Taken from life: The unsettling art of death photography

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ya, like better to late then never.

That's how I imagine these odd situation ended up happening.

But it wasn't odd at the time. At the time, during the Victorian era, the deceased was kept in the house for viewing until the burial date. That, to me, is far "odder" when viewed in a modern context than snapping a photo of a deceased individual.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

That tea looks a bit weak. The teabag should have been sloshed around inside the cup a little longer.

At the time, during the Victorian era, the deceased was kept in the house for viewing until the burial date.

I think they still do that in Ireland.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
But it wasn't odd at the time. At the time, during the Victorian era, the deceased was kept in the house for viewing until the burial date. That, to me, is far "odder" when viewed in a modern context than snapping a photo of a deceased individual.

It is, but I imagine, having less access to great wealth limited their choices, as well as probably being less sensitive to death like we have become. I'm sure there are other possibilities, we could argue.

We have hospitals now a days. Changes our reality considerably.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I don't want my family, especially my kids to see me dead. I want them to remember me as I was in life. Can't imagine layin around decomposing like they did in those days.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Mortuary services are common everywhere now a days. They could have been very limited back then.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It is, but I imagine, having less access to great wealth limited their choices, as well as probably being less sensitive to death like we have become. I'm sure there are other possibilities, we could argue.

btw, it's about time someone told you your so-called signature is lame. I'm surprised a mod hasn't deleted it for being too large a file or at least, too retarded. just sayin'. it doesn't help your stock much kid.

you and flossy both.

get a grip.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

They were less sensitive to death than we are today. People hundreds and thousands of years ago didn't try to brush death away like we do today. At some of the well-preserved Neolithic houses at Skara Brae up in Orkney archaeologists dug up skeletons right underneath where beds used to be. So people went to bed at night knowing their grannies and grandads or whoever were buried underneath their beds. Nowadays, people would find that creepy and unsettling.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
btw, it's about time someone told you your so-called signature is lame. I'm surprised a mod hasn't deleted it for being too large a file or at least, too retarded. just sayin'. it doesn't help your stock much kid.

you and flossy both.

get a grip.

It serves it's purpose to annoy ultra religious people who don't believe in evolution like yourself.

But I can take it down if really it's that offensive to you ;).

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Ha! I didn't even notice....cuz I usually scroll on by, lol.

you and flossy both.
Him too, lol

get a grip.
What are you looking for here? A fukkin' miracle? :D

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
They were less sensitive to death than we are today. People hundreds and thousands of years ago didn't try to brush death away like we do today. At some of the well-preserved Neolithic houses at Skara Brae up in Orkney archaeologists dug up skeletons right underneath where beds used to be. So people went to bed at night knowing their grannies and grandads or whoever were buried underneath their beds. Nowadays, people would find that creepy and unsettling.

That's very odd behaviour for today's standards. Go's to show how much our reality has changed.

Small changes can have huge impacts culturally.

Maybe it even explains the state of our universities :lol:

Thank you.

Did you notice my avatar s a baby. I thought I'd put that up for ya since I'm such a small child :lol:

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Uh huh.

Did you notice that my avatar is.........

Which I point out for no particular reason......

Now that you mention it, I did notice that. It's suits you particularly well, I might add.

Feminists like yourself will be the death of us :lol: