a really poor speaker.

I personally doubt she is even informed about Quebec and it's people. She attacked french people as a whole because that is the type of scapegoating some in the USA need to do when it comes to their frustrations for a lack of world support in a fraudulent Iraq war.

I think not said:
I suppose it's the same reason anti-war support a womans right to kill.

Well done. Cleverly put, but I don't think people who support abortion do so because they view the death of an unborn fetus as great thing. You can still support the reasons for why an abortion may need to occur while not appreciating that it had to occur. I know is some ways you can say the same of war but there isn't any bloodlust involved with abortion. Unlike what goes through people head with war and the death involved.

What was that called? Oh yeah...

"Shock and Awe”

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
All I was trying to do is point out being pro-choice or pro-life, as they call it aren't simple issues. It's not a for a woman to abort her child, although I agree she should have that right, and it isn't an easy thing to "force" someone to keep the child.

War isn't about bloodlust, nor is capital punishment. Social issues of this magnitude shouldn't be taken lightly, is all I'm saying. I am against capital punishment, but I acknowledge my weakness when I hear of a horrific crime, that I want that person put to death, out of anger for what that person has done.

I am also anti-war, only lunatics are pro-war. But I also acknowledge there are instances that call for war, even before one is attacked.

Like I said, I don't believe any issue is simple.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
As it now stands in Canada, a woman has reasonable control over her own body.

That's the way it should be. Any debate on how it "should" be is redundant; we already have the law........But;

If mein Harper ever gets a majority, a lot of things we take for granted are going to change; this would likely be one of them.

Too bad.

Just my HO. :?

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
RE: Tories Urged to Re-op

The fact that it is legal only prevents women from getting backalley coat hanger abortions. It helps keep the women alive.

If you really wanted to prevent abortion, you'd support proper sex education in schools. That would do way more to reduce the numbers of abortions than outlawing the act itself.

Not to mention the moral implications involved in disallowing a woman to cure herself of a medical condition.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
I think not said:
All I was trying to do is point out being pro-choice or pro-life, as they call it aren't simple issues. It's not a for a woman to abort her child, although I agree she should have that right, and it isn't an easy thing to "force" someone to keep the child.

War isn't about bloodlust, nor is capital punishment. Social issues of this magnitude shouldn't be taken lightly, is all I'm saying. I am against capital punishment, but I acknowledge my weakness when I hear of a horrific crime, that I want that person put to death, out of anger for what that person has done.

I am also anti-war, only lunatics are pro-war. But I also acknowledge there are instances that call for war, even before one is attacked.

Like I said, I don't believe any issue is simple.

Yeah this is all very reasonable. It seems clear you are not the type of person I was referencing. I however made such references because of how substantial such incongruity can be seen in the pro-life camp. Yet I still noted that there are people of noble sentiment when it comes to how they view life. I’m not against that. Ultimately the person who ends up having the abortion will have to live with their conscience as to the reasons why they had the procedure done.

I feel there is too much in the way of religious overtones as justification for being against abortion and how a government should legislate. Thus it becomes a definition of how we define at what point life takes on a special significance and that can get pretty blurry during a stage where something still has a very undeveloped brain. But I guess to the religious it’s not about the brain, it’s about it already having a soul.

As for you post, again, there is nothing in it that I would find unreasonable.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Questions for those wanting restrictions:

Rape only: Who judges and when does judgement take place? Is there a court hearing? Gestation is quicker than the criminal justice system.

Why does the means of conception make a difference? If an embryo/fetus has a right to life, why should it matter how it was conceived?