To Kill or Not - Usually Last Resort

• Never Take a Life- I would let them kill others

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
In the heat of the moment while you are defending yourself and you kill the person, id say judging on the situation it could be warrented. Usually breaking a limb is preferable to smashing someones head in though...... Defending my country against foreign invaders, id say is expected because id be protecting my country lifestyle and culture. If i seen an officer getting pummeled by a criminal id probally incapacitate the criminal over actually killing the criminal

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
In the heat of the moment while you are defending yourself and you kill the person, id say judging on the situation it could be warrented. Usually breaking a limb is preferable to smashing someones head in though...... Defending my country against foreign invaders, id say is expected because id be protecting my country lifestyle and culture. If i seen an officer getting pummeled by a criminal id probally incapacitate the criminal over actually killing the criminal

As would many - But to stick to a strong moral belief in not killing and dying for it is a lot harder than killing in self defense.

Some would and some would not. Like most things in life, you never know how you will react till in that type of situation

That said a number of people on this Forum have been in those situations.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Why is it not related? There are plenty of ways to kill. Why leave some out?

Cannot cover all - asked the questions that people could relate to - protecting others for one - self defense - War - and so on.

I was asking Yes or No - Not related to the thread topic in any way -

So the question is - is it yes or is it no???

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I only kill to eat.

BTW the film does go into would or wouldn't you kill during war or if socially acceptable.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I only kill to eat.

BTW the film does go into would or wouldn't you kill during war or if socially acceptable.

Well I will watch that this week. Still have not had time to go over the other one yet.

As one poster puts it - be afraid of the ones who like it. As to not killing - or killing - Only that situation when faced will give a person a truer perspective of what they would or would not do.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well I will watch that this week. Still have not had time to go over the other one yet.

As one poster puts it - be afraid of the ones who like it. As to not killing - or killing - Only that situation when faced will give a person a truer perspective of what they would or would not do.
How much of it has to do with being led to believe certain ways of killing or killing certain people are okay and others aren't?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
By refusing to take a life, does that include standing by and not preventing a person from killing someone?

If by preventing you kill them, but you save a life - Now that is a conflcit is it not?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
A true pacifist might say that he wouldn't kill to save a member of his family...
But let him face a situation where someone is about to shoot a member of his family and he has a firearm in reach and he say he wouldn't grab that gun and shoot the sonofab_itch...I say bullshyte and that person is lying through his teeth.

This should have had a thumbs down, not a thumbs up. You have no idea what you are talking about.\

Well that was just a hypothetical but Gerry, I truly hope that scenario of mine never happens to you in real life, because it would mean an innocent person would die, and that would really be a shame!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well that was just a hypothetical but Gerry, I truly hope that scenario of mine never happens to you in real life, because it would mean an innocent person would die, and that would really be a shame!

Most people have never been in a situation where they had to make that choice. And that is good.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
The part in red is what I find offensive. You are calling me a liar.

Then I must apologize to you for the bad terminology and rephrase to what I really meant is that if the hypothetical became real that person would quite probably change his mind and shoot the bastard.
I....nuf said!

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Depends on who the other person is..............my wife yes, one of the Bacon Bros. probably not. :lol:

The first two words of your post say it all.

There is no given (standard) or even instinctive response to any situation. One simply does not know what one will do.....so all this is purely hypothetical.

Such hypothesis requires that one is armed at all times and is able to save another life by killing the attacker. But even that does not make sense......as a standard response. One has to have some kind of savior complex to believe they would be able to kill to save.

The variables are too numerous ......so at best this is hypothetical.

All I know for certain.........is that I will do everything I can to avoid hurting / killing anyone. (even if I had the means....which I don't and will not. If I am unfortunate enough to be in such a awful situation.....and die in the process......then that is how it is.

Truth be told.........I would rather be killed than kill anyone else. I could NOT live with myself knowing I had terminated a life.

In some minds this is cowardice. THey can judge it any way they like. As their opinion on that means nothing to me. It isn't THEIR life we are talking about.

A question not posed is: " Would you give up your life so your family or important other can live ???"

just a thought.

In many ways .....the topic is philosophical as well as your basic self defense or life/ death equation.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The first two words of your post say it all.

There is no given (standard) or even instinctive response to any situation. One simply does not know what one will do.....so all this is purely hypothetical.

Such hypothesis requires that one is armed at all times and is able to save another life by killing the attacker. But even that does not make sense......as a standard response. One has to have some kind of savior complex to believe they would be able to kill to save.

The variables are too numerous ......so at best this is hypothetical.

All I know for certain.........is that I will do everything I can to avoid hurting / killing anyone. (even if I had the means....which I don't and will not. If I am unfortunate enough to be in such a awful situation.....and die in the process......then that is how it is.

Truth be told.........I would rather be killed than kill anyone else. I could NOT live with myself knowing I had terminated a life.

In some minds this is cowardice. THey can judge it any way they like. As their opinion on that means nothing to me. It isn't THEIR life we are talking about.

A question not posed is: " Would you give up your life so your family or important other can live ???"

just a thought.

In many ways .....the topic is philosophical as well as your basic self defense or life/ death equation.

Interesting question. I think I have had too much training to protecting my own ass to willingly give up my own life for some one else. Although I would take more chances to protect the life of someone close to me than I would for a stranger.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

As Ger and Bear stated - In a heartbeat - For that question you get a thumbs up - The point is that we stay civil and listen and ask questions.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I spent 11 years carrying guns for an armored car company, and the last three as local training officer.

You always tell a class of newcomers:

"You need to think about this. You may be called on to shoot, perhaps kill another human being while performing your duty. It may not be a simple choice between the money or shooting, it may be necessary to save yourself, or your partner. So, you need to think about this....could you, without undue hesitation, pull the trigger on another human being? Go home, think about it tonight. If the answer is "NO", please don't come back tomorrow."

As for me, obviously, I already answered the question.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
There are other questions in the poll. Would you kill to protect another person(s) from being killed?
I think that's a very loaded question. Do you mean if a person is a soldier killing to protect others; you see two people fighting and one has a knife, do you kill the one with the knife to save the other? What if you're wrong and the one with the knife managed to be the one to get control of a weapon that was going to be used on them? Too many variables.

I believe that all life is sacred...

I can however compartmentalize my emotion and ethical beliefs. In the dispensing of duty to my country, countrymen, family.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for true pacifists. Who abhor violence of any kind. Who believe that the taking the life of another human being, is simply wrong. Whose faith, principle and beliefs are so devout, that could give their life, before taking one.

That takes courage, and conviction, of no less strength or character than that of someone that would kill to save that person.
Goober is talking about physical violence but - there is physical and verbal (abuse)violence. Even words can be violent and can shake an individual up enough to cause them such stress that they can have a stroke or a heart attack and die as a result.
By all life being sacred, do you just mean human lives? I ask this because you hunt animals to feed your family, yet, if you were to believe all life is sacred, no animal has to die for you to survive. You said it - I didn't. I don't kill my own food but purchase it. This is where you might ask me if it's alright for someone else to kill for me. I would have to say that as long as I eat meat (and I do) then I have to let it be alright for cows/pigs, and chickens to be killed in order for me to eat meat. Beyond that, I would have to survive on vegetation.