The War On Us

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Increasingly, the US government’s many police forces (often state and local ones as well) operate militarily and are trained to treat ordinary citizens as enemies. At the same time, the people from whom the government personnel take their cues routinely describe those who differ from them socially and politically as illegitimate, criminal, even terrorists. Though these developments have separate roots, the post-9/11 state of no-win war against anonymous enemies has given them momentum. The longer it goes on, the more they converge and set in motion a spiral of civil strife all too well known in history, a spiral ever more difficult to stop short of civil war. Even now ordinary Americans are liable to being disadvantaged, hurt or even killed by their government as never before.

Government’s violent treatment of citizens has become generalized and unremarkable.

Consider:

This month in Washington DC, Federal police riddled with bullets a woman suffering from post-partum depression who, had she been allowed to live, might have been convicted of reckless driving, at most. She had careened too close to the White House and Capitol, but had harmed no one and her car had stopped. In the same month, California sheriffs’ deputies killed a 13 year-old boy who was carrying a plastic toy rifle. It is not illegal to carry a rifle, never mind a toy one. America did not blink. A half century ago, Alabama sheriff Bull Connor’s use of a mere cattle prod to move marchers from blocking a street had caused a national crisis.

In a casual conversation, a friendly employee of the US Forest Service bemoaned to me that he was on his way to a US Army base, where he and colleagues would practice military tactics against persons who resist regulations. A forester, he had hoped to be Smokey the Bear. Instead, he said, “we are now the Department of Provocation.” In fact every US government agency, and most state and local ones now police their ever burgeoning regulations with military equipment, tactics, and above all with the assumption that they are dealing with people who should not be dealt with any other way.

read on:

The War On Us | Online Library of Law and Liberty

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
That was a lot of laughs. Great way to start my day. Thanks Loc. The right wing being oppressed... nearly peed my pants.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
What a laugh, nanny-statism at it's finest... This is exactly what happens when the lefties 'demand' endless rights, and responsibilities are replaced with entitlements.

You wanted bigger gvt - well, ya got it

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh man, I don't know yet who to blame for the actions of the government and police.... the left or the right? Quick, someone make it clearer so I too can turn on the citizenry and blame them, instead of focusing on the law.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
How quick we forget, the right under Bush brought in the Patriot act. That was when
America stopping viewing the world with a hopeful picture and succombed to a world
of fear. They are afraid of their enemies so they will treat everyone as a potential
enemy. When that begins everyone is a suspect not a citizen. Wouldn't it be so much
easier to just put an end to it? No doesn't work that way. First the right demands
action to protect their rights and freedoms. When that happens they complain because
their rights and freedoms are gone. If the government dropped the Patriot act their
fear would take over and they would demand action to provide security. endless circle.
It was once said when you sacrifice liberty for security you end up with neither but that
lesson has not been learned yet.
Don't blame the left for starting this mess it was during a conservative administration
that a war was started when one wasn't needed and a whole but of people rose up in
response, to the point where we are now.
The left of course will not dismantle the monster that was created again because the
right would whine like they have been. Watching what the dissenting voices are doing
is laughable if it were not so sad. Really we are watching the conservative temper
tantrum acted out just like the left had one in the sixties and it will end the same way
somewhere a sane conservative will decide enough is enough and it will end hopefully.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Valid points in the article. I think the massive investment in the state security apparatus should concern people. I think the writer nailed it when referring to police forces and lower level security agecnies becoming quasi-military in their approach. This has been caused by the general impression that we live in a more dangerous world than we used to. We don't of course. But those with a vested interest (military industrial complex, governments, media) profit when we think things are worse.

So police forces grow. No one ever seems to ask why--when we have so many more police, so much more surveillance, so much heavier a weight of the state on our backs--does it continue to get even more dangerous "out there."

Too bad the essay spun out into boring left-right politics just as it was getting good.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh man, I don't know yet who to blame for the actions of the government and police.... the left or the right? Quick, someone make it clearer so I too can turn on the citizenry and blame them, instead of focusing on the law.

It sounds as though those that once supported the Patriot Act and boldly stated; "Your with the terrorists. If you don't like it you can leave. Why don't you move to Cuba. IT'S A CONSPIRACY THEORY" and of course " You're a Leftie" have snapped out of the brainwashing.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
It sucks when the right gets treated the way it has treated others for centuries.

You mean white men. Why didn't you say so?

That was a lot of laughs. Great way to start my day. Thanks Loc. The right wing being oppressed... nearly peed my pants.

The elite is not being oppressed. The working class and middle class are being transformed out of existence. Living in California I've been able to observe the process over the course of decades. Less than half of the people in California are middle class.

How quick we forget, the right under Bush brought in the Patriot act. That was when
America stopping viewing the world with a hopeful picture and succombed to a world
of fear. They are afraid of their enemies so they will treat everyone as a potential
enemy. When that begins everyone is a suspect not a citizen. Wouldn't it be so much
easier to just put an end to it? No doesn't work that way. First the right demands
action to protect their rights and freedoms. When that happens they complain because
their rights and freedoms are gone. If the government dropped the Patriot act their
fear would take over and they would demand action to provide security. endless circle.
It was once said when you sacrifice liberty for security you end up with neither but that
lesson has not been learned yet.
Don't blame the left for starting this mess it was during a conservative administration
that a war was started when one wasn't needed and a whole but of people rose up in
response, to the point where we are now.
The left of course will not dismantle the monster that was created again because the
right would whine like they have been. Watching what the dissenting voices are doing
is laughable if it were not so sad. Really we are watching the conservative temper
tantrum acted out just like the left had one in the sixties and it will end the same way
somewhere a sane conservative will decide enough is enough and it will end hopefully.

You forgot to mention Ronald Reagan. Is that an oversight?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I didn't mention Reagan because i don't think Reagan meant his actions to be
long term truthfully he was at the beginning of a threat with a short term answer.
Yes he was on the right but his was not intention to create a long term department
of whatever forever. it did however lead to that under Bush and kept by Obama.
Once the devil is invited into the building its a bi*ch to get him to leave.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Because it's not what I meant. Don't try to put words in my mouth. You lack the wit.

Perhaps, perhaps not. In either event that's not a very nice thing to say. Be nice.

It sounds as though those that once supported the Patriot Act and boldly stated; "Your with the terrorists. If you don't like it you can leave. Why don't you move to Cuba. IT'S A CONSPIRACY THEORY" and of course " You're a Leftie" have snapped out of the brainwashing.

I've seen the local police in my hometown transformed from peace officers into a paramilitary. It's frightening.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Perhaps, perhaps not. In either event that's not a very nice thing to say. Be nice.
Why should I be nice to the boy who came on here shouting that he was looking for a fight?

I've seen the local police in my hometown transformed from peace officers into a paramilitary. It's frightening.
Are you going to entertain us with another whine about how you wish you were dead?

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Just beware the word "safety." That's the codeword for the government saying "we just going to help ourselves to a couple more of your marbles and then putting a new fence up. No biggie."