The Harrier jump jet for sale on eBay at £69,999

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Nice cut and paste job over the London Parliament.

I believe thar R Royce presented a number of aircraft builders with the Pegassus engine and asked them to build an aircraft around it.

Hawker was the one who came up with a workable design. Even so, the Harrier had a very steep learning curve for pilots learning to fly it.
Some of the working are being carried over to the F-35 if that project ever gets anywhere.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Nice cut and paste job over the London Parliament.

Some of the working are being carried over to the F-35 if that project ever gets anywhere.

When I first read about the Harrier quite a few years ago, I thought the controls were too complicated.
Like any jet fighter, the Harrier had a joy stick and a throttle, but it also had a lever to control the angle
of the thrust nozzles. The joy stick also controlled other little thrust nozzles that acted in concert with Aileron, elevator
and rudder during slow speed or hover when the conventional control surfaces were useless.
As it turned out, pilots adapted to the controls and the Harrier was a very successful aircraft.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC

A rare photo of the Royal Navy's Harrier jump jet fleet just prior to disbanding due to the present UK 's defence budget cuts, flying over the Houses of Parliament in London.

You have to squint a bit to see the message the pilots are sending to the Government.

:lol: :lol:.. the RAF always had a sense of style!!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
DUDE!!! That pic is overflowing with Jeff Foxworthy material!!!

Sorry Ron, I couldn't resist saying that!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
From what I have seen the Harriers should be updated for the Canadian Air farce. We have lots of land mass with few airports and a long coast line that is hard to patrol. Be better than what we are getting I think.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
I believe thar R Royce presented a number of aircraft builders with the Pegassus engine and asked them to build an aircraft around it.

Hawker was the one who came up with a workable design. Even so, the Harrier had a very steep learning curve for pilots learning to fly it.

That is certainly possible, and a very British way of doing things, putting the cart before the horse, as it were. It makes such poor business sense that it hardy seems that even the british would go about it that way.

When I first read about the Harrier quite a few years ago, I thought the controls were too complicated.
Like any jet fighter, the Harrier had a joy stick and a throttle, but it also had a lever to control the angle
of the thrust nozzles. The joy stick also controlled other little thrust nozzles that acted in concert with Aileron, elevator
and rudder during slow speed or hover when the conventional control surfaces were useless.
As it turned out, pilots adapted to the controls and the Harrier was a very successful aircraft.

A former co-worker and ex military flyer spent the better part of an afternoon enlightning me on his knowledge of the Harrier. According to him, the prototype had a series of toggle switches and complex controls that no one could master. It was tethered to the ground so it couldn't get too far so imminent disaster would be confined to a specific location. They put limited fuel in it so any post crash fires could be contained quickly. Once a certain test pilot was able to control the thing, they decided to untether it. He apparently lost control of it but quickly decided that it was an airplane and started to fly it likewise. Unlike a helicoper, it uses pure thrust and does not have the luxury of the translational lift provided by rotary wings; it actually has to get to flying speed before it acts like an airplane. The test pilot was able to accomplish this feat. However, once he got it flying like an airplane he realized he had about 30 seconds of fuel left, he apparrently made a successful landing. This is of course a third hand account, and the entire story took the better part of 3 hours, and that was 15 years ago, so my memory is a bit sketchy.