The First World War is nothing to be proud of

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Canada became involved because it was not yet a fully independent country. It was an integral part of Great Britain back then (there was no Canadian citizenship, we were all British Subjects, and the British Parliament could override ANY AND ALL Canadian legislation). In fact, until January 1, 1947, Canada was not completely independent (no country can possibly be independent, when it does not have its own citizenship).

I always thought Canada gained complete independence in 1931 (Statute of Westminster).

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I always thought Canada gained complete independence in 1931 (Statute of Westminster).

Give it another 30 years and we'll have some brain dead "american claiming to be Canadian" stating that Canada didn't becoming independent untill after Trudeau repatriated the Constitution.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
"Canada didn't become independent; it simply switched empires."
- the IODE

Spade's Observation: Wasn't the first time!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Give it another 30 years and we'll have some brain dead "american claiming to be Canadian" stating that Canada didn't becoming independent untill after Trudeau repatriated the Constitution.

Only one who is brain dead would come up with this.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Only one who is brain dead would come up with this.

I guess I should change it from some braindead "american claiming to be Canadian" to just some braindead american. Would that make you feel included and better?