The Seven Beatitudes of Marriage

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
The traditional Jewish wedding ceremony incorporates seven beatitudes:

"The sheva berakhot (seven blessings) are the real heart of the Jewish wedding ceremony; it is in this liturgical moment of the ceremony that themes of joy and celebration and the ongoing power of love are expressed. Taken from the pages of the Talmud (Ketubot 8a), the blessings, from one to seven, begin with the kiddush over wine and increase in intensity in their imagery and metaphors. It is no accident that there are seven of these blessings, since the number seven brings to mind the seven days of creation. Poetic echoes of creation and paradise abound in the blessings, as does the age-old yearning for return to Jerusalem. Significantly, the final blessing culminates with imagery of the entire community singing and celebrating with the bride and groom, reminding all present that the couple standing under the huppah is a link in the chain of Jewish continuity."
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/the-sheva-berakhot/#

Likewise, the message of Revelation includes seven blessings, one referencing the wedding supper of the Lamb:

'Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.' (1:3 NIV)
'Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.' (14:13 NIV)
'Blessed is the one who stays awake and remains clothed, so as not to go naked and be shamefully exposed.' (16:15 NIV)
'Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!' (19:9 NIV)
'Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.' (20:6 NIV)
'Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy written in this scroll.' (22:7 NIV)
'Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city.' (22:14 NIV)

If there is no marriage at the resurrection (Matt 22, Mark 12, Luke 20), what is the meaning of the pervasive marriage imagery inherent in Scripture?

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I was working at a job in Tucson awhile back. Home of a nice Jewish couple. We were installing a pretty fancy headboard and bed frame in their master bedroom. One of the outlets though was in he wrong place so the designer had to call an electrician to come over and relocate that. While we were waiting for him to come and do his job I couldn't help but notice the print hanging on the wall. It is called the Ketuba. A statement of commitment between A husband and his wife. A Jewish tradition. As I read the words I thought of my own marriage and how it ended and became pretty emotional to be honest. I don't remember all the words. I do remember a solemn promise to grow together and learn together and become as one. Christianity teaches that the women is to be subject to the man. But Jesus did not teach that. Jesus said that the Two shall become "one". One in purpose, and one in love. Jesus was a Jew. And as such probably would have followed the tradition of the Ketuba. That the two shall become "one". Equal in all things. With one not walking behind the other, but side by side. As one.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Well the times they are a changing been to a few weddings lately at one the only
religious thing was someone said grace before the meal. The bride wanted not
one utterance about religion. Actually been to a few that border that not as right
out against religion but close.
I am not hung up on religion myself but sometimes in my older years I do miss
a bit of the tradition. When you think about it I got rid of the church because of the
dogma and all the you have to live this way, or that way an I ain't living from some
book that is older than mold.
I don't think the problem is necessarily the problem for me I am tired of the people
who claim to represent God and some of his followers I have a problem with
I do think religion is too restrictive in peoples lives and many younger folks don't
subscribe to that way of thought,

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I was working at a job in Tucson awhile back. Home of a nice Jewish couple. We were installing a pretty fancy headboard and bed frame in their master bedroom. One of the outlets though was in he wrong place so the designer had to call an electrician to come over and relocate that. While we were waiting for him to come and do his job I couldn't help but notice the print hanging on the wall. It is called the Ketuba. A statement of commitment between A husband and his wife. A Jewish tradition. As I read the words I thought of my own marriage and how it ended and became pretty emotional to be honest. I don't remember all the words. I do remember a solemn promise to grow together and learn together and become as one. Christianity teaches that the women is to be subject to the man. But Jesus did not teach that. Jesus said that the Two shall become "one". One in purpose, and one in love. Jesus was a Jew. And as such probably would have followed the tradition of the Ketuba. That the two shall become "one". Equal in all things. With one not walking behind the other, but side by side. As one.

It teaches that, does it? Strange, I grew up in a "Christian" family. At no time did I ever see my Grandmother be "subservient" to my Grandfather, or my Mother to my Father, or my Wife to I.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
It teaches that, does it? Strange, I grew up in a "Christian" family. At no time did I ever see my Grandmother be "subservient" to my Grandfather, or my Mother to my Father, or my Wife to I.
Perhaps you should read the new testament then . Not surprising as many Christians do not read their bibles. I could lay out the scripture but it's better that you dust off your copy and read It for yourself.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Perhaps you should read the new testament then . Not surprising as many Christians do not read their bibles. I could lay out the scripture but it's better that you dust off your copy and read It for yourself.

Know what, I really don't give a fu ck what the tax collector had to say. It almost sounds to me though, that you are one of those "Christians" that are literalists, or even worse, a fu cking atheist that goes around telling Christians what they are suppose to believe.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Know what, I really don't give a fu ck what the tax collector had to say. It almost sounds to me though, that you are one of those "Christians" that are literalists, or even worse, a fu cking atheist that goes around telling Christians what they are suppose to believe.
That's a good out. Once again another Christian in denial of his own religions teachings. Good for you. You are ignorant of your own book. And get angry when called on it.

