Thanks again Mr. Harper...........................

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Is it actually aiding the wealthiest families or is it just returning their own money? Perhaps there should be a limit on how much one family should have to subsidize the gov't. I'm definitely in favour of the old concept of user pays, but should they pay for more than they use just because they are wealthy? Of course the poorest families aren't going to benefit as much as the rich as many of them don't pay much income tax in the first place.

The merits of a progressive tax system are a whole discussion to themselves.

The simple fact is that an income splitting plan does benefit people with higher incomes more.

Sure the government doesn't get the revenue but since no particular department is "operating a program", stuff like this gets overlooked when it comes time to cut. I'm sure I've posted a video here on this matter. There is something like 100 billion dollars in tax credits handed out every year and nobody is checking to see if the goals of these credits are being met (if they even have goals attached to them). If, instead of a tax credit, they offered assistance to those seniors that needed it, we could at least target money where it was needed. I spoke out against the firefighter tax credit for much the same reason. I wasn't too popular amongst some firefighters but some people can't see past their own wants and needs.

They definitely cannot overlook tax cuts when crafting the budget. They have to account for the lost revenue and they have to cut that lost revenue from the budget somewhere.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Income splitting aids wealthiest families most, says study

"This is guaranteed to provide the wealthiest families with the biggest benefit and the poorest families with the least benefit, "said Macdonald in a phone interview. "One in 10 of the top 10 per cent of families are going to get a $5,000 cheque."

Macdonald, who says his study used the most recent Statistics Canada tax-modelling software, concluded that income splitting benefits sole-earner families the most.

Lower-income families, however, cannot afford to have one partner drop out of the workplace in order to take advantage of income-splitting. "The people who can most take advantage of these programs are the people who least need support in the first place," he said.

Income splitting aids wealthiest families most, says study

So you think the rich should have to pay more taxes than the poor? Ever hear of equality?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I spoke out against the firefighter tax credit for much the same reason. I wasn't too popular amongst some firefighters but some people can't see past their own wants and needs.
You spoke out against it....................

Do you ore do you not put a check mark in the volunteer firefighter box.......and try not to bullshyte......

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

The simple fact is that an income splitting plan does benefit people with higher incomes more.

They definitely cannot overlook tax cuts when crafting the budget. They have to account for the lost revenue and they have to cut that lost revenue from the budget somewhere.

Perhaps the argument hinges on the definition of benefitting. Some may argue that getting your own money back is not a benefit & they may be right as getting your own money back might be regarded as "neutral". -:)

you spoke out against it....................

Do you ore do you not put a check mark in the volunteer firefighter box.......and try not to bullshyte......

-:) -:) -:) -:)

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

They cannot overlook tax credits but they do

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
We all have to remember that the federal Canadian government promised that they won't touch the income trusts when they were running for office and when they got elected that was the first promise they broke.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Perhaps the argument hinges on the definition of benefitting. Some may argue that getting your own money back is not a benefit & they may be right as getting your own money back might be regarded as "neutral". -:)
-:) -:) -:) -:)

I think it is hard to argue that more money in your pocket is not a benefit.

They cannot overlook tax credits but they do

Maybe in the sense of reporting on the effects, but the costs are very well understood and accounted for.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think it is hard to argue that more money in your pocket is not a benefit.

Take a look at this scenario- you are walking down the road when all of a sudden I jump out of the bush and rob you and the next day I have feelings of guilt and return the money. Is that a benefit?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You spoke out against it....................

Yes, I wrote letters to the two area MPs opposing the tax credit. I made a motion at a fire association meeting requesting the fire association do the same. I believe it would be better if the Feds targeted funds towards smaller municipal fire departments that don't have adequate training and equipment funds.

As for my tax credit. I do check the box and give the refunded amount along with all my honorariums to the fire association.

Maybe in the sense of reporting on the effects, but the costs are very well understood and accounted for.
No, they aren't. At 100 billion, I doubt you can find a politician anywhere that understands or could account for more than a handful

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Yes, I wrote letters to the two area MPs opposing the tax credit. I made a motion at a fire association meeting requesting the fire association do the same. I believe it would be better if the Feds targeted funds towards smaller municipal fire departments that don't have adequate training and equipment funds.

As for my tax credit. I do check the box and give the refunded amount along with all my honorariums to the fire association
Do you expect anyone in this forum to believe this load of B. S. ?

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Take a look at this scenario- you are walking down the road when all of a sudden I jump out of the bush and rob you and the next day I have feelings of guilt and return the money. Is that a benefit?

Lol. No.

If they were also raising taxes, then this might make a bit of sense, but the plan is only to cut taxes.

So you either pay $10 in taxes, or you pay $5 in taxes. What situation is better for you?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Do you expect anyone in this forum to believe this load of B. S. ?

Do you think I care? But since you mention it, yes. Considering a know a few people here personally I expect at least those people to believe me. I know it's difficult for selfish people to understand the concept of giving

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
No, they aren't. At 100 billion, I doubt you can find a politician anywhere that understands or could account for more than a handful

Well, the finance guys certainly need to understand it because they need to approve the final budget prepared by the staff.

Face it, it is simple accounting. They can't have a tax credit on the books without accounting for the cost of it in the budget. It is not free money.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Well, the finance guys certainly need to understand it because they need to approve the final budget prepared by the staff.

Face it, it is simple accounting. They can't have a tax credit on the books without accounting for the cost of it in the budget. It is not free money.
Tax credits are not budget line items

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

As for my tax credit. I do check the box and give the refunded amount along with all my honorariums to the fire association.

In the rural areas the firefighters tax credit is quite popular. Most of us don't have much money for pay and few volunteers make much over 500/Year. Helps make up for lost work and out of pocket expenses. I think this is the group it is actually targeted towards.

Out of curiosity what does your association do with it's money?