"The Western BlocK Party!!!"

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
SirJoe, I'm not talking about separation for Alberta or anyone else with a "Western BlocK Party."

That’s OK, Ron, I was responding to JLM’s query (where he said that Alberta will have something to say when it came to joining USA).

If the USA (or anyone else for that matter) wants to point a gun at Alberta's (or any other Canadian
Provinces) head....a united Canada can tell them to go p*ss up a rope!!!

Sure a united Canada can (and I don't think USA will even try, with United Canada), but I don’t think an independent Alberta would be in a position to do that.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
If you're going to go that far as to make your own political party that represents an entire area of the country in order to get what they want from the rest of the country and government, then why don't you just go the extra step and seperate and deal with your own business?

Why don't both the west and Quebec seperate? That's the objective isn't it?

If not, then why else stay in the country other then to mooch of the rest of the country in whatever you can't get on your own?

You know what's going to happen? This was going to happen eventually ever since Quebec got their own political party. Other provinces and territories would make their own as well and then you have all these areas of the country, with parties that specialize in their areas.......

...... fighting exactly the same way as they are all fighting right now. And then the breakup into tiny countries.

Game Over either way.

Which is, once again, why I am not planning on running or getting involved in the current political spectrum, because it's just simply screwed.

It is a good idea though, I do think it is quite interesting.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Prax,
All due respect....

You knock for 3/4 of a page and then you approve.

Gotta love ya!

regs
scratch

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

I just wanted to point this out as well. If you have all those provinces under the one bloc, and then you have Quebec's bloc..... you know the Maritimes would be doing the exact same thing and have their own Bloc...... then you have the Territories.

All you got left is Ontario isolated with no other Provinces for their Bloc..... Sure Quebec is just one Province, but they got character and an identity :p

Eventually if conflict occurs like today in a group of parties setup like this..... that would be the very first step into all of the country ripping apart and pulling a USSR.

Ontario would be Russia and the Maritimes Georgia, coming in with the military to raid your Tim Horton's that we lost in the division...... then Ontario would come back and take our fish.

Bast'ards! Yar :angry3:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If you're going to go that far as to make your own political party that represents an entire area of the country in order to get what they want from the rest of the country and government, then why don't you just go the extra step and seperate and deal with your own business?

If not, then why else stay in the country other then to mooch of the rest of the country in whatever you can't get on your own?

You know what's going to happen? This was going to happen eventually ever since Quebec got their own political party. Other provinces and territories would make their own as well and then you have all these areas of the country, with parties that specialize in their areas.......

...... fighting exactly the same way as they are all fighting right now. And then the breakup into tiny countries.

Game Over either way.

Which is, once again, why I am not planning on running or getting involved in the current political spectrum, because it's just simply screwed.

It is a good idea though, I do think it is quite interesting.

Prax....You'd be perfect as the Leader of the nonexistent "Western BlocK Party." In it's
currently imaginary bylaws, it'll have to note specifically that the Leader (unlike the Prez of
the U.S.) doesn't have to be born in a Province in the BlocK...He/She just has to commit to
the Mandate of Non-Separation and to promoting Western Canadian interests. With your
intelligence, integrity, and skepticism, you'd be Great!!! Being jaded to the current
political spectrum could be an asset for a Leader of a new Party.

Once you have the ability to ensure that the "Western BlocK Party" gets a fair shake, the
same Party can be used can use its influence to help ensure that others get a fair shake to by
injecting that lacking commodity of Common Sense into Parliament.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Sure, and why not an Atlantic Party, and a Northern Territorial Party and Northern Ontario Party and GTA Party and where the hell does this all end exactly?

BQ is able to get the support that they do because they are unique for now...if every geographic area or special interest group started their own party, then all of them would fade into irrelevancy...

What would happen is the same thing that happened with the Reform, Alliance and PC parties merging into one, with the weaker PC party being muscled out by the Reformers...except it would be the extremists on left, right and center...

Then we'd have scads of uber-extreme parties kicking the living **** out of each other for fun and profit...

Not that it would be a bad thing...might be as good as UFC without the $40 pricetag...

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Sure, and why not an Atlantic Party, and a Northern Territorial Party and Northern Ontario Party and GTA Party and where the hell does this all end exactly?

BQ is able to get the support that they do because they are unique for now...if every geographic area or special interest group started their own party, then all of them would fade into irrelevancy...

What would happen is the same thing that happened with the Reform, Alliance and PC parties merging into one, with the weaker PC party being muscled out by the Reformers...except it would be the extremists on left, right and center...

Then we'd have scads of uber-extreme parties kicking the living **** out of each other for fun and profit...

Not that it would be a bad thing...might be as good as UFC without the $40 pricetag...

Not to sound too dense, but how is BQ any more or less unique than the Atlantic Party
would be? The current system doesn't work. This is just one idea. Please pick it apart and
come up with something different & better from the pieces...or something completely
different all together that works for everyone. I've been just winging it here...

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
It's everyone for themselves- Apparently Stelmach has got a plan to put up a firewall around Alberta, he's holding his cards close to his chest for now, until he finds out who's standing after the smoke clears.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I just wanted to point this out as well. If you have all those provinces under the one bloc, and then you have Quebec's bloc..... you know the Maritimes would be doing the exact same thing and have their own Bloc...... then you have the Territories.

All you got left is Ontario isolated with no other Provinces for their Bloc..... Sure Quebec is just one Province, but they got character and an identity :p

Bast'ards! Yar :angry3:

So.....Western Canada have character of an identity? :lol: What about the non-existing Atlantic Party? :lol:
Yar Indeed!!!:cool:

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Ok you treasonous turds. Give your collective heads a shake. Or better yet, let me shake it for you. They used to hang traitors in the old days. When I hear such talk from my fellow Canadians my stomach begins to turn somersaults and I want to vomit in your general direction.

if you want to play that game let's get at 'er....

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Mooch off the country? No. As Canadians FIRST, and members of the BlocK second, and
following the mandate of the Party of Non-Separation and representing Western Canadians
interests as well as those of a united Canada, Mooching doesn't fit into the equation. More
than willing to pay our share, and more if need be...but would like a say in it...a voice.

A BlocK would be an option to vote for, not an ultimatum. In those four Provinces are
92 seats (way less than 1/2 of 308), and if half voted for the BlocK, that means that the
other half would have votes for some other Party or Parties...

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Not to sound too dense, but how is BQ any more or less unique than the Atlantic Party
would be?

I was writing within the context of the possibility of multiple regional parties...as such, there would be nothing different between BQ and Bloc Atlantica...:smile:

The current system doesn't work. This is just one idea. Please pick it apart and
come up with something different & better from the pieces...or something completely
different all together that works for everyone. I've been just winging it here...

I think you're doing just fine Ron, and if it's any consolation, I do understand your frustration with how this has all gone down...

I think though that a coalition of opposition parties could do just as well as the pre-election Cons, and a damn sight better than the post-election Cons (ie. after they decided that because we didn't give them a majority, they would act like we did anyway)

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Part of the Issue is this is the revival of the Reform Party..

The party was the brainchild of a group of discontented Western interest groups who were upset with the PC government and the lack of a voice for Western concerns at the national level. They believed the West needed its own party if it was to be heard. Their main complaints against the Mulroney government were its alleged favouritism towards Quebec, lack of fiscal responsibility, and a failure to support a program of institutional reform (for example, of the Senate). The roots of this discontent lay mainly in their belief that a package of proposed constitutional amendments, called the Meech Lake Accord, failed to meet the needs of Westerners and Canadian unity overall.

Reform Party of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "Western BlocK Party" would focus on it's mandate.

The way I picture things, and following the "Western BlocK Party" mandate, by running
candidates ONLY in the four Western Provinces (BC,AB,SK,MB) will ensure that it will
never have a majority in Parliament (Like the Bloc), but will represent Western Canadian
interests in this manner. There will NEVER be a "Western BlocK Party" PM.
BC = 36 Seats Maximum
AB = 28 Seats Maximum
SK = 14 Seats Maximum
MB= 14 Seats Maximum
so......92 Seats Maximum in any given term of Parliament. So maybe the BlocK only has 50
or so seats one time, next time maybe 80, and next time maybe 40....it's still enough to have
the Western voice heard. Veto power on coalitions if need be, on a vote by vote basis...
The "Western BlocK Party" is not a separatist Federal Party what so ever.

So....which one of you smart folks (in BC,AB,SK,MB) would like to Lead this BlocK?

So Ron are you saying we should start back at square one ?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I was writing within the context of the possibility of multiple regional parties...as such, there would be nothing different between BQ and Bloc Atlantica...:smile:

I think you're doing just fine Ron, and if it's any consolation, I do understand your frustration with how this has all gone down...

I think though that a coalition of opposition parties could do just as well as the pre-election Cons, and a damn sight better than the post-election Cons (ie. after they decided that because we didn't give them a majority, they would act like we did anyway)

Does the 8th Circle, 7th Bolgia face similar issues? If so, I feel for ya' Man!

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
<snip>Apparently Stelmach has got a plan to put up a firewall around Alberta, he's holding his cards close to his chest for now, until he finds out who's standing after the smoke clears.

Whoah...

Deja Frickin' Vu...8O

Mr. Premier, we acknowledge the constructive reforms that your government made in the 1990s – balancing the budget, paying down the provincial debt, privatizing government services, getting Albertans off welfare and into jobs, introducing a single-rate tax, pulling government out of the business of subsidizing business, and many other beneficial changes. But no government can rest on its laurels. An economic slowdown, and perhaps even recession, threatens North America, the government in Ottawa will be tempted to take advantage of Alberta’s prosperity, to redistribute income from Alberta to residents of other provinces in order to keep itself in power. It is imperative to take the initiative, to build firewalls around Alberta, to limit the extent to which an aggressive and hostile federal government can encroach upon legitimate provincial jurisdiction.

-- President National Citizens Coalition, Stephen Harper's letter to Premiere Ralph Klein -- Jan 26, 2001

Here are some of the 'firewall' measures Mr. Harper suggested:

1. "Withdraw from the Canada Pension Plan to create an Alberta Pension Plan...
  2. Collect our own revenue from personal income tax,
  3. Start preparing to let the contract with the RCMP run out in 2012 and create an Alberta provincial police force...
  4. Resume provincial responsibility for health care policy.... we can afford the financial penalties Ottawa might try to impose under the Canada Health Act."

Last edited:

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
If something needs fix'n and there ain't no answer....sometimes it works to start from
scratch as long as you've learned from a previous mistake. 8O

I have no problem with that. Just remember that its much easier for the Bloc to operate in ONE province then it was for the Reform to make FOUR provinces happy.. The constant push and pull between BC,AB,SK and MB can be testing at most provincial premier conference.

Also if we had learned from our mistakes we would not be doing this all again..

Just a thought..

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ok you treasonous turds. Give your collective heads a shake. Or better yet, let me shake it for you. They used to hang traitors in the old days. When I hear such talk from my fellow Canadians my stomach begins to turn somersaults and I want to vomit in your general direction.

if you want to play that game let's get at 'er....

Treasonous? Who's Talk'n treason? I'm talking Unity! A way to eliminate Western Alienation!
(Nice Flag, by the way) If you're a separatist, that's your Bag Man. I don't swing that way!!:lol: