The American Dream Does Not Include Vacations

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Choosing not to accept your annual vacation is one thing; being denied one altogether is quite different. The article merely points out that Americans and Canadians lag behind the rest of the world in terms of vacation days. The fact that you do not enjoy the usual vacation activities is quite irrelevant.

Indeed... Australia has a lot more going for the employee when it comes to vacation time, sick days, etc.

Hell, here in Victoria everybody has a day off to watch horse racing..... not that I could be bothered to, but having the day off is nice. :p

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
We have stress leave here,funny it's not used more as there's no questions asked and you can golf all summer if that's what takes away your stress.
I think it's Canada wide,EI pays half and the employer pays the other half up to a certain % of your wages.

Surprised not more peeps have been going for this one,paid vacation for 2 years.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Indeed... Australia has a lot more going for the employee when it comes to vacation time, sick days, etc.

Hell, here in Victoria everybody has a day off to watch horse racing..... not that I could be bothered to, but having the day off is nice. :p

Ah yes. The Melbourne Cup. All of Oz comes to a standstill for five minutes. As for vacation time, I always thought Australia had a much more civilized attitude toward allowing employees time off.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I realize that you live in Cloud La La Land where everyone is so well paid they can take time off anytime and say to hell with the money they might have earned by staying on the job. But sadly that is not the case for the millions of Americans and Canadians who are part of what is called the working poor. For these people giving up a day's pay means going without.

The point (which as usual you have missed by a league) is that the so called American Dream doesn't really stack up very well if it means that you have to spend most of your life working your backside off. However, I am eagerly awaiting your explanation as to why the wealthiest nation on earth treats its citizens so poorly.

BTW just in case you need a geography lesson, North America consists of over 20 sovereign nations and excluding Canada, at least one of them (Costa Rica) guarantees more days of paid vacation than the USA.

Holy cow... You just bend over backwards to find any reason to piss and moan about life don't you?

I really don't know what to say other than I guess that you have some difficult decision ahead of you.

BTW - I like the Costa Rica reference. Take a look at the country stats and you'll notice that the avg wage is about 1/7 of that of the US and the cost of public healthcare via premiums is $30-50 per month or roughly 1/15 of wages.... Pretty enticing lifestyle, ain't it?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
BTW just in case you need a geography lesson, North America consists of over 20 sovereign nations and excluding Canada, at least one of them (Costa Rica) guarantees more days of paid vacation than the USA.

Which brings up another question which one wouldn't ask in public for fear of being killed. (Also I've enjoyed more than my share of paid vacations) But to get back to basics, should one really be paid anything for not working? Where does the money for that pay come from? When one person gets a freeby, obviously another person is being screwed. Ya can't suck and blow at the same time!

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
In Canada, generally speaking, you start off with 2 weeks paid vacation a year and then after 5 it goes to 3 and after 10 it goes to 4 - something like that. There may be exceptions. If you job jump, then it's unlikely you'll ever get past the 2 week mark. Unfortunately, Europe is in financial trouble because it's so generous with their "vacation" times as well as other benefits. So are the Greeks et al. It's all well and good to have so much time off but then what happens to productivity?

I dunno, I'm thinking there needs to be something that's a bit of both so that it's fair to both employees and employers and it doesn't affect the bottom line too much. I know if my employer were to grant more generous leave, he'd have to cut back on employees leaving whomever was left that much more work to do. He'd need to do it simply to make a go of things.

I use all my vacation time throughout the year simply to rejuvinate myself. Sometimes we go someplace, and others we stick close to home. It's just the "getting away" part that I need.

