There are more countries in the world than just Canada &

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
RE: There are more countries in the world than just Canada &

As a matter of fact, jackd, I impress many people with my geography!!!

Canada may be the US largest trading partner, but here's one thing I bet you didn't know:

The border between San Diego, California and Tijuana, Mexico is the world's most crossed border.

A lot of this consists of tourists, true. A lot of Californians and Americans love to go to Mexico to kick it. And you have Mexicans who visit California. But a lot of that flow is also migrants, both legal and illegal. Did you know that the number of migrants (who are almost all, but not all Mexican) who cross the border everyday numbers well into the thousands? Apparently, that fence we built at the border between San Diego and Tijuana hasn't held as many people back as hoped for. Never mind the desert region in Arizona or the Rio Grande in southern Texas. Yep, we get Mexicans entering by the millions every year!!! Lo and behold, Spanish will be our second language for a while (far more important than French is in Canada).

And what impact do you think this has on the US economy and resources? Over the past decade, we suddenly have to step up border patrols.

It has, in many ways, helped the US economy, though, by providing great sources of labour and business, despite some of the drains!!!

I'll tell you one thing, if you think the Surrey, BC/Blaine, WA crossing is busy, wait until you see the San Diego/Tijuana crossing. Oh my goodness!!!

And it's not just Mexicans that use this border. People from all over the world arrive in Mexico to enter the USA. Most of these are Central Americans.

Oh, and did I mention the Cuban and Haitian boat people who arrive in Florida like crazy?

And this is not all just people either, this leads to business as well.

So this massive migration into the US from Mexico doesn't affect Canadians. Or so they think.

With all that in mind, don't be offended or surprised if the USA doesn't pay as much attention to Canada as Canada does to the USA. You're not the ones with a Mexico or Cuba in your immediate path, in addition to a northern neighbour. You're not the ones who need to build a fence on your southern border. Because as much as you think that Americans are providing you with a "foreign invasion" well, Americans have the same feeling about their own southern neighbour.

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
Re: There are more countries in the world than just Canada &

Someone: I know the San Diego/Tijuana border very well for having crossed it dozens of times. I lived in LaJolla for almost 2 years, if you know where it is.
And you think the U.S. has a large immigration rate as compared to Canada.....Not so: Canada has twice the immigration rate the U.S. has. You probably did not know that Canada has the highest immigration rate per capita in the free world.
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/imm_new_cit_cap
I know the U.S. has a major problem controlling its southern border but it would seem the U.S. administration feels it is more important to station well over 250,000 soldiers all over the world instead of having them sit at the Mexican border to control the flow. Many business people in the U.S. consider hiring illegal immigrants as a necessary evil to stay in business. Stop the illegals and many businesses will collapse in the U.S. The politician know this very well and will only offer lip service to change the current situation.

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal

Someone: I know the San Diego/Tijuana border very well for having crossed it dozens of times. I lived in LaJolla for almost 2 years, if you know where it is.
And you think the U.S. has a large immigration rate as compared to Canada.....Not so: Canada has twice the immigration rate the U.S. has. You probably did not know that Canada has the highest immigration rate per capita in the free world.
I know the U.S. has a major problem controlling its southern border but it would seem the U.S. administration feels it is more important to station well over 250,000 soldiers all over the world instead of having them sit at the Mexican border to control the flow. Many business people in the U.S. consider hiring illegal immigrants as a necessary evil to stay in business. Stop the illegals and many businesses will collapse in the U.S. The politician know this very well and will only offer lip service to change the current situation.

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Province perdue du Canada, Louisian
Re: RE: There are more countries in the world than just Cana

LadyC said:
Someone said:
Canada has only one neighbour - the USA.
Check a map. Canada also counts as neighbours Russia, Iceland, Greenland and France.

Neighbours of the USA:

Mexico on the Rio Grand
Canada on the 49th Treaty Line and Alaska
Russia on Western Alaska
France at Western American Somoa
UK/New Zealand in the south Pacific Islands.
Bahamas off Florida
Cuba south of Key West, Florida.
Kiribati South of Wake and Palmyra Islands
UK/Bermuda off North Carolina and the Virgin Islands
with France/UK/Netherlands/west Indies
Domincan Republic off Puerto Rico
Haiti and Jamaica next to Navassa Island.

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004

LadyC said:
Someone said:
Check a map. Canada also counts as neighbours Russia, Iceland, Greenland and France.

Neighbours of the USA:

Mexico on the Rio Grand
Russia on Western Alaska
Bahamas off Florida

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004

LadyC said:
Someone said:

Neighbours of the USA:

Mexico on the Rio Grand
Russia on Western Alaska
Bahamas off Florida