(*%^$&^#@$ Taxes!!!

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
New York ha, I woulden't dare swim in polluted water filled with dead corpses. No offence ITN but the industrial regions of New Jersey across from Manhattan are hell on earth.....or at least as close to hell on earth as I have ever seen.

But then again i'm a Ohio boy, feel free to take you best swing. :p

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Don't worry Haggis, I won't start a fight. People who live in California can recognize the bitter syndrome that causes New Yorkers to criticize us. He's just angry because it's probably so cold and nasty outside where he is ;) .... We know California has everything a person could want.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
If its any consolation---you'd be paying more than 2 grand for the privilege of staying warm this Winter here. Our pale complexions are just an added bonus :)

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Haggis McBagpipe said:
:lol: How silly, eh? Give us the New York version, ITN

Hank C said:
New York ha, I woulden't dare swim in polluted water filled with dead corpses. No offence ITN but the industrial regions of New Jersey across from Manhattan are hell on earth.....or at least as close to hell on earth as I have ever seen.

But then again i'm a Ohio boy, feel free to take you best swing. :p

Here's a sample :D

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: (*%^$&^#@$ Taxes!!!

tracy said:
Don't worry Haggis, I won't start a fight. People who live in California can recognize the bitter syndrome that causes New Yorkers to criticize us. He's just angry because it's probably so cold and nasty outside where he is ;) .... We know California has everything a person could want.

Except electricity? :p

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
:lol: <hushed voice continutes> . . . and ladies and gentlemen, I've never seen the like of it before in the ring, we have contenders UnclePercy from Texas and Hank from Ohio entering the fray. they're wandering into the ring, lacing up their gloves, four contenders at once, this is new, folks, is a TKO in the works or a wrecked beach? Time will tell.

ITN comes in with a picturesque right jab, but Tracy feints with an upper cut, a real kick in the sand there. Uncle slams with a pan handled fist while Hank is O so high O with his punches.

It's getting crowded in the ring, folks, and who knows where this will take us?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California

I think not said:
tracy said:

I have electricity at the oh so expensive cost of about $30 a month. Course, I don't turn on the lights much since it's usually so sunny around here :glasses7: We don't get the fun of spending months in the cold darkness like you NYers do, but that's something I'm willing to accept :p

Come to think of it, the last time I was without electricity was in Toronto the summer before I moved here. Remember that big blackout that affected the US and Canada? I saw a lot of pictures of NYers walking home... No cars I guess... I'm glad that I now live in a place where I can afford a car!

Personally, I don't see the point of having a beach that you can't swin in most of the year. NY beaches are such a waste. My cute new bikini would have to spend months in the closet. That isn't right. It belongs on me while I'm laying on a beach towel enjoying a margarita... Viva California!

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
missile said:
If its any consolation---you'd be paying more than 2 grand for the privilege of staying warm this Winter here. Our pale complexions are just an added bonus :)

:lol: I had to laugh at this. I'm actually really tan by my standards. Every time I go home my friends and family comment on how dark I am... But, I'm also a redhead and have that natural scottish paleness so everyone here thinks I'm really pale until I show them my tan line. Only then do they realize how tan I am.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

tracy said:
My cute new bikini would have to spend months in the closet. That isn't right. It belongs on me while I'm laying on a beach towel enjoying a margarita... Viva California!

My god, Tracy has thrown in a punch to floor the lot of them. Can I Think Not survive this one? I think not.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

tracy said:
I have electricity at the oh so expensive cost of about $30 a month. Course, I don't turn on the lights much since it's usually so sunny around here :glasses7: We don't get the fun of spending months in the cold darkness like you NYers do, but that's something I'm willing to accept :p

Come to think of it, the last time I was without electricity was in Toronto the summer before I moved here. Remember that big blackout that affected the US and Canada? I saw a lot of pictures of NYers walking home... No cars I guess... I'm glad that I now live in a place where I can afford a car!

Personally, I don't see the point of having a beach that you can't swin in most of the year. NY beaches are such a waste. My cute new bikini would have to spend months in the closet. That isn't right. It belongs on me while I'm laying on a beach towel enjoying a margarita... Viva California!

Bah, what good is year round sunshine when you don't get to enjoy the four seasons nature has to offer?

And who needs a car in New York City anyway, when all the world as at your feet? Oooops, sorry, I know you guys need a car to get around EVERYWHERE, but then again, where would you go? The Chinese Theatre?

There are plenty of other things to do with the beach, like fishing? ;)

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Oh no you di int! :wink:

As far as I'm concerned there is little enjoying of the seasons the way it exists back east. I didn't enjoy the 4 seasons in Toronto a bit. We got 6 months of freezing cold, followed by a month of spring, then 4 months of disgustingly sweaty humid summer, followed by one month of nice fall weather, then back to freezing our asses off again.

California does have seasons, you just aren't stuck with one like in NY. If I get too hot on the beach and want to enjoy cold weather, I can just drive (yep, drive) up to Big bear and go skiiing that same day. Silly NYers think they have the world at their doorstep, but the world exists further away than a subway ride and involves more than concrete beneath your feet. ;)

Fishing at the beach? Not appealing. My grandpa may enjoy that type of thing, but it isn't for me (and even he wouldn't go icefishing)! As far as I'm concerned beaches are for swimming, tanning, surfing, sailing and relaxing. If I want fish, I'll go to the sushi restaurant down the street.

OK, gotta go get my sunglasses and take the dog for a walk :)

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
tracy tracy tracy, what am I going to do with you? I know you LOVE your driving simply because there isn't anything to see in LA if you don't drive AWAY from it :p

We still have 4 seasons in NY, yep the real four, Spring, Summer, Winter and Fall as the old song goes. I start to plane my vegetables and flowers in the Spring, shoot off to Montauk in the Summer, do some fishing, some swimming, some relaxing, yep with sunglasses :p. Then in the fall, all the leaves fall down and give me a dam headache as I have to rake them up for weeks until there are no more left and then my favorite season comes in, Winter!

But we don't need to stay indoors, why WE have a subway :p We also have museums the likes of the MET and Natural History. But no need to run to museums all the time, we can also take a hop (yep via subway, again! :p) and go to the Bronx Zoo, or the New York Aquarium, yep they are open all year round.

Hey tracy! Seen any good Broadway shows lately? Ooops, sorry again :oops:

:p

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada

tracy said:
I think not said:
tracy said:

Damn, you must live in a shoe. Multiply that times 10 + - and in Texas, that's what your electric bill would be for a medium sized nice house. Not to mention about $200 for the gas bill. However, can you afford a nice big house in LA or San Diego? AHA. There's the rub.

Uncle

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
On a briefly serious note, I would love to live in New York for awhile. As for California, I have lived in San Diego, seemingly a zillion years ago, and I loved it. Can two places possibly be more opposite, I wonder, with both being such great places to live?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
tracy said:
I owe the government almost $2000!!! I am so bummed. Look like there will be no gallbladder operation for me in the near future... I was also planning on starting graduate school in the fall, but between this, the gallbladder and a few other unexpected expenses, January 2007 looks like a more realistic start date.

I feel your pain, I got dinged for $750. Not as bad as you, but like you the return I usually get was already spent. I'm owed back child tax thank Gaawwwd, otherwise I'd be up that creek without a paddle.

Oh, and Harper, I'll take that $1200, now.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Actually, we have a lot of good shows here too if that's your thing. I was surprised about that when I moved here, but I guess I should've known that being so close to Hollywood there would be lots of plays and musicals and such. I'm supposed to go see Madame Butterfly next week in OC I think. I'm looking forward to Hairspray in May and Wicked is supposed to be showing again this summer. Les Mis and Joseph will be on too... Not every night like in NY, but I wouldn't want to go everynight anyways. There are a lot of other ways to spend your nights out here! :)

No offense, but aquariums and zoos suck. Real nature isn't in a cage or a tank. City dwellers seem to have forgotten that. Mind you, if I wanted to go to those I could. I know SanDiego is supposed to have a great zoo and I've done the whole SeaWorld thing and Long Beach has a good aquarium too... but it just isn't the same as going whale watching or diving in the actual ocean or seeing nature in the wild. I'd put up Yosemite or Sequoia against anything you'll see in the Bronx anyday. Even a day trip to Catalina Island is better than that. I just think the notion of a bunch of people bundled up in their puffy jackets in the middle of a freezing cold winter to look at an animal in a cage is sad...

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California

unclepercy said:
tracy said:
I think not said:
tracy said:

Damn, you must live in a shoe. Multiply that times 10 + - and in Texas, that's what your electric bill would be for a medium sized nice house. Not to mention about $200 for the gas bill. However, can you afford a nice big house in LA or San Diego? AHA. There's the rub.

Uncle

I live in a fair sized apartment, I moved here from my former shoe sized studio. This one is a one bedroom, about 1000sq ft and fits nicely into my "rent can't cost more than 25% of take home pay" rule. I couldn't afford a big house and wouldn't buy one if I could. I couldn't afford a cleaning lady for a big house and I'm not giving her up. Loraina is a fabulous woman and I will not live without her.

I don't have a gas bill at all.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
See what you're missing tracy :p

Nor'easter Dumps Nearly Two Feet of Snow

NEW YORK - A major storm slammed the mid-Atlantic and Northeast states with nearly 2 feet of windblown snow on Sunday, nearing record levels as it blacked out thousands of customers and shut down air travel from Washington to Boston.

Wind gusting to 40 mph blew the snow sideways and threatened coastal flooding in New England. And in a rare display, lightning lit up the falling snow before dawn in the New York metro area.

By late morning, 22.8 inches of snow had fallen in Central Park, the city's second heaviest snowfall on record, surpassed only by the 26.4 inches that fell in December 1947.

"This is a dangerous storm," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said as he urged people to stay home.

The storm interrupted a relatively mild winter — and came right after America's warmest January on record. The country's average temperature last month was 39.5 degrees Fahrenheit, 8.5 degrees above average for January, according to the National Climatic Data Center. The old record for January warmth was 37.3 degrees set in 1953.

On Sunday, New York City had more than 2,500 snow plows and salt spreaders at work, along with snow-melting machines that could dispose of up to 60 tons of snow per hour, officials said.

Elsewhere, 21 inches of snow had fallen at Columbia, Md., between Baltimore and Washington, and thousands of customers in that state had no electricity. Hartford, Conn., and Wayne, N.J., reported 19 inches and Philadelphia's northern and western suburbs measured up to 18, the National Weather Service said.

"It's going to be a menace trying to clean it up," Wayne Mayor Scott T. Rumana said Sunday.

Radar showed snow falling from eastern Virginia to Maine as the nor'easter crawled up the coast.

Whiteout conditions were reported around Philadelphia and Trenton, N.J., with northerly wind gusting to 40 mph.

Few people ventured out into the storm if they didn't have to.

"I'm just out to get some doughnuts and coffee, then I'm going right back home," said Chris Vasili of East Brunswick, N.J. "It's not too good out here right now."

Karen Gulley of Mansfield, Mass., took her two young children to Boston to visit the New England Aquarium, but their plans changed to snowman-building because of the storm.

"It's their favorite thing to do," Gulley said.

Emil Krupczyn, a mechanic for the U.S. Postal Service, didn't let the snow interfere with his 200-mile drive home to upstate New York from Manhattan, but he figured the journey would take about six hours.

"There's no rushing in this stuff and if you don't have no place to go, don't go," he said as he waited for a street to get plowed.

The possibility of coastal flooding was a major concern for Massachusetts, said Peter Judge, spokesman for the state's Emergency Management Agency. Meteorologists predicted 2 1/2-foot storm surges from Cape Ann to Cape Cod with seas off the coast running up to 25 feet.

More than 80,000 customers were without power in Maryland, according to Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. spokeswoman Linda Foy. She said it could be at least 24 hours before power is fully restored.

"It's taking us a long time to even get to the locations where we can begin the restoration process," Foy said.

Power also was out at thousands of homes and businesses in New Jersey, New York's Long Island and Connecticut.

Most airlines canceled all flights at LaGuardia Airport, some of them until Monday, said Steve Coleman, spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. Hundreds of flights were canceled at Kennedy and Newark airports.

Delta said it also canceled Sunday arrivals and departures at Washington, Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, Providence, R.I., and Hartford, Conn.

New Jersey Transit suspended all bus service statewide, although most rail service continued operating. Amtrak reported a few cancelations and delays but said most trains remained in service.

However, the storm was good news for ski resorts after an unseasonably warm January dragged down business.

"The best thing for us is it puts snow in customers' back yards and they think of snowboarding and down hill (skiing)," said Carol Lugar, president of Mohawk Mountain in Cornwall, Conn., which had up to 1 foot of snow by late Sunday morning.

"I personally love the snow," she said. "I like snow shoveling. If you shovel snow all winter you can paddle a kayak or canoe all summer."

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
That picture is the mirror image of my world at the moment. God da0m NorEaster. Tracy, stop braggen or I will start an online fund to hunt you down and bring your arse back here to NS. I have more than one shovel.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Horrifying ITN!!!

I swear, so many people here always ask me if I miss snow. I can honestly say I don't miss it at all. I still ski here occasionally so I do see it. When I went home for Xmas, I couldn't stand the cold. It was great to see family and friends, but I think the next visit will be in August!

I hope you have a nice warm blanket and some hot cocoa ITN :)