The ten Commandments

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
It interests me to hear your position as a priest as outside of academia my exposure to RC specifics has been through "recovering catholics". I have never heard a priest's perspective so I am curious to compare your explanations to the historical record (this relates only to specifics about the rituals and traditions of the RC, not to whether or not abraham's apparition is real or not).

Recovering Catholics!? What an interesting phrase. Whatever are they recovering from? Ask me any questions and I shall try and answer as best I can.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
, but in all honesty, it never fails to amaze me how easily non-believers find it to lecture Christians on what they should and should not believe....

I would have to agree with you there....

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
sanctus,

Did you happen to catch "The Naked Archaeologist", Mount Sinai episode last night?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I would have to agree with you there....

Thank you. But it is so true! I'm not complaining, it is just my observation. It seems I run into people who tell me they either don't believe in God, the Church or the Scriptures, or all three. Following that, than they attempt to lecture me on what Jesus "really" meant in the very Gospels they've just dismissed. It truly befuddles my mind!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I know what you mean....It's happened to me a few times also.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I have a question to ask the Christians - what do you feel about the Eucharist? When you are given wine, told that it is blood, and ordered to drink it, do you feel comfortable?

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
Thank you. But it is so true! I'm not complaining, it is just my observation. It seems I run into people who tell me they either don't believe in God, the Church or the Scriptures, or all three. Following that, than they attempt to lecture me on what Jesus "really" meant in the very Gospels they've just dismissed. It truly befuddles my mind!

I am not lecturing, I am debating with you.

Recovering Catholics!? What an interesting phrase. Whatever are they recovering from? Ask me any questions and I shall try and answer as best I can.

"recovering catholics" is the term they used, as a "cute" description of their what I will call "path to enlighenment".

So please let me see your answers to the questions I have already posted.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I have a question to ask the Christians - what do you feel about the Eucharist? When you are given wine, told that it is blood, and ordered to drink it, do you feel comfortable?

Thanks for the laugh!

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
LOL Vereya it's a symbolic ritual, and no I never had a problem with drinking the wine (grape juice) or taking communion. I did however hate the part of the service where we had to hug the person sitting beside us, hello it was my freaking brother. Spew, never did like him much.:laughing7: :laughing7:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
When I used to go to church, the part I hated was shaking hands. I'm not opposed to shaking hands of people I meet, it's just that in church I can see and hear these people coughing and sneezing, and then I would have to shake their hands...of course people I meet could be doing the same, but I don't see or hear that.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Well, I do know that the Eucharist is a symbolic ritual. :)
What I wanted to ask was - what do you feel about that symbol? Drinking someone's blood - what kind of symbol is that? If a symbol is so inhuman, what is the phenomenon that underlies it?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Well, I do know that the Eucharist is a symbolic ritual. :)
What I wanted to ask was - what do you feel about that symbol? Drinking someone's blood - what kind of symbol is that? If a symbol is so inhuman, what is the phenomenon that underlies it?

It is not a symbol in our theology. It is the actual Sacrifice of the Mass, the perpetual offering of Christ on our altars and the sign of our unity-our communion- with Him and His whole Church past, present and future.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

Quite comfortable, as well as when I eat the Body. And nobody is "ordered" all who are worthy may come forward to receive, at their discretion.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I am not lecturing, I am debating with you.

"recovering catholics" is the term they used, as a "cute" description of their what I will call "path to enlighenment".

So please let me see your answers to the questions I have already posted.

There is nothing to debate, you either believe, or you do not. If you have questions, ask them directly without following them with an opinion.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
sanctus,

I am not entering into a debate on faith with you (as in does your god exist, etc). I am entering into a debate on the history of the rituals of the RC church.

So, why do you say jesus was born on dec 25? I say it was a date chosen to represent his birth because it was a pagan holiday celebrating the rebirth of the year (coming of the brighter/longer days and springtime). Why is easter on ester?

Why are there so many pagan symbols found in the RC church?

Here is a simple challenge for you, to your faith that is: Reread the bible only reading the texts that are supposedly direct quotes from the jesus character with an open mind and tell me what you see the message as.