The Greatest

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
“Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go ten thousand miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights?

No, I am not going ten thousand miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand would put my prestige in jeopardy and could cause me to lose millions of dollars which should accrue to me as the champion.

But I have said it once and I will say it again. The real enemy of my people is right here. I will not disgrace my religion, my people or myself by becoming a tool to enslave those who are fighting for their own justice, freedom and equality…

If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn’t have to draft me, I’d join tomorrow. But I either have to obey the laws of the land or the laws of Allah. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I’ll go to jail. We’ve been in jail for four hundred years.”

Muhammad Ali explains his refusal to fight in Vietnam (1967)

I guess if you don't agree with everything your government does you're un American. .

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I guess if you don't agree with everything your government does you're un American. .

I've known a couple of people who believed in the fight and went down to the US to enlist. I can't honestly tell them that they were wrong.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Such people have nothing to do with Christianity.
Except for being its leaders.

I have nothing but respect for the soldiers who fought there, but poor folk were used as fodder. The fact that draftees could get a pass if they were in college makes it all the more disgusting.
That particular draft was pretty honest. In the Civil War, if you were drafted, you could pay another man to go in your place. Later, you could just flat-out buy your way out. If I recollect right, the bill was $300.

As for the other hate blasts, don't pay 'em no mind, RCS. They don't care about the facts, they only care about the hate.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
he was initially refused because he was a tad simple but uncle sam lowered his draft standards to snag more guys like cassius.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Sorry, but these people are in no way representative of Christians and of Christianity.
I see many who represent saulianity but no one representative of Christianity. Maybe you can name a few.

he was initially refused because he was a tad simple but uncle sam lowered his draft standards to snag more guys like cassius.
You don't know Locust

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
it has been forgotten that his denouncement of the Nation of Islam and its demand for separatism helped undermine that group's influence in the inner cities

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Plaque honouring Muhammad Ali proposed for Ossington Ave. site
By Maryam Shah, Toronto Sun
First posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 02:50 PM EDT
Councillor Mike Layton wants to install a tribute to Muhammad Ali’s time in Toronto.

Layton will ask council this week to create and install a plaque in Toronto to commemorate “The Greatest.”

Ali died last month at the age of 74 following a battle with Parkinson’s disease.

The proposed plaque and its future maintenance would cost around $6,500, according to Layton. It would be located at a site currently under development at 109 Ossington Ave. — the same place Ali trained before he famously fought Canadian heavyweight George Chuvalo in 1966.

“I think it’ll be a long time till we see someone with the same skill and the same charisma that we did in Muhammad Ali,” Layton said.

Ali also had a “significant anti-war message” during his career, he added.

He ended up fighting in Toronto that year because major American boxing centres turned him down based on his objection to the Vietnam war.

“Given Canada’s and Toronto’s historic position leaning on the side of peace over war, I think that it’s fitting that we can commemorate him in this way in Toronto,” said Layton.

The councillor said half the cost for the plaque would come from the city and the other half from the community that has raised funds through the site’s developer.

He doesn’t anticipate a fight over his motion on the council floor.

“This is the community celebrating their local heritage and it’s a fairly small sum of money,” he said.
Plaque honouring Muhammad Ali proposed for Ossington Ave. site | Toronto & GTA |

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Oh, you mean the guy that became a Muslim as soon as he was drafted? Odd, he tried to tell us that his religion forbade him fighting, does not seem to bother the other muzzies hmmmm.
He would not shoulder a rifle for his country but he would beat someones brains out in a heartbeat for money. Good on the dead azzhole.

No, no. He agreed to beat people up, just not to kill them.