Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Bill C-51 'Day of Action' protests denounce new policing powers

Protests were held across Canada against the government's proposed anti-terrorism legislation, which would give police much broader powers and allow them to detain terror suspects, and give new powers to Canada's spy agency.
NDP leader Tom Mulcair joined hundreds in Montreal in a march through the city. One protester held up a poster saying "C-51 is an act of terror," while others carried red "Stop Harper" signs.
The protest planned to end in front of the riding office of Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau. Trudeau has said his caucus will vote in favour of the bill.

More: Bill C-51 'Day of Action' protests denounce new policing powers - Politics - CBC News

Harpo done gone and done it now!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
So I would interpret opposing anti-terrorism would be the same as encouraging terrorism! No?
Harper is the terrorist. Bill C-51 is an act of terrorism. You want to live in a fascist state, that is your problem. Former PMs and most Law Professors say this is going to take away our civil rights and it is against the constitution.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Harper is the terrorist. Bill C-51 is an act of terrorism. You want to live in a fascist state, that is your problem. Former PMs and most Law Professors say this is going to take away our civil rights and it is against the constitution.

Former liberal PM's? NDP law professors? I watched the protest, a handfull of kids, a few unionists and profs. Not even close to a minority of people. :roll:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Didn't you already say that you don't care about any of this?

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
You guys ever notice that it took the opposition parties and the press a very long time to explain their specific conerns about bill 51? In the past 6 weeks, I've read about 100 articles full of inuendo, and unsupported ambiguious mud slinging. Finally, in the past week, I've found about 5 or 6 articles that get specific. Naturally, it is prudent to question the journalistic integrity of the 5 or 6 articles that I read so I started to read the actual bill C51. I am not a lawyer, but I'm not finding the sort of language in the bill that the media has suggested is there.

Not surprising. This happens all the time. Pierre with Hair has outright lied about the common sense firearms legislation. He drummed up BS about guns in parking lots when the proposed laws don't add or take away from existing laws on that aspect of guns in parking lots.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Living in a fascist state is exactly what we are trying to prevent. The far left is a far greater threat to civil rights than what you call right wing.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Didn't your learn in school that a double negative = a positive? Former P.M.s and Law Professors aren't part of the most credible groups in society. Former P.M.s generally have an axe to grind and Law Professors are just an elite level of bureaucraps who are paid about 10 times what they are worth.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Some truth to that. It is time the government took back the power to run the country from the anti everything groups.

That power may soon be in the hands of Trudeau and the Liberals. Still good with that? :lol:

Sad to watch people willingly hand over what we have fought so hard for. Gutless. Still, on the plus side a bill that we were initially told was popular is turning out not to be so popular. Harper's chance of a majority are diminishing.

I AM GROOT!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What do you care?
I and my friends still have to live here too. Believe it or not, I care. I don't recall saying anything that you are accusing me of but if it makes you feel comfortable, keep on thinking that. If I did, I must have been having a bad day. Do you ever have a bad day Gerry? Are you always on an even keel, always upbeat and full of love for your fellow Man?