THE PARADOX OF OUR TIME.

Canadian with a hyphen

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2006
Calgary
This is a little something that i felt was very inspiring and unfortunately
true and wanted to share with you..

By George Carlin:

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spent more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more
conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom. We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our
values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor.We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've
done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.

Remember, spend some time with your loved ones,because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, "I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deepinside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak, and give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Valentine_Smith

Apr 18, 2006
Greetings to all.

I've tried to send you a PM Jimmoyer but I just keep getting told I'm supposed to declare a "subject" before I post a new topic!

Obviously I'm lost and confused...situation normal :?

I don't write well enough I think to participate in this kind of arena, and I come across as long-winded or arrogant or just rub folk the wrong way....

I enjoy passionate debate/dialogue/argument/discussion but either annoy folk because I'm toooooowordy or my presentation is simply too difficult to decipher....

I'll just lurk for a while and try to learn...

Bless all.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
You'll do fine.

We're all idiots here, if I can be so bold as to
cast aspersion on this whole lot.

By the way, I get that everytime forgetting to put
something in the subject line. Look closely just under the
OOPS message and you'll see where to put words for the
subject line.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: THE PARADOX OF OUR TI

Don't worry about annoying people that's acceptable here JimMoyer does it with every post and nobody holds it against him. It makes for good debate, if your post is to difficult for us to decipher we'll just shit on you for it, and that's half the fun of the place.

Canadian with a hyphen

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2006
Calgary
Re: RE: THE PARADOX OF OUR TI

darkbeaver said:
Don't worry about annoying people that's acceptable here JimMoyer does it with every post and nobody holds it against him. It makes for good debate, if your post is to difficult for us to decipher we'll just shit on you for it, and that's half the fun of the place.

Yeah don't worry about annoying people... DarkBeaver annoys me all the times with his posts... I ignore him and still think he is a one cute beaver :tongue:

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Man, that was just too much. :)

LOL !!!

Anyway Welcome Valentine_Smith to this merry little
hellhole where some people get really really mad
if they don't get their chocolate.

That oughta get me a well deserved spanking
hopefully.

Liberals are good people.

Conservatives are bad people.

Hedging my bets here.

Got a little worried.

Valentine_Smith

Apr 18, 2006
Hi gang!

To Jimmoyer: Seems you have to have posted over 100 times to be able to use the Private Message feature.

Maybe there's something to being long winded and repetative after all! :)

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
All bow for a moment of silence to the darkbeaver.

Perhaps the darkbeaver can see where the below
informs his dark view, a view that snares us all:

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spent more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more
conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

Valentine_Smith

Apr 18, 2006
Jus to get the count to a hundred underway….

http://www.gaiamind.com/Teilhard.html

Favorite quote: “We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.”

I’m an atheist but respect your choice to believe.

I’ve spent fifty+ years learning how much I don’t know.

Mistakes are simply mistakes. Making a mistake doesn’t mean you’re stupid and the reason why there’s an eraser on the end of a pencil is because everyone makes them and that’s absolutely normal.

“I believe in nothing Everything is Sacred: I believe in Everything nothing is sacred.”
Tom Robbins’s character the “Chink” in "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues.”

Forgiveness and compassion are the only absolute necessities in life.

I could say more but you can’t expect me to get to one-hundred right away if I let all the cats out of the bag right away….

Best response from to a an unsolicited critique: Shut UP! (From Ben Stein)

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.
Hhhmmmmm.

<< Sits down next to Rachelle :) >>>

Canadian with a hyphen

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2006
Calgary
Forgiveness and compassion are the only absolute necessities in life - 100 % true-

Valentine_ smith ... what do u think of those who make the same mistake over and over and use the exuse of there is an eraser at the end of each pencil ?

Rachelle-

Canadian with a hyphen

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2006
Calgary
zoofer said:
Hhhmmmmm.

<< Sits down next to Rachelle :) >>>

come on zoof ... I dare you (j/k)
You're actually more than welcome , seriously it will probably be the best half hour sitting of ur life :tongue:

Rachelle-

Valentine_Smith

Apr 18, 2006
I think they're probably unhappy and unaware of their own unhappiness.

To deny reality (the consequences of actions be they mistakes or otherwise) is voluntary self-delusion. Hiding in a non-reality for reasons.....{?} only that individual has decided is appropriate....is self-defeating.

Amik

Electoral Member
Mar 21, 2006
Canadian with a hyphen said:
Forgiveness and compassion are the only absolute necessities in life - 100 % true-

Valentine_ smith ... what do u think of those who make the same mistake over and over and use the exuse of there is an eraser at the end of each pencil ?

Rachelle-

Well, I think that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it, eraser or no eraser.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
That link on Pierre Teilhard de Chardin is an
interesting synopsis of some of his thoughts.

I'd like to add two addled late night thoughts to this Gaia
mind meld, afterwhich I might have a cool glass
of ice tea and turn in:

If we gave a flower self-consciouness, what horror
have we bestowed its beauty, a bloom that was once
upon a time not conscious of itself ?

Things bloom and die, and one day our Sun will
supernova out to this earth's orbit and make all
the Historical Societies a joke.

Okay consider me scrambled, if you haven't already.

Amik

Electoral Member
Mar 21, 2006
Re: RE: THE PARADOX OF OUR TIME.

jimmoyer said:
That link on Pierre Teilhard de Chardin is an
interesting synopsis of some of his thoughts.

I'd like to add two addled late night thoughts to this Gaia
mind meld, afterwhich I might have a cool glass
of ice tea and turn in:

If we gave a flower self-consciouness, what horror
have we bestowed its beauty, a bloom that was once
upon a time not conscious of itself ?

Things bloom and die, and one day our Sun will
supernova out to this earth's orbit and make all
the Historical Societies a joke.

Okay consider me scrambled, if you haven't already.

Thanks jim, it's nicer if we have your permission. :wink: