The 36 Obama-Funded Green Energy Failures…

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Sorry to disappoint you, but with proper storage, wind and solar will not only be competive, but will be cheaper than oil and coal without the deleterious environmental effects. Transportation of power is a snap. The electrical grid already exists. It's those large toweres carrying wires in case you missed it.

Dig around all you want. I would welcome an intelligent reply from you that actually contains proof. But as I said before I don't expect one. True to form you are great at blowing smoke, but when it comes to hard facts you don't have any.

I made a reference to liguid metal batteries in my original post. Did you even check to see what they are? I am guessing that as usual you didn't. After all, why would you want to confuse your neo-Luddite views with facts. Here is are a couple of links just in case you are interested. Interestingly the first article uses the words "science fiction" to describe this breakthrough. Who would have guessed?

Giant liquid metal batteries could make renewable energy sources more viable | The Verge
TR10: Liquid Battery - MIT Technology Review

I read it. Doesn't sound like it will be commercially available anytime soon. So should we just shut the generators off and wait? And keep subsidizing those windmills with petro dollars until some one makes a battery that will work? Oh wait we can't do oil anymore because the idle rich have deemed it non PC. Too bad now there is no tax money left to subsidize your expensive green power.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Didn't realize that Obama had the power or money to personally fund large green projects. Or is it a matter of the the Government of the u.s. which is made up of more than just Obama as president but is also made up of the senate (both republicans and democrats) and the house (again both republicans and democrats) ok'd the funding for these projects.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I read it. Doesn't sound like it will be commercially available anytime soon. So should we just shut the generators off and wait? And keep subsidizing those windmills with petro dollars until some one makes a battery that will work? Oh wait we can't do oil anymore because the idle rich have deemed it non PC. Too bad now there is no tax money left to subsidize your expensive green power.

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, waiting for perfection is impossible. There are no major technological developments I know of that did not come without a considerabel amount of trial and error. I challenged CM to come up with an example of a major technological development that was not aided in some way by government. He has yet to reply. Can you help the poor fellow out?

Correction - Those aren't 'supposed' witticisms; they are the real McCoy.

... But on a more practical note: Exactly what kind of response are you expecting when you are basing your argument on potential what-ifs at some undisclosed point in the future?

That said, it would appear that you are the one that is wasting your time.

Oh, I see... So it A-OK to backstop one set of toxins as long as they are in a novel format.

Liquid, molten salt with some antimony and magnesium for a little extra spice.

Say, I wonder what would be the consequences if the battery walls were breached?... I attached an MSDS sheet for your convenience on the toxicity for antimony.

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927438

Suffice to say, there are a lot of blanks still open on the carcinogenic nature of the substance, but it does suggest that "The substance is toxic to blood, kidneys, lungs, the nervous system, liver, mucous membranes. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage."

Sounds fun, eh?...

Yawn.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
As I pointed out earlier in this thread, waiting for perfection is impossible. There are no major technological developments I know of that did not come without a considerabel amount of trial and error. I challenged CM to come up with an example of a major technological development that was not aided in some way by government. He has yet to reply. Can you help the poor fellow out?

Waiting for perfection? That's your backstop on this?

Here's the 411 for ya in case you didn't get the memo: The tech isn't practically functional at this point.. Get it? No one has embraced this tech to date that is willing to spend their own money on it as a consumer - most likely, yourself included.

As expected. As indicated earlier, you never fail to disappoint

I suppose that you feel it's better to have these 'massive batteries' in and around communities on a trial basis and in the event that one explodes, well, a little bit of molten-salt raining down on a school yard full of kids is a small price to pay.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
When you are on the cutting edge of new technology there are bound to be failures
and success stories. At least something productive for human kind was being attempted.
The largest failure for the Republicans came about in the derivative markets where we
are not out of the woods yet. The last estimate I saw was a Quadrillion dollars if they all
came due in a financial collapse.
Remember people were critical of stepping in to stave off a depression and if that happened
the derivatives would have come due a quadrillion would make all this look like a day at
Disney World.
All this is more right wing hype they are now throwing verbal jello at the wall in hopes of having
something stick

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
When you are on the cutting edge of new technology there are bound to be failures
and success stories. At least something productive for human kind was being attempted.
The largest failure for the Republicans came about in the derivative markets where we
are not out of the woods yet. The last estimate I saw was a Quadrillion dollars if they all
came due in a financial collapse.
Remember people were critical of stepping in to stave off a depression and if that happened
the derivatives would have come due a quadrillion would make all this look like a day at
Disney World.
All this is more right wing hype they are now throwing verbal jello at the wall in hopes of having
something stick

Both wind and solar have been around for may years and had plenty of time to advance. This is not a technology that was 'discovered' only when Suzuki and Gore started to get a band wagon together.

Facts are that coal is the most abundant (and useable) energy source available with oil and nuclear not far behind. If you or society maintain such a strong distaste for their use, then get off the grid and employ alternate means. When enough people (which it seems every green tech supporter assures me of) do likewise, the resource-based sources will quickly be dropped.

BTW - what the hell do the derivatives markets have to do wit any of this?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Waiting for perfection? That's your backstop on this?

Here's the 411 for ya in case you didn't get the memo: The tech isn't practically functional at this point.. Get it? No one has embraced this tech to date that is willing to spend their own money on it as a consumer - most likely, yourself included.

As expected. As indicated earlier, you never fail to disappoint

I suppose that you feel it's better to have these 'massive batteries' in and around communities on a trial basis and in the event that one explodes, well, a little bit of molten-salt raining down on a school yard full of kids is a small price to pay.

Just waitng fror you to add something worth replying to. It hasn't happened yet and I don't expect that to change. Until you do, I really can't be bothered to take the keyboard time to reply.