Top CEOs leave 99% in the dust

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The Cap'n leftist? I don't think so! :lol:

It certainly appears that way considering he is promoting that we all have equal salaries.

The captain's communist leanings aside, a perfect example of one of the report's recommendations was the salary cut taken by a Nintendo CEO after acknowledging that his product was not selling satisfactorily. The CEO then dropped the price of the product in order to spike sales again, but because this came with a loss of profit, the CEO took a 50% cut in salary.

His salary prior to the cut was $770,000 which is paltry in comparison to these CEOs who are making 30-40 million/year.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
That's right and probably the way it should be. If an employee makes an extra $ for the outfit, then maybe two bits of it should come his way!

If the CEO is rewarded for making a profit, he (or she) should also be punished by the same degree for taking a loss.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
That is a ridiculous claim which basically amounts to communism, captain.

You should try not to give in to your leftist leanings as such in the future.

Well then MF, I'm guessing that a marginal income gap would be acceptable to you... How much of a gap between top and bottom is acceptable?.. Will you be the one in charge of legislating what is the proper gap size or shall we dig out the ole Ouija board and contact Jack Layton in the great beyond for his sage advice?

But please do answer - I am highly interested in hearing what is an acceptable comparative income for a cardiovascular surgeon as compared to one of the chicks that holds the 'STOP' sign at road construction sites.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
one of the chicks that holds the 'STOP' sign at road construction sites.
Remember when those chicks were hotties in bikinis? Now they have some 300lb guy hired because of his diabetes "disability".

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
But please do answer - I am highly interested in hearing what is an acceptable comparative income for a cardiovascular surgeon as compared to one of the chicks that holds the 'STOP' sign at road construction sites.

I cannot propose exact salary amounts, but I can comment on economic factors that should influence salary.

One of those factors is inflation of course. Another factor would be the profit margin.

Absolutely!

Right. Well then we agree.

Unfortunately, there are only a handful of cases where this has even happened (see my example.)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well then MF, I'm guessing that a marginal income gap would be acceptable to you... How much of a gap between top and bottom is acceptable?.. Will you be the one in charge of legislating what is the proper gap size or shall we dig out the ole Ouija board and contact Jack Layton in the great beyond for his sage advice?

I don't think there is any doubt that the pyramid needs flattening. When I was first in the work force the head honcho (CEO) earned about 7 times that of the peon (asst. janitor). Now it's probably more like 50 times. But the entire structure of industry should be changed, not just concentrating on a few fat cats.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The average salaries for each group in 2010 is as follows:

Top 100: $8.38 million

Average Canadian: $44,366

Low income: $19,798

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I do recall those women... Do I ever!

I'm just hoping that the ladies didn't make any extra money on the side selling calendars of them in their bikinis because it would establish an income gap between sign-holders.

Well, I do remember one gross babe flagging traffic in the summer heat, during which she was "under clad". We used to try to sidle up to her to get a view of the bee tattoed on her boob. :lol:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
There is a solution for this.. and its one that is proven in the last period of sustained, equitably shared prosperity in the nation's history. And that is PROGRESSIVE TAXATION.. at a rate of say, 75% for incomes above say $1 million. And more important than that is what is to be taxed.. and that is CAPITAL GAINS, excepting only primary residence, at the FULL Marginal Rate.​
That means you will have to establish adequate controls against the flight of income to foreign tax havens. Which means that the scourge of the productive economy, monetarism, will have to be rescinded as well.
Income polarization has become a major debilitating force in our society and the most effective way to address it, and protect society as a whole, is to re-institute true progressive taxation​
The only fair tax is a consumption tax. All other taxes should be abolished.​

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I don't think there is any doubt that the pyramid needs flattening. When I was first in the work force the head honcho (CEO) earned about 7 times that of the peon (asst. janitor). Now it's probably more like 50 times. But the entire structure of industry should be changed, not just concentrating on a few fat cats.

A few things to think about JLM.

If the plan to flatten the pyramid is moved forward, how do you do it? Do you bring the top earners down to the middle or try to raise the bottom up?.. Either action will generate consequences, so how does one accomplish this without shooting yourself in the economic foot?

In terms of past experiences; the world is a much different place today... Thinking back to when you started working - a company that made profits in excess of $1 million was unusual... Today, there are tons of companies that make in the neighborhood of billions.

The message is: be careful when comparing 2 different time frames.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The average salaries for each group in 2010 is as follows:

Top 100: $8.38 million

Average Canadian: $44,366

Low income: $19,798
Big deal. If you don't like it do something about it. Become a CEO and enjoy your life. Don't become a CEO and enjoy your life. Stop whining.

Last edited: