The Beast of Trowbridge is captured on camera

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Looks like it's grazing more than hunting.
yeah it hasn't bothered anyone or attacked anyone, or even hurt a pet...freaking man, we have to dominate and kill everything in our path... decimate it, prove our power...we are pathetic

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Just a bigger Scottish Wildcat, BL....

It's the wrong colour and wrong size to be a Scottish wildcat. I don't think Scottish wildcats get so big. The Scottish wildcat looks very similar to, and about the same size as, a domestic cat.

The Scottish wildcat is also Britain's most endangered mammal, so the chances of seeing one are slight. They also probably don't venture as far south as Wiltshire.

Big cat sighting are very common in Britain. I think there are big cats living wild here.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Two things. I downloaded the image. It is at very low resolution - 17 dpi. Two, you have to look closely at the highlights. There is much more there than just black. Most of the ear and back are white edges and it gets lost in the grass surrounding it. Would be nice to have a higher resolution picture.

But alas, the picture was not taken in England but in the US in 2007.
Beast of Trowbridge: Big cat picture exposed as FAKE from 2007 - Mirror Online

Non the less, it is a panther.

Definitely a panther and good work, Cliffy.

yeah it hasn't bothered anyone or attacked anyone, or even hurt a pet...freaking man, we have to dominate and kill everything in our path... decimate it, prove our power...we are pathetic

Plus.............it ain't there.

Cuse me, I gotta go out and decimate something. Maybe kill a sparrow. Ooooooh them sparrows, just piss me off.............tweet tweet.........all the goddam time with the tweet tweet.:lol:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It's the wrong colour and wrong size to be a Scottish wildcat. I don't think Scottish wildcats get so big. The Scottish wildcat looks very similar to, and about the same size as, a domestic cat.

The Scottish wildcat is also Britain's most endangered mammal, so the chances of seeing one are slight. They also probably don't venture as far south as Wiltshire.

Big cat sighting are very common in Britain. I think there are big cats living wild here.
why, it's such a small island?

Plus.............it ain't there.

Cuse me, I gotta go out and decimate something. Maybe kill a sparrow. Ooooooh them sparrows, just piss me off.............tweet tweet.........all the goddam time with the tweet tweet.:lol:
LOL
Do you think Skippy there (the one with the gun and the warning signs posted all over his place) the great white hunter...do you think he made it all up? Or maybe the town has set him up to look stupid all posed with his gun?

Soooooooooo Sparrow Slayer, how many sparrows do you gots on your estate? Should we all shiny pony up and help you to hunt them down then do drinks in the club house? Could that happen or would we all kill each other first? I say old chap, it could be a new mystery board game. The CC Sparrow Slay and Murder Mystery.

What say you?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Two things. I downloaded the image. It is at very low resolution - 17 dpi. Two, you have to look closely at the highlights. There is much more there than just black. Most of the ear and back are white edges and it gets lost in the grass surrounding it. Would be nice to have a higher resolution picture.

But alas, the picture was not taken in England but in the US in 2007.
Beast of Trowbridge: Big cat picture exposed as FAKE from 2007 - Mirror Online

Non the less, it is a panther.

Thanks Cliff

I went to the website you provided then on to the embedded website of the OPs photo taken in Michigan. It still isn't clear IMO. The ears do not look like a panther at all. They are too big.

A couple were left shocked when they saw this massive, puma-like creature on their early morning walk - and believe it may have been the infamous 'Beast of Trowbridge'.

Herbert and Doreen Smith saw the unusual animal while walking in Murhill Woods, in Trowbridge, Wiltshire last week.

Mr Smith, 71, said they observed the animal catching and then eating some prey.

Cat-ch me if you can: Herbert and Doreen Smith spotted this large feline in Trowbridge, Wiltshire

As Cliffy found out...

TAKEN IN MICHIGAN in 2007!

All you have there are feral cats BL.

Keep Searching but if you want to see some real panthers and mountain lions come to Canada or the US.

We have them... you don't.

FAIL

Bigfoot sightings are common in the US and Canada too.

Face it... you have kitty cats on the Briddish isles.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

LOL
Do you think Skippy there (the one with the gun and the warning signs posted all over his place) the great white hunter...do you think he made it all up? Or maybe the town has set him up to look stupid all posed with his gun?

Soooooooooo Sparrow Slayer, how many sparrows do you gots on your estate? Should we all shiny pony up and help you to hunt them down then do drinks in the club house? Could that happen or would we all kill each other first? I say old chap, it could be a new mystery board game. The CC Sparrow Slay and Murder Mystery.

What say you?

On the estate proper, bout 20 thousand. Back in the servants quarters - none. Well, they have to eat something.

Actually we bought a bird feeder which is enclosed by a mesh ball, just big enough openings to let in chickadees, sparrows, goldfinches, nuthatches and the like - Bigger birds are on their own.

Previous feeders were monopolized by blackbirds, jays, and the like

Feel bad bout the jays and the cardinals, but hey, can't have it all. Cardinals are platform feeders. Unfortunately so are a bunch of other bully birds which drove them off anyway...................what ken ya do!!

AND with the platform feeders, came feral cats............many of them. They are now "gone"-------some of them to that big cat house in the sky.

Drinks in the club house (my shop) but "the guests" have to clean it up first - . Good freakin luck with that.

Oh yah, and BYOB. and some for me.

Yep, sounds good, Sal.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
On the estate proper, bout 20 thousand. Back in the servants quarters - none. Well, they have to eat something.

Actually we bought a bird feeder which is enclosed by a mesh ball, just big enough openings to let in chickadees, sparrows, goldfinches, nuthatches and the like - Bigger birds are on their own.

