The Great Canadian Parliamentary Seat Increase!

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If the Prime Minister makes more seats in Alberta and Saskatchewan than in Ontario and Quebec then he will get a majority

The newspaper quoted (Conservative) party sources as saying the province of Ontario would gain 10 seats, British Columbia seven and Alberta six because population growth is primarily surrounding cities in those provinces.

Nothing was mentioned about Saskatchewan or any other province, and that's just
fine. The under-representation is being addressed. Saskatchewan is just fine, thank you.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Québec is the most proportionately-represented province, no changes to its seat distribution are needed.

Well, closer than I thought......

Quebec has a population of 100,615 persons per riding.

The Canadian average is 107,102 persons per riding.

2006 stats.

Which means Quebec has abot 4 extra seats.......not many out of 75, especially when one considers PEI.....

Any discrepancy will be corrected by additional seats....but, I confess, Quebec is not as over-represented as I had thought.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Bloc is making it known (Question Period) that their representation in Parliament,
if this increase in seat numbers takes place, will reduce from 25% to 21% and they're
not happy about it.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The newspaper quoted (Conservative) party sources as saying the province of Ontario would gain 10 seats, British Columbia seven and Alberta six because population growth is primarily surrounding cities in those provinces.

Nothing was mentioned about Saskatchewan or any other province, and that's just
fine. The under-representation is being addressed. Saskatchewan is just fine, thank you.

YouTube - Les trois Accords - Saskatchewan

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I want a seat. Our place is almost as big as PEI. :D Oh yeah, the population thing. I forgot. Well, in that case, I think my word is just as good as Harpy's. :D

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Has the goverment instituted these new taxes yet?

The prime minister has made it clear he believes there are no good taxes. But the federal government has had its hand in a substantial tax increase that's coming to residents of Ontario and B.C.
After July 1, federal and provincial consumption taxes will be combined into one harmonized tax, or HST, in these provinces, meaning some services that previously were only taxed with GST will now be hit with PST, too.
Prices for haircuts, dry cleaning, utilities, airfares and much, much more will rise by eight per cent in Ontario and seven per cent in B.C. In Ontario, a $20,000 home renovation bill that used to cost $1,000 extra in GST will rise to $2,600 in HST after Canada Day.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/10/06/f-hst-tax-0106.html

This should make for a happy Canada Day. Taxing haircuts. Watch who you elect.

Yeah, the anti tax PM gives us BCers a new tax. Nice guy. And no mention before the election either by Campbell or Harper about the HST. And these guys were known as the tax cutters we were led to believe.

The whole point of the last 20 years was to lower taxes on business, and what do we get? A recession that could turn into a depression. I wonder what their next plan is.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Our job is to elect responsible legislators,
failure to do so leads to ever expanding beauracracy.
The fault of our disfunctional parliment rests soley on us.
Sadly we Canadians are not uo to the task.

I think I like Machco more and more every day!

GernB

GernB
Oct 21, 2009
Lethbridge AB
Some of you need to read the Constitution Act 1867, s.51. No province can lose seats in a decennial redistribution, no matter how its population may have declined relative to the national total. For instance, in an extreme example, PEI has four seats for a population of 135,000, or 1 seat per 33,750. Alberta has 28 seats for a population of 3,300,000, or 1 seat seat per 117,857. The bill would partially redress the imbalance that has grown up since the present flawed scheme was introduced in the Mulroney years. Why would should one person's vote carry more weight than another's?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Why would should one person's vote carry more weight than another's?

I don't know... you'd have to ask the whiners in the west that fell they are under reprisented and want more seats than their population calls for.

GernB

GernB
Oct 21, 2009
Lethbridge AB
I don't know... you'd have to ask the whiners in the west that fell they are under reprisented and want more seats than their population calls for.

Try again, friend...it is the maritimes and Quebce that are presently overrepresented. A calculator and the most recent census data can help you figure it out for yourself. Even after this act has passed, Ontario, BC and Alberta will still be underrepresented.

Again, read s.51 of the Constitution Act 1867 to see how represenation is heavily skewed towards provinces whose populations are not increasing, if not actually falling.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
In Alberta, there are huge discrepancies between the numbers of voters in urban and rural provincial government ridings. Pots and kettles!
Pity!
Numbers will be provided on request.

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Yeah, the anti tax PM gives us BCers a new tax. Nice guy. And no mention before the election either by Campbell or Harper about the HST. And these guys were known as the tax cutters we were led to believe.

The whole point of the last 20 years was to lower taxes on business, and what do we get? A recession that could turn into a depression. I wonder what their next plan is.
Are not both provinces recieving billions to sign on - Oh yes it is also a provincial decision to harmonize the tax - both Govts are Liberal - This is waht Iggy was denying a while back -

GernB

GernB
Oct 21, 2009
Lethbridge AB
In Alberta, there are huge discrepancies between the numbers of voters in urban and rural provincial government ridings. Pots and kettles!
Pity!
Numbers will be provided on request.

Thanks, I'm familiar with the problem. Urban voters are vastly underrepresented here and it is a major scandal in the in the two big cities. But do two wrongs make a right?
The last poster said the west wanted more seats than it was entitled to. I invited him to check it for himself. Or did you miss that part? I seem to be getting attacked in this and other threads because I am from Alberta.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Thanks, I'm familiar with the problem. Urban voters are vastly underrepresented here and it is a major scandal in the in the two big cities. But do two wrongs make a right?
The last poster said the west wanted more seats than it was entitled to. I invited him to check it for himself. Or did you miss that part? I seem to be getting attacked in this and other threads because I am from Alberta.

Nope, I am from Aether Island, Alberta.