JMO

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
BTW - I like the Costa Rica reference. Take a look at the country stats and you'll notice that the avg wage is about 1/7 of that of the US and the cost of public healthcare via premiums is $30-50 per month or roughly 1/15 of wages.... Pretty enticing lifestyle, ain't it?
Wage level means nothing. Cost of living needs to be factored in with wages. When I left Montreal in 72, I was making $2 hr as a drafting supervisor. When I got to BC, I was making $4.75 hr sweeping floors in a plywood mill. I had more buying power in Montreal.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Wage level means nothing. Cost of living needs to be factored in with wages. When I left Montreal in 72, I was making $2 hr as a drafting supervisor. When I got to BC, I was making $4.75 hr sweeping floors in a plywood mill. I had more buying power in Montreal.

I completely agree and by in large, comparing the practices between nations, while an interesting comparison, is automatically apples and oranges.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I find vacations stressful. Laying around doing nothing drives me nuts when I think of all the projects that are not being done.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That's some vacation, eh?

Makes you wonder if you'd be better-off spending that vacation pay on a contractor and remaining at work.... It'd be a lot more relaxing

Not so much the at work projects, rather the ones at home which would be a much better use of both time and money. Most of them are things I like doing anyway.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Just because a few people abuse the system is no reason to punish everyone. Better would be to punish just the abusers.

A few? Welfare fraud in Massachusetts is in the tens of millions. But the people who live free and full lives, vacationing in Hawaii basically say...

"Hey... I didn't create the system... this is all legal."

They're right. The Governor said on the radio that "If a woman needs a to get a manicure before a job interview they should be able to use the EBT card."

Yeah right Gov. The thousands of dollars spent at beauty salons and spas last year were all people trying to get off welfare.

Our poor live better than the wealthy and middle class of most countries. They get free everything. Even trips to the beauty salons and tattoos.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Oh, you figure there is a vacation in there!

I misread the title. I thought the thread was about vaccinations. sorry about that. :lol:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Holy cow... You just bend over backwards to find any reason to piss and moan about life don't you?

I really don't know what to say other than I guess that you have some difficult decision ahead of you.

Do I have to hold your hand in order to get you to understand basic English? The whole point of the Costa Rica reference was that it is a developing country. The fact that it actually grants its workers longer vacations than the supposedly more developed USA is the entire point of the comparison., but once again you missed the point. Yes, Costa Rica has a much lower standard of living than the US, but still treats its workers better in one basic quality of life category. Thanks very much for helping me prove it though.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Do I have to hold your hand in order to get you to understand basic English? The whole point of the Costa Rica reference was that it is a developing country. The fact that it actually grants its workers longer vacations than the supposedly more developed USA is the entire point of the comparison., but once again you missed the point. Yes, Costa Rica has a much lower standard of living than the US, but still treats its workers better in one basic quality of life category. Thanks very much for helping me prove it though.
That's why Costa Rica has the illegal immigrant problem; all those millions of wet-backs clambering to get into the country. You're daft.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Do I have to hold your hand in order to get you to understand basic English?

It's not your English that's the problem, it's your heavily faulted logic that confounds the issues so greatly.

The whole point of the Costa Rica reference was that it is a developing country. The fact that it actually grants its workers longer vacations than the supposedly more developed USA is the entire point of the comparison.

I suppose that the Costa Rican gvt could also offer free oil changes to everyone that owns a Ferrari too, although it won't do any good to the average person.

Yes, Costa Rica has a much lower standard of living than the US, but still treats its workers better in one basic quality of life category.

Too funny... I wonder how many 'average' Costa Ricans (in this developing nation and all) can actually afford to take the time off and travel or do nothing as opposed to use the time to augment their income elsewhere.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Too funny... I wonder how many 'average' Costa Ricans (in this developing nation and all) can actually afford to take the time off and travel or do nothing as opposed to use the time to augment their income elsewhere.
So, the measure of success is that places like Canada and the US have more people who have more money to piss away on frivolities? But Costa Ricans turn up to vote with close to a 100% turn out. Perhaps they have more interest and confidence in their democracy than Canada or the US.

Quality of life does not depend on the size of your disposable income. That sort of reasoning smacks of a dick measuring contest.