The ten commandments

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm not questioning a healthy curiosity about various cultures, ancient or new. I just never could figure out why people are stuck on a bunch of ancient texts as being the be all and end all to everything sacred.

I think the answer MAY lie (I myself know nothing for sure) in that a lot of educated, intelligent and reasoning theologians and evangelists like Billy Graham put a lot of stock in it............so while I personally am hesitant about believing a lot of it, by the same token I don't think you can dismiss ALL of it either. While I'm not particularly religious how does one reject the fact that many apparently hopeless alcoholics and druggies found the way back to a clean and productive life through it? It's hard to argue with that.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I think the answer MAY lie (I myself know nothing for sure) in that a lot of educated, intelligent and reasoning theologians and evangelists like Billy Graham put a lot of stock in it............so while I personally am hesitant about believing a lot of it, by the same token I don't think you can dismiss ALL of it either. While I'm not particularly religious how does one reject the fact that many apparently hopeless alcoholics and druggies found the way back to a clean and productive life through it? It's hard to argue with that.
A crippled person can walk with a crutch. Is that a miracle or what? (sarcasm alert).

Alcoholics and junkies that find religion are just trading one crutch for another. Personally, I wonder about people who think contributing to a society based on mindless consumerism are doing a good thing.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A crippled person can walk with a crutch. Is that a miracle or what? (sarcasm alert).

Alcoholics and junkies that find religion are just trading one crutch for another. Personally, I wonder about people who think contributing to a society based on mindless consumerism are doing a good thing.

My answer to that might be "the end justifies the means".

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario
They probably didn't even consider any change at all let alone actively think anything would change.
But, I know about contextual circumstances in time. I have a degree in cultural anthro.
Speaking of which, it tells me that any culture will gravitate toward whatever form of dress it deems most aesthetic and practical at the same time. That's not applicable every time and all the time, though; just a rule of thumb.

Exactly. It isn't that easy sometimes to put oneself in another's shoes.

Sort of. More specifically, we'd have to research their culture as it was at that time.
I know you've written a heck of a lot here, and probably my response is somewhat superficial, but I envy you your degree ... such an infinatley interesting bunch of stuff to study ....