Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Firar's Balsam is still sold as is Cold Formula 666:

And both work!

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Sorry no disrespect meant but I sometimes have trouble with your accent. I simply thought I would compliment your piece about the fraudsters of old by emphasizing that we have not in any way won the war on quacks . In fact today I would wager that the crimes are even more widely carried on owing to insturments like this self same interweb. It's been nice, todaloo

Agzent? I dohn 'ave an agzent. Youse has an agzent?

I have tried Buckley's ~ bad smell but it does work. ;)

More miracles for you!

Does it? So far as I know there is no scientific study that shows Buckley's has much more than a placebo effect. There are a lot of chemical mixtures that can relieve cold symptoms, but so far as I know none that actually cure colds. I've taken Buckley's and found that at best its effects last only a short time; unless I drank most of the bottle. My father's cold remedy of rum and honey actually worked better and was a lot more fun to take. I once experimented with brandy as a cold cure and found it highly satisfactory; or at least as much as I could remember of it.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005

Well, at least some tried to be pure ^.

-------------------------

As for Buckley's I understand there have been reports of kids using it for recreational purposes. This on top of other over the counter medicines. But I have not heard that it has only placebo effects before.

-----------------------

My old man used to take a snort of coal oil for the flu, but I never had the nerve to try it.

Coal oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've heard of it used as a rub for severe chest colds but not as inhalant. Actually, that sounds kinda spooky.

But this is very good as chest rub:

This despite the fact that is was originally horse medicine!

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8OCastor oil was given (forced down one's throat) for colds and flu. All it was was a laxative, and how that helped cure a cold I still don't know..................purgative??

We were also subjected to "mustard plasters", which, if they didn't peel the skin from your body and cause 3rd degree burns, did loosen chest congestion.

Nothing like the good'ldaze to help one appreciate modern science.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Did you ever try Friars Balsam?

Can't say that I have.

I have tried Buckley's ~ bad smell but it does work. ;)

Usually when you have a cold you're so stuffed up that the smell doesn't hit you. But the taste, yuk! Bottled snot is what I've heard it called, face it, if you're taking that you're desperate!

Does it? So far as I know there is no scientific study that shows Buckley's has much more than a placebo effect. There are a lot of chemical mixtures that can relieve cold symptoms, but so far as I know none that actually cure colds. I've taken Buckley's and found that at best its effects last only a short time; unless I drank most of the bottle. My father's cold remedy of rum and honey actually worked better and was a lot more fun to take. I once experimented with brandy as a cold cure and found it highly satisfactory; or at least as much as I could remember of it.

It's the sleep/rest that cures the cold, lol. The brandy helps with that.

As for Buckley's I understand there have been reports of kids using it for recreational purposes.
What kind of masochistic kids are these?;)

This on top of other over the counter medicines. But I have not heard that it has only placebo effects before.
Most OTC cough medicines are mostly psychological placebos, they don't do what they say they do. Mostly sugar and if you pick the right one, something that'll knock you out for the night. A shot of rum will often have the same effect.;)

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher
As for Buckley's I understand there have been reports of kids using it for recreational purposes.
What kind of masochistic kids are these?:wink:

Sadly, this has been abused by some kids because when it is mixed with alcohol or other medicines it can produce hallucinogenic responses. That's too dangerous in my book.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That must be from some of the new buckleys formulations, because the original really only had pine needle oil and menthol in it didn't it? And, no, it's not a cure for the cold, it never claimed to be, but it is one hell of a decongestant. Once you take it, as soon as you can breathe again from the shock of the taste, everything lets go. Lol.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That must be from some of the new buckleys formulations, because the original really only had pine needle oil and menthol in it didn't it? And, no, it's not a cure for the cold, it never claimed to be, but it is one hell of a decongestant. Once you take it, as soon as you can breathe again from the shock of the taste, everything lets go. Lol.

Exactly! It scares the cold out of you, lol.