The word "girl" not acceptable anymore?.........

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
People have to remember that the "impartial" BBC is the most left-wing, liberal, politically correct organisation in the world and, for some years now, the "impartial" (which it is meant to be but isn't) BBC has had a left wing, liberal, PC bias.

Like Western society in general, the BBC asylum has been overrun by the left wing loony inmates. This is an organisation that bizarrely says calling a girl a "girl" is sexist and edits the use of the word from one of its Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games videos, yet has no problem with people saying the word f*ck on its dramas and comedy celebrity panel shows (the BBC comedy celebrity panel shows, like QI and Mock the Week, are just tools for left wing celebrities to make prats of themselves in front of the nation).

So you can't say "g*rl" but you can say f uck".

This is just what happens when the left wing loonies manage to take over the asylum. It's no wonder Ukip are doing so well. Ukip are the party which will supply the large nets and straitjackets. Our Western societies have become large versions of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
"I find it offensive when people refer to young women or adult females as “girls” because it diminishes who and what we are, and makes us seem young and unimportant," she said.

The thing is, this dopey woman doesn't realise that 99.9% of people have no problem with women being referred to as "girls". It is only her and one or two other feminazi weirdos who have such a problem with it. So she may feel "offended" by it but hardly anyone else does, yet she thinks we should stop calling women "girls" just because SHE finds it offensive.
I use the term 'Miss' when addressing a lot of women.

I think I'm supposed to 'feel bad' about that now.

You may have only been sarcastic but, believe it or not, you ARE supposed to feel bad about that! Apparently you are "discrimnating against women" because "miss" is lower-ranked than "sir".

Some feminazi with too much time on her hands has decided that the centuries-old tradition of British pupils politely addressing their teachers as "Miss" or "Sir" should be axed because they "discriminate against women".

Of course, starting to call teachers by their first names will be another step away discipline and respect for teachers in our schools, which have suffered a lot in recent years since the liberal takeover of our schools, but I doubt Miss Coates, who is somehow the emeritus professor of English language and linguistics at Roehampton University, is too bothered by that.

Stop calling teachers 'Miss' or 'Sir', pupils are told

The Telegraph
13 May 2014

Traditional teachers’ titles such as “Sir” and “Miss” should be consigned to history because they discriminate against women, according to academics.

Pupils should be encouraged to use teachers’ first names to bring schools "up-to-date" and ensure children are not exposed “to the prejudices of the previous generation”, it was claimed.

Experts said the use of "Sir" for men and "Miss" for all female teachers – irrespective of marital status – was old-fashioned and “embodies the massive status disparity and sexism of previous years”.

But one school leader defended the terms, insisting they represented a mark of respect.

The titles, which have been used by generations of British schoolchildren, can be traced back centuries, it emerged.

According to the Times Educational Supplement, Sir was first used in 16th century classrooms when male teachers of a lower social standing were attempting to reinforce their authority among largely upper-class boys.

Miss is largely a throwback to the late Victorian era when pressure was put on women to give up work after they married, with a number of schools only hiring single female teachers.

Jennifer Coates, emeritus professor of English language and linguistics at Roehampton University, said there was no place for the titles in the 21st century.

“It’s a depressing example of how women are given low status and men, no matter how young or new in the job they are, are given high status,” she told the TES.

“Sir is a knight. There weren’t women knights, but ‘Miss’ is ridiculous: it doesn’t match ‘Sir’ at all. It’s just one of the names you can call an unmarried woman.”

Stop calling teachers 'Miss' or 'Sir', pupils are told - Telegraph

Last edited:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I think she may have gotten confused. The sentence: “I am not sure I can live that down - being beaten by a 19-year-old girl.” was probably not meant to be as derogatory as it is. He was beaten by a 19 yr old woman.

I believe he was attempting to be funny, but in this case he made it sound like being beaten by a female (girl) was a horrendous insult to his masculinity. I think the person who got upset should have been upset with the person who made the comment and not the word he used.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Bitch, please! Lol

Wonder how they're going to refer to non-adults of the female persuasion now. Little women? Bah, that's sounds even worse, it sounds condescending.

Grand scheme of things, molehill into mountain, yet again. :roll:

Yeah, it's pretty well "much ado about nothing". By the same token if I was referred to as a boy, I don't think it would ruin my day.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think she may have gotten confused. The sentence: “I am not sure I can live that down - being beaten by a 19-year-old girl.” was probably not meant to be as derogatory as it is. He was beaten by a 19 yr old woman.

I believe he was attempting to be funny, but in this case he made it sound like being beaten by a female (girl) was a horrendous insult to his masculinity. I think the person who got upset should have been upset with the person who made the comment and not the word he used.

Yeah, he's attempting to be funny. That's the worse part about it. That the shame of losing a fight to a woman is an unquestioned part of our culture, and isn't a riot that he's being self-deprecating about it?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is just plain silly. What happens to the term and who really cares?
Are we going to take offense to the term boy or guys or what?
I find myself referring to my wife and daughter sometimes in a sentence
"The girls will pick up the mail on the way home" If that is sexist sorry
but I disagree.
If some guy was pounded to the mat by a 19 year old girl, you would think
she would be proud of her accomplishment. Its a term it was not meant to
e offensive it was a statement of fact. If we are going to get formal in Canada
it might me the age of majority in BC is 19 so she might be referred to as a
19 year old woman in America the age of majority is 21 so she might be called
a girl.
Does anyone else notice how ridiculous all this is?
We have become so caught up in terminology we overlook the fact the young
ladies accomplishment. Sometimes I wonder about people and if some really
need a life

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
but I disagree.
a girl.
need a life

First world problems, eh?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
but I disagree.
a girl.
need a life
As the term is usually used, the age of majority in the U.S. is 18. At 18 a person is legally responsible for herself, can enter into contracts, vote, & c. The only things one can't do at 18 are purchase alcohol and rent a car.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Where there is confusion just remember the old adage "A rose by any other name is still a rose"!

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Frankly some people are just looking for nits to pick at, if someone called me a girl I would be delited. I have a few words I could use to discribe there people but if I used them I would be banned for life from this forum.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yeah, he's attempting to be funny. That's the worse part about it. That the shame of losing a fight to a woman is an unquestioned part of our culture, and isn't a riot that he's being self-deprecating about it?

I wouldn't find it very funny if I lost to a 19-year-old girl in a fight. I'd find it very embarrasing.

Plus, I found the guy to be funny. But then, yet again, I'm not one of those modern humourless liberals who don't find anything funny because they think any joke is bound to be offensive to some human, animal or mineral.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
he was beaten by a 19 year old girl...she whooped him, she should be thrilled he was being self-deprecating and who ever is insulted by that needs look a little deeper inside to see what is causing such high anxiety over such a minor issue...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
he was beaten by a 19 year old girl...she whooped him, she should be thrilled he was being self-deprecating and who ever is insulted by that needs look a little deeper inside to see what is causing such high anxiety over such a minor issue...

Gender is not necessarily an indication of strength or lack of it. I know a lot of girls who could thrash me if I deserved it. The shame is acting like an A$$hole, not in getting beaten up! -:)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What is the problem here? In my mind, a "girl", is a female human, older than a child, but younger than a woman.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The whole thing isn't much of a shocker given that she's a Judo Champion, lol. Fighting, like anything else, is a skill set. The only reason untrained males usually have an advantage over females is size. Skills can even out those odds.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The whole thing isn't much of a shocker given that she's a Judo Champion, lol. Fighting, like anything else, is a skill set. The only reason untrained males usually have an advantage over females is size. Skills can even out those odds.

Definitely, being larger can, in fact, be a disadvantage in some instances.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Definitely, being larger can, in fact, be a disadvantage in some instances.

That's true, larger people tend to move a bit slower. I don't mean overweight, I'm talking tall, broad individuals.

Judo too is all about grappling and throwing, if I remember correctly, and center of gravity is important. Smaller individuals, I think, will have better balance.

My kids both took Karate for years and the first time you watch a class and see a 10 or 11 year old throwing an adult to the ground can be an eye opening experience, lol. Obviously the adults aren't 'fighting back' in those scenarios but it does give you an idea about how important speed and skill really are.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
That's true, larger people tend to move a bit slower. I don't mean overweight, I'm talking tall, broad individuals.

Judo too is all about grappling and throwing, if I remember correctly, and center of gravity is important. Smaller individuals, I think, will have better balance.

My kids both took Karate for years and the first time you watch a class and see a 10 or 11 year old throwing an adult to the ground can be an eye opening experience, lol. Obviously the adults aren't 'fighting back' in those scenarios but it does give you an idea about how important speed and skill really are.

You got it right. Judo is all about balance and using your opponents "momentum" against them. I took many years of "kung foo" when I was younger along with some training in Karate and Jujitsu.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
What is the problem here? In my mind, a "girl", is a female human, older than a child, but younger than a woman.

You know how some people are able to take the most innocent word and make it sound sweaty and dirty and x rated? Some people hear misogyny that way.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Sounds like Newspeak doesn't it.. of George Orwell's 1984.. where language is sequestered to the promotion of a political ideal.

Well i still use the word ACTRESS when it applies to a GIRL in a performance role. Songstress, ChairWoman, patroness, hostess.. everychance i get i use feminine form, especially when it illucidates the God given gifts and uniqueness, the real power, of that gender in comparison that of the male.

Feminists have done a great disservice to women, robbing them of their particular genius.. and trying to reform them as something at which they will always be massively mediocre and incompetent, not to mention unhappy and unfulfilled.. MEN.

Last edited: