THE PERFECT POLITICIAN – Who Would That Be?

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
He got it because the electorate shorted out when Joe Clark was going to raise the price of gas to a full buck a gallon.

Yeah, and a bunch of us have said we want an honest politician. Didn't work that well for old Joe.

So let's see...should he/she tell all of them most of the truth some of the time, or some of them all of the truth most of the time, or....? I'm confused.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
"THE PERFECT POLITICIAN – Who Would That Be?" Someone that'd probably be dead inside a week.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
"THE PERFECT POLITICIAN – Who Would That Be?" Someone that'd probably be dead inside a week.

It's possible the really great people know that, which is why we don't see them running for office. In fact, I think some of them must be posters here as they surely seem to be a knowledgeable bunch. :cool:

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
Someone who would vote for what constituents want.. NOT what the government says they want. Unfortunately when the politician does that, they get the boot.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
It's possible the really great people know that, which is why we don't see them running for office. In fact, I think some of them must be posters here as they surely seem to be a knowledgeable bunch. :cool:
Some posters on here would be great politicians. (However, they are smart enough not to.) :-?

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Some posters on here would be great politicians. (However, they are smart enough not to.) :-?

Yeah, A Canadian politician seems to share the basic function of a Secret Service agent on Presidential detail .... A TARGET! :lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Someone who would vote for what constituents want.. NOT what the government says they want. Unfortunately when the politician does that, they get the boot.
A populist? That's exactly what Martin turned into. At the end of his shenanigans he had dropped the idea that he knew what Canadians wanted and was simply too busy desperately clinging to power and simply clung to the polls to see if there was any support in those.
I'd prefer any politician that is able to think of what would work the best for Charlie Canadian and not necessarily for rich buddies, campaign contributors, and then if it still isn't clear what the public wished, then that someone shouldn't be afraid of asking Canadians in a referendum. That would actually be applying some real democracy.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'm wondering if it's possible to come up with a list of qualities that would make the “perfect politician?”
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being dead?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
A perfect politician would say:

"I ran to be elected to give my best in one term and one term ONLY, unless I am chosen to be the Leader of my Party, in which case I will stick around for my chance to be Prime Minister.

I will NEVER run for re-election, because it will inevitably mean conflict of interest.

I will never interrupt any of my fellow representatives when they speak, with either desk-thumping, hollering, screeching, etc., because my mother taught to me that only ignorant bastards do that.

I WILL not blindly vote party lines, if my vote will not be in the interst of the people who elected me.

Let me serve you for one term. Then I will go back to be to what I am most swuited for: being an ordinary citizen."

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
A perfect politician would say:

"I ran to be elected to give my best in one term and one term ONLY, unless I am chosen to be the Leader of my Party, in which case I will stick around for my chance to be Prime Minister.

I will NEVER run for re-election, because it will inevitably mean conflict of interest.

I will never interrupt any of my fellow representatives when they speak, with either desk-thumping, hollering, screeching, etc., because my mother taught to me that only ignorant bastards do that.

I WILL not blindly vote party lines, if my vote will not be in the interst of the people who elected me.

Let me serve you for one term. Then I will go back to be to what I am most swuited for: being an ordinary citizen."

Taxslave is right I think. You are wanting a dead saint. Politics is a dirty game Jack, the nice responsible people are crushed out of it one way or the other. If you can't be bought you're no use to the political machine these days.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I'm wondering if it's possible to come up with a list of qualities that would make the “perfect politician?”
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being dead?
It worked for Turdeau, didn't it? People grumbled about him until he died, then he became a hero. Well, almost; some are still grumbling. lol