The disaster of Canadian colonialism

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
There’s an old, awful joke that – in direct proportion to its offensiveness and horrific frankness – gets to the heart of one of the fundamental hypocrisies of Canadian apartheid and the comfortable air of superiority with which we tend, from here, to observe the catastrophic racial dystopia south of the 49th:

Q: What do they call n*ggers in Canada?

A: Indians.

Like the rest of the world, Canadian and Québecois progressives watched in horror as American city-, state- and federal-level agencies fumbled in the face of the racialized catastrophe wrought by Hurricane Katrina. Petty arguments about which levels of government were or weren’t responsible for saving the lives of New Orleans’ overwhelmingly black and working class population raged on along with the storm and its effects, lending the weight of prophecy to words spoken by the protagonist of Don Delillo’s 1985 novel White Noise:

“These things happen to poor people who live in exposed areas. Society is set up in such as way that it’s the poor and the uneducated who suffer the main impact of natural and man-made disasters. People in low-lying areas get the floods, people in shanties get the hurricanes and tornados. I’m a college professor. Did you ever see a college professor rowing a boat down his street in one of those TV floods?” [White Noise, page 114]

The fundamental question for us now is this: In the face of the equally foreseeable, calamitous and racialized circumstances that led to this week’s emergency evacuation of the Kashechewan Reserve in Ontario, will we carry over our indignation at the negligence with which African-Americans are treated by their government into a justified and constructive rage over the treatment of the Cree near James Bay?

Specifically, we need to ask if the James Bay Cree on the Ontario side of the line will receive the kind of support that political parties in English Canada have cynically offered for years to the James Bay Cree in Québec as a prop against Québec independence (Anglo goodwill that largely dried up when Ted Moses signed the nation-to-nation Paix des Braves with the PQ government of Bernard Landry).

It has always been easier for Canadians to launch missives against Jim Crow America than to dissect the complex and dehumanizing machinations of Ottawa’s ‘internal’ colonialism: Neil Young, the famed troubadour from the Prairies – where the cops drag Indians to the outskirts of town in the depths of winter, leaving them to die in the ice and snow – is after all the man whom Lynyrd Skynyrd went after for “Southern Man” in the seminal (and racist) “Sweet Home Alabama.”

For decades, federal governments in Ottawa and provincial governments (both federalist and nationalist) in Québec have allowed for the water supplies of the Cree near James Bay to be rendered toxic by dam projects and the redirection of rivers. The problem of contaminated drinking water on the Kashechewan Reserve was, if anything, more easily foreseeable than the broken levees and failed infrastructures of New Orleans (if anything because the Cree have been highlighting the dangers for years). According to the Globe and Mail, Grand Chief Stan Louttit "told reporters the province should have acted years ago" on the issue of water safety on the reserve, where the "community's dirty water problem is blamed on the location of [a] treatment plant's intake pipe, which is 135 metres downstream from a sewage lagoon . . . sewage goes directly into the water filtration system" [Globe and Mail, Wednesday October 26].

To their credit, even the business-friendly Globe editorialists have taken the opportunity presented by this week’s evacuation to deplore the status of drinking water on reserves across Canada.

The question now is whether – with an eye to disaster and evacuation linked intimately with structures of racial inequality and colonialism, while provincial and federal governments bicker over whose problem it is – progressives in Canada and Québec will protest the treatment of the Cree with as much energy as we did the woeful abandonment of New Orleans’ black population.

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=102&ItemID=9006

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Sometimes I imagine two elephants and many mice. The elephants are English and French Canada fighting for language space in a foreign land, while the First Nations, the local mice, get stomped underfoot. Unfortunately, that is Canada.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I think not said:
Q: What do they call n*ggers in Canada?

A: Indians.

That maybe so, but there is another group that fell/falls into this category as well, although I'm too PC to write on this board. I'll give you a hint though, they were mostly called this by people in the west. There. That's all I'm going to say.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Complete BS

Canada spends in excess of $10,000.00 per native/first nations member. I will be the first to admit that this money is rarely spent wisely. Wisely or not, this money is spent and the simple math is that we spend $40,000.00/year on every First Nations family of four. The biggest enemy of Canada's natives are probably their leaders who should be promoting education for every native but instead, are espousing the old ways that were obsolete when the white man first got here. Right now the natives can go to university, or technical/vocational school free of charge. Those who take advantage of this are doing well.

The biggest disaster is that taxpayers pay this money, and have been paying it for years, with very few positive results, and no end in sight.

What do they call n*ggers in Canada?

As a general rule, we don't call anyone n*ggers in Canada. As any fool can see, if our natives are mistreated, it is because of incompetence, not neglect. We have people on the job, and we certainly spend the money. We need to be more goal oriented and so do the natives.[/quote]

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
We have to be careful when looking at maths though. Here in China, the government spends massive amounts o fmoney to help build and develop Tibet, Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia, etc. Many of their students also get scholarships to go to Chinese universities for free and then are sent back to develop their local communities even further.

But here's the catch. Even in their own regions, some universities teach exclusively in the Chinese language. In Urumqi, already the Majority language is Chinese, and the minority locals are ticked off about it. When I was there, I felt like I was back in Montreal; language and culture was a real ethno-political time bomb. In shanghai, I had some educated Uighur friends too. Yes, they were educated, and middle class, and with good jobs etc. And much of it was thanks to the Chinese government. Yet they were still 100% unappreciative and even ticked off! Why? Culture.

The same applies in Canada. How much money we throw at them is completely irrelevent. the real question is, ARE WE CONSULTING WITH THEM?

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
The Natives in Canada aren't kept from Canadian society in any way. There is no system which keeps them down save their own desire to live apart. Any Indians who want can live in any Canadian city, travel where they will, participate in Canadian culture (and enrich Canadian culture by sharing their heritage), they are given separate lands on which to live if they wish and have above average access to secondary education (free education?) and don't pay taxes.
They can't have it both ways, they can manage their own affairs on their lands with the financial backing of the government of Canada, or they can integrate into Canadian society. Natives indeed enjoy a favoured position in Canadian society. They recieve Canadian financial assistance, pay no taxes, have land set aside for them, have access to free education, and are free at any time to integrate into Canadian society or leave Canada altogether. They are FREE. They are masters of their own fate. It does them no good to live in a nanny state controlled by others. They need only to take advantage of their favoured status.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
ITN, it's amazing you bring us right wing views, but when you try to attack Canada, with your nit picking you use puplishers which are left of the NDP. THAT is how far you will go to nit pick Canada when the USA itself has so many glaring issues which do not need to be nit picked by the extreme left, but can be seen by anyone from left to right not needing any extrems. You amaze me sometimes ITN.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I see alot of miss conceptions and half truths in the replies here.

Lets start with the 10,000 dallors per Native. That effectively must cover, municipal sevices, food, lodging expenses, utilities, etc, so at the end of the dollar, they really isn't much going towords each Native individually.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I see alot of miss conceptions and half truths in the replies here.

Lets start with the 10,000 dallors per Native. That effectively must cover, municipal sevices, food, lodging expenses, utilities, etc, so at the end of the dollar, they really isn't much going towords each Native individually.

That figure, is the amount spent by the federal Department of Indian Affairs divided by the number of natives. Nobody said the natives actually got that money. Nor does it include monies spent by various welfare agencies in the provinces.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That figure, is the amount spent by the federal Department of Indian Affairs divided by the number of natives. Nobody said the natives actually got that money. Nor does it include monies spent by various welfare agencies in the provinces.
But that's not how you seem to spin it juan. The way it rolls off your keys, as I have seen it do several times now, is that the Natives personally reciece sums of money, that they do not.

If I am mistaken in yor intent, then I humbly apologise.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
But that's not how you seem to spin it juan. The way it rolls off your keys, as I have seen it do several times now, is that the Natives personally reciece sums of money, that they do not.

If I am mistaken in yor intent, then I humbly apologise.

That is baloney. In the past I've mentioned the Indian Affairs budget and have said exactly what I've said today. How you choose to read it is your problem.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
That maybe so, but there is another group that fell/falls into this category as well, although I'm too PC to write on this board. I'll give you a hint though, they were mostly called this by people in the west. There. That's all I'm going to say.

You must mean, and I'm going to say it,
,Torontonians.