The Conservative Agenda

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Fortunately, in the interest of a stable Thirty-ninth Parliament, I doubt Mr. Harper could possibly be that stupid (despite my multiple claims to the contrary on various other threads). :)

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: The Conservative Agenda

FiveParadox said:
Fortunately, in the interest of a stable Thirty-ninth Parliament, I doubt Mr. Harper could possibly be that stupid (despite my multiple claims to the contrary on various other threads). :)

One thing Mr. Harper is most definitely NOT is stupid.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Five, I might be going out on a limb here asking something so personal but are you a Conservative?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
FiveParadox is shocked and violated by the question.

I most certainly am not a supporter of that Godforsaken Conservative Party of Canada!

Excuse me while I regain my composure. Ahem. No, I am not; I am a supporter, and member, of the Liberal Party of Canada. The Conservatives would probably rather have me experimented on to figure out what makes my "sexual perversion" tick, than to have me a supporter, anyway.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I new that I just wanted to see what you'd say. Don't worry Five I won't let them Conservatives touch you.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

FiveParadox said:

I most certainly am not a supporter of that Godforsaken Conservative Party of Canada!

Excuse me while I regain my composure. Ahem. No, I am not; I am a supporter, and member, of the Liberal Party of Canada. The Conservatives would probably rather have me experimented on to figure out what makes my "sexual perversion" tick, than to have me a supporter, anyway.

Instead of treating [homosexuality] as a crime and driving it underground we ought to recognize it for what it is. It's a mental illness; it's a psychiatric condition which ought to be treated sympathetically, which ought to be treated by psychiatrists and social workers."
Tommy Douglas

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Tommy_Douglas

So the NDP is out for you too then?

I wouldn't let differences on what constitutes a "marriage" stop you from joining the Conservative Party, Five.

How can you ever regain composure from the deeds of the last few sittings of the Liberal Party?

Do the right thing, Five…Leave the dark side and join the rebel forces like I did.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

FiveParadox said:

All I have to do when I doubt the wisdom of electing a Conservative government is remember the Liberals.

May you live to see that party pulled from the cesspool it so willingly, and arrogantly wandered into.

Have you been reading about the activities of the LTTE in Toronto? (Tamil Tigers)

Protected and supported by the Liberal Party of Canada.

These people have murdered 35,000 in Sri Lanka.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I read an article about that yesterday, what really disturbs me is the Liberals knew funds were being sent over there to fund said murders. They could of stopped it but were worried that cracking down and stopping the funding would hurt them in the polls. Where is their conscience.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Again, Colpy, I am not a representative of the Liberal Party of Canada; I know that they screw up sometimes. That said, however, in terms of their governance, they remain my party of preference. The New Democratic Party of Canada would destroy the premise of a budget, the Bloc Québécois is only in it for Québec, and the Conservative Party of Canada sees me as something less than a full-fledged citizen of Canada. My options are clear.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

FiveParadox said:
Again, Colpy, I am not a representative of the Liberal Party of Canada; I know that they screw up sometimes. That said, however, in terms of their governance, they remain my party of preference. The New Democratic Party of Canada would destroy the premise of a budget, the Bloc Québécois is only in it for Québec, and the Conservative Party of Canada sees me as something less than a full-fledged citizen of Canada. My options are clear.

Well, I'd disagree with the last line, but it is certainly your right to have that opinion.

Aside from your sexual orientation, you're simply not a conservative on the vast majority of topics.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sorry, I hadn't seen that, Jay.

No, I have no intention of joining the Conservative Party of Canada; notwithstanding the faults of the Liberal Party of Canada, they seem to be the only party truly dedicated (by majority) to tolerance in Canada.

The moment I saw a fat Conservative standing in the House of Commons, reading scripture from the Bible in opposition to same-sex marriage, sealed their fate in my mind. I can't help but see Conservative Members of Parliament, now, as anything more than hicks. (No offense is intended to Conservative supporters; the party just tends to oppose things that are important to me {whether or not you agree on whether I should consider such things to be important}).

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
RE: The Conservative Agen

I kinda found an odd irony in that Mr.Harper decided it was safer to make PR appearances in Afghanistan than to get any face time in our country (and I'm not looking to start a flame war about how "at least he supports the troops" so leave that old saw in the shed PLEASE)
I have a funny feeling that the conservative government is going to have a ROCKY ride, even if they can't "make 8" they will be battered pretty badly, one only has to look at the "no child left behind" initiative proposed, the 1200 bucks and "make your own 'choice'" BS as it is proposed should make a lot of people of any political stripe wonder pretty damn hard

I honestly think that the party should split again along the ideological lines which were roundly ignored at the time of union, with the religious right getting their own party and the true fiscal conservatives making up the other.. it would be painful at first, but I do believe that the social agenda (hidden as of now, we'll see it more if the parliament lasts past the first week) will hobble the party seeing as the non-issues they support spending time and money on to pander to their "family values" base are just that, non-issues, but they rouse enough passion to obscure the real orders of business that the party was more traditionally associated with (and which consequently are FAR more important to citizens of this country, despite what their "beliefs" might say to the contrary)

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think that we are going to see some interesting issues crop up, as I doubt the unity of the Conservative Party of Canada continue on as strongly as it seems; the party is comprised of people of very different beliefs (think Stronach and Brison), and the direction that Mr. Harper takes this next government is going to piss off members of his party, in one way or another.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
But Tommy was considered the number one top Canadian by the latest CBC poll....surely you can't drop your support of him over a bit of misguidedness?