Previous feeders were monopolized by blackbirds, jays, and the like

Feel bad bout the jays and the cardinals, but hey, can't have it all. Cardinals are platform feeders. Unfortunately so are a bunch of other bully birds which drove them off anyway...................what ken ya do!!

AND with the platform feeders, came feral cats............many of them. They are now "gone"-------some of them to that big cat house in the sky.

Drinks in the club house (my shop) but "the guests" have to clean it up first - . Good freakin luck with that.

Oh yah, and BYOB. and some for me.

Yep, sounds good, Sal.
not exactly what I had in mind but I'll check the calendar, unfortunately it looks like I'm booked for months, but ya never know...

we had a lot of cardinals and jays around here...then a hawk moved in and poof they were gone, on the other hand we were having mouse and bat problems those have vanished too... the hawk is very cool and sometimes last summer there would be a turkey vulture or something that hangs with hawks, that thing is the largest thing I have ever seen on wings...my god it was so big that the first time it flew past my window I thought I was halucinating and you could hear it's wings flap

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
A couple were left shocked when they saw this massive, puma-like creature on their early morning walk - and believe it may have been the infamous 'Beast of Trowbridge'.

Herbert and Doreen Smith saw the unusual animal while walking in Murhill Woods, in Trowbridge, Wiltshire last week.

Mr Smith, 71, said they observed the animal catching and then eating some prey.

Cat-ch me if you can: Herbert and Doreen Smith spotted this large feline in Trowbridge, Wiltshire

Brush with the beast: The couple were just feet away from what they believe could be the Beast of Trowbridge, a puma or panther spotted for years in the area
Good pic.
Uhuh. Unless you are toting around a rangefinder and other gear, things out in fields are larger than they really are so your guess as to size is just that, a guess. My dad was going to shoot one of wifey's uncle's cats one time out in the field because he thought it was a lynx. It was one of uncle's barn cats. That cat needs to be seen next to a fence of known proportions.n The color of it may have just been a recessive genetic trait. BTW, there is no scientific designation as "panther".
But then again, maybe it's an escapee from a circus, the offspring of one, someone's escaped pet, etc. Unlikely to be a jaguar. Things have temperaments like badgers and are quite a bit smarter. Too many variables to make even a good guess.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
not exactly what I had in mind but I'll check the calendar, unfortunately it looks like I'm booked for months, but ya never know...

we had a lot of cardinals and jays around here...then a hawk moved in and poof they were gone, on the other hand we were having mouse and bat problems those have vanished too... the hawk is very cool and sometimes last summer there would be a turkey vulture or something that hangs with hawks, that thing is the largest thing I have ever seen on wings...my god it was so big that the first time it flew past my window I thought I was halucinating and you could hear it's wings flap
Around here we have turkey vulture, bald eagles and golden eagles. The golden eagles have a wingspan up to 7'-8". Turkey vulture has a span of up to 6'. Balds are only slightly smaller than golds but their wings are much narrower. I called one to me last year right on the main street of town. It came within 20 feet of me before turning a sharp right and I got a full on view of its under carriage with the sun to his back. The gold on him just lit up. I stopped breathing for a few seconds, then let out a loud but strange guttural sound that even startled me, along with several other people on the street that didn't even see him. It was one of those intense moments that make life worth living..

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Around here we have turkey vulture, bald eagles and golden eagles. The golden eagles have a wingspan up to 7'-8". Turkey vulture has a span of up to 6'. Balds are only slightly smaller than golds but their wings are much narrower. I called one to me last year right on the main street of town. It came within 20 feet of me before turning a sharp right and I got a full on view of its under carriage with the sun to his back. The gold on him just lit up. I stopped breathing for a few seconds, then let out a loud but strange guttural sound that even startled me, along with several other people on the street that didn't even see him. It was one of those intense moments that make life worth living..
I have never been that close to a wild bird that's terrific. It's strange our feeling toward them. Everyone in our building speaks of the hawk like it ours...everyone watches her and speaks of her.

When the hawk first moved in, it would make me crazy with her call to the fledglings... she would make small circles and call to them. At first I thought she was injured which made me frantic because the cries continued on for so long. But as the days go on, she moves further and further out and calls and calls, usually late afternoon and they go to her. It is beautiful. By year two you know what to expect.She has been here a few years now. She is not that big, compared to the turkey vulture which frightened the life out of me at first. They are freaking huge and I am on the eighth floor and it was soooooooooooo close and really fast.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Britain is a large island. It's the largest island in Europe and the eighth largest in the world.

I don't know what the size of the island has to do with it, though.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
more on bringing back the British lynx:
Eurasian lynx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a great idea, BL could start a new topic daily...

...........................(face palm)

Britain is a large island. It's the largest island in Europe and the eighth largest in the world.

Most women will tell you that size DOES matter

Why are the Briddish are such cowurdly types?

Dunno bout your statement, but most of them could probably spell cowardly.

The Brits I've known would have your back in a pub. No worries bout cowards there, mate. But you're just trolling, ain't ya.

The sheep farmers will love the "movement" for the bears, lynx, and wolves....................not

http://paid.outbrain.com/network/re...e&scp=false&fcapElementId=12621&origSrc=41840

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

I guess because I never view Britian as having extensive wilderness like Canada does. You can drive from one end of Britain to the other in less than 24 hours. To me that is small. Therefore how could a huge beast stay hidden and support it's food habits? That was my only point.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Regardless of what the very, very few women you've gotten close to in your life said, size does matter.

As to Britain, as I've said before, it was once very, very impressive indeed. Now it's old, toothless, senile, and utterly dependent upon its progeny.

Kinda like you.