It is known as " willful Ignorance". Where humility is a thousand miles away.

Well the times they are a changing been to a few weddings lately at one the only
religious thing was someone said grace before the meal. The bride wanted not
one utterance about religion. Actually been to a few that border that not as right
out against religion but close.
I am not hung up on religion myself but sometimes in my older years I do miss
a bit of the tradition. When you think about it I got rid of the church because of the
dogma and all the you have to live this way, or that way an I ain't living from some
book that is older than mold.
I don't think the problem is necessarily the problem for me I am tired of the people
who claim to represent God and some of his followers I have a problem with
I do think religion is too restrictive in peoples lives and many younger folks don't
subscribe to that way of thought,
Honestly Grumpy. I'm not sure that Jesus was a fan of religion himself. I could be wrong though . He was a Jew .

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
That's a good out. Once again another Christian in denial of his own religions teachings. Good for you. You are ignorant of your own book. And get angry when called on it.

and you have come to that conclusion how? Please, tell me, how it is you have come to the conclusion that I don't know the Bible.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
by your reply

Really, no where do I say that I didn't read the Bible. From your reply, I see that you are one of those atheists that goes around telling Christians what they should believe.

Tell me, oh great and wise one, what is the definition of a Christian?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually Jesus had no intention of creating a religion of his own
He was a Jew and he set out to reform the Jewish Faith not as
a prophet for a new religion

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Really, no where do I say that I didn't read the Bible. From your reply, I see that you are one of those atheists that goes around telling Christians what they should believe.

Tell me, oh great and wise one, what is the definition of a Christian?
There are two actually. One is a person who is "Christ Like", the other is one who is a "follower of Christ". I'm sure you probably have your own definition. And for your information oh presumptuous one, I am not an atheist. Nor a "literalist ' as you also presume. What I am,, is a person who can see through your BS.

Actually Jesus had no intention of creating a religion of his own
He was a Jew and he set out to reform the Jewish Faith not as
a prophet for a new religion
That is a popular thought Grump. When Jesus said that the good shepherd leaves the 99 to go after that one lost sheep, he is referring to Israel. Which would indicate his desire to reform Judaism.

Steering back to the original post, I think Jewish marriage traditions are probably the most beautiful I've seen and sometimes I wish I would have been Jewish and had a marriage like I see the Jewish people have.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
There are two actually. One is a person who is "Christ Like", the other is one who is a "follower of Christ". I'm sure you probably have your own definition. And for your information oh presumptuous one, I am not an atheist. Nor a "literalist ' as you also presume. What I am,, is a person who can see through your BS.

That's partially correct, but let's go with that. Where in that definition does it say that one must follow the Bible? Show me, since you have put yourself out there as an expert in scripture, where Christ said that one needs to follow the New Testament.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Jesus was a Jew. He had no knowledge or fore knowledge of the New Testament as Pauls writings which were the first came 62 years after Christ's death. Jesus said, I only came for the lost sheep of the house of Israel. Christianity is a result of the influence of Paul. Legitimized by Constantine by the Edict of Milan in 312 AD.

If you are one of the few who concern yourself only with the letters in red, you and I have no argument.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Leave a body a mite tired after two or three days. Smell pretty bad, too.

"Look, I come like a thief! Blessed is the one who stays awake and remains clothed, so as not to go naked and be shamefully exposed.” (Revelation 16:15 NIV)

So pleased you zeroed in on this one, TB.

Referencing the sudden and unexpected appearance of the Bridegroom, the speaker (Christ) ascribes blessing to the sober and properly attired. Sobriety is hailed because the end of history will be characterized by much self-medication due to the desperate conditions. Properly dressed is celebrated because self-righteousness self-justification will be the deplorable fashion trend of the latter times.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
Christians should however, be knowledgeable of the bible. If not for anything else but to understand the wherefore and the why of their own belief and the doctrine of their religion.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Steering back to the original post, I think Jewish marriage traditions are probably the most beautiful I've seen and sometimes I wish I would have been Jewish and had a marriage like I see the Jewish people have.

Agree, LL. Jewish wedding traditions are both beautiful and meaningful. You still can experience such a wedding as there is one which precedes the wedding feast of the Lamb : )

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Motar; said:
If there is no marriage at the resurrection (Matt 22, Mark 12, Luke 20), what is the meaning of the pervasive marriage imagery inherent in Scripture?

Actually this is a very good question for those who like to discuss Christian issues.

The answer is readily found in Ephesians 5:22 et seq in that all this imagery represents Jesus as married to the Church (a church by biblical definition means a gathering of people) = just as women are commanded to be totally subservient, even going to the point where an ideal wife calls her husband "Master" and is his slave (I Peter 3:6), the followers of Jesus were required to be his slaves (I Cor 7:22). Thus, marriage is presented symbolically as voluntary slavery which is required in order to bring about salvation.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Christians should however, be knowledgeable of the bible. If not for anything else but to understand the wherefore and the why of their own belief and the doctrine of their religion.

I know the Bible, I just don't believe that it is all the word of God. Like the bullshyte about a woman taking a back seat to a man.