The 100-Mile Diet.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Then you are limiting your choices. I always thought a good diet included as many foods as possible as all foods have slightly different attributes.

Maybe you should read the book. Nobody said it was without challenges.

In fact, by the very definition, changing your diet or going on a diet, is to limit choices...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Maybe you should read the book. Nobody said it was without challenges.

In fact, by the very definition, changing your diet or going on a diet, is to limit choices...

Actually I did read an article in Readers Digest about that very subject, awhile back, like everything else there are pros and cons. Would you eliminate something from your diet because you had to go 105 miles to get it?

JLM, can you name one single period in history, of more than two minutes when to these people common sense trumped being politically correct?

Nope being popular is more important than being correct.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You're mistaken. The 100 mile diet is one small part of a much larger movement. Google "locavore".

Supporting local agriculture and other food producers is unrealistic?

Perhaps someone needs to actually get out from behind their computer screen and meet some of these people before they start pontificating wildly. Just a suggestion. There are many thriving farm markets across the country, and they wouldn't exist without customers.

Perhaps you should get out of your chair and view the country. The areas I am talking about have NO local farms to support because nothing will grow in the rain. Except trees. And yes there are lots of customers. How about city people start building their mcmansions only with products grown within 100 miles? Don't forget to make your own electricity and fuel for your SUV at the same time. COme to think of it where does your car come from? And your computer. The whole locavore only works in yuppie land. The rest of us are traders. We trade what we have like wood for things we want but can't make or grow locally like food. That is how international commerce works.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Then you are limiting your choices. I always thought a good diet included as many foods as possible as all foods have slightly different attributes.

Well, fukin dah.

Are you a poster boy for 'unclear on the concept'?

The whole point is that we should rethink the idea that flying produce around the world every day on 747s is a good idea. There are perfectly healthy alternatives to having fresh strawberries in Toronto in January.

That's the whole point, fer chrissakes.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, fukin dah.

Are you a poster boy for 'unclear on the concept'?

The whole point is that we should rethink the idea that flying produce around the world every day on 747s is a good idea. There are perfectly healthy alternatives to having fresh strawberries in Toronto in January.

That's the whole point, fer chrissakes.

Idiot

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If one uses a little common sense, the point is to do this in season.
In addition when buying oranges and other products, find out where
they came from and how they got here. I think more people should
be interested in the growing conditions of the food they eat, from
where ever it came. you may or may not be aware. that the food
safety rules that are enforced and required in Canada, are not subject
to the same standard for food imported into Canada. For example,
the food safety rules Canadian farmers must follow, and the inspections
they pay for, are not the same as imported food at all.
The reason is not just to support local farmers. The reason we want to
try our best to eat Canadian is because of food safety standards, and
the environmental impact. organic, which is just a label in many cases,
trucked from God knows where is more harmful to the environment
that locally or regionally grown product. When looking for labels, the
term organic means nothing unless it is certified organic.
There is a book those who prefer organic should read. It is called
Is It Organic, by Mischa Popoff. He is or was an organic inspector
and he knows his stuff.
As for the 1000 mile diet, it is only a guide, it is not something cast in
stone. If you are paying for food, its best to know what you are eating
and where it came from. Remember your government is not there to
protect you when it comes to food.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Would you eliminate something from your diet because you had to go 105 miles to get it?

No...I think that's far too rigid. 100 miles happens to be a decent distance for what most would consider local.

Perhaps you should get out of your chair and view the country.

I have. From coast to coast.

The areas I am talking about have NO local farms to support because nothing will grow in the rain.

Well great...nobody is trying to force you to eat trees...and as has been said already a few times in this thread by multiple posters, it won't work everywhere.

The whole locavore only works in yuppie land.

Ahh, that's brilliant logic. You give me one example, of a coastal rain forest where there is little agriculture, and decide that eating local only works in yuppie land?

That's nonsense. There are farmers markets around this country open year round. Supporting local business owners doesn't make one a yuppie, except in your twisted logic...