Supremes to hear 7-Up Case

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Correct me if I am wrong...

But in some areas isn't speaking French a necessity to receive services? Didn't someone post an article or an incident like that on here some time ago?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Correct me if I am wrong...

But in some areas isn't speaking French a necessity to receive services? Didn't someone post an article or an incident like that on here some time ago?

Quebec has its own f'ed up language laws about having to speak and serve in French, yes.

But, nationwide, and what these people are suing under, is the Official Languages Act, which guarantees you access to the government in French. It's what guarantees French schooling be accessible where populations make it doable, that government offices have someone bilingual on staff, etc.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
This is not reflective of how things are for the whole nation, and they are not reflective of all French Canadians. Both my family, and the family I married into, are French Canadian. They loathe the Quebecois for the divisiveness they sow throughout the country.

I concur. My family finds "issues" like this embarrassing and have always been very distinctive when stating that they are French Canadian...from Northern Ontario.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Quebec has its own f'ed up language laws about having to speak and serve in French, yes.

But, nationwide, and what these people are suing under, is the Official Languages Act, which guarantees you access to the government in French. It's what guarantees French schooling be accessible where populations make it doable, that government offices have someone bilingual on staff, etc.

So... All of Canada has to provide services in both languages... but the Province of Quebec need not? Do as they say...not as they do?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So... All of Canada has to provide services in both languages... but the Province of Quebec need not? Do as they say...not as they do?

No, the government is the only one this pertains to, and all through the country, they have to provide service in both official languages.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
While I think this is overboard and actually quite silly the people from 7 up are the victim of
a system in itself. Its not just a right to be served in French or English for government reasons.
We have two official languages, that is Legislated and once it is entrenched in the Constitution
it ca apply for all things. People may vent their feelings all they want, but that is what they are,
feelings nothing more. The law and the constitution trumps feelings every time.
That is as it should be, the law and justice and all those things should be set apart from individual
feelings.
When it comes to a logo such as 7 up, how does that translate in a society such as ours? That is
a valid question, and it should not be subject to a witch hunt for people with nothing better to do.
I think there are anomalies and they are really tempest in tea pots. The Constitution is always
a reasonable compromise regardless of what we personally think sometimes. I do not think this
was ever a question iin the minds of the founding fathers.
That is why I think the case should be heard. An answer to this question might well put an end to
a whole lot of other silly challenges.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I didn't read anything about 7Up actually being what they were suing over grumps.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I understand the couple is suing because they could not request seven up in French silly
true but its in the constitution we have two official languages. The problem is what did the
intent of the law mean and how far in detail was it to be interpreted? By having a case
heard maybe once and for all we can have these silly cases dealt with and put to rest.
There are words in French with no interpretation and English words that cannot be said
in French. The reason technology has moved ahead of language itself over time.
This should never be in court but seeing as we have a silly case maybe we can have a
definitive ruling that will show how crazy this stuff really is at times

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I understand the couple is suing because they could not request seven up in French silly
true but its in the constitution we have two official languages. The problem is what did the
intent of the law mean and how far in detail was it to be interpreted? By having a case
heard maybe once and for all we can have these silly cases dealt with and put to rest.
There are words in French with no interpretation and English words that cannot be said
in French. The reason technology has moved ahead of language itself over time.
This should never be in court but seeing as we have a silly case maybe we can have a
definitive ruling that will show how crazy this stuff really is at times

No, it was that the stewardess didn't speak French, not that there was no word for 7Up.

As a 'government agency', Air Canada is required to provide service in both official languages, and by not having a bilingual stewardess, they feel that right to access the government in the language of their choice, has been circumvented.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
No, it was that the stewardess didn't speak French, not that there was no word for 7Up.

As a 'government agency', Air Canada is required to provide service in both official languages, and by not having a bilingual stewardess, they feel that right to access the government in the language of their choice, has been circumvented.

Service is dependant upon certain factors:
The Official Languages Act requires Air Canada to communicate and provide services in both official languages in the National Capital Region and elsewhere in Canada, “where there is significant demand for those services in the minority language and where it is warranted by the nature of the office or facility.”

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Service is dependant upon certain factors:
The Official Languages Act requires Air Canada to communicate and provide services in both official languages in the National Capital Region and elsewhere in Canada, “where there is significant demand for those services in the minority language and where it is warranted by the nature of the office or facility.”

yep.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Who would have thought a poorly written thread title could confuse the issue so much.

The court case is about their stewardess not speaking French, not about anything actually pertaining to a 7Up.

As for why Air Canada is held to different standards? It shouldn't be. They are fishing, and abusing the Official Languages Act.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's all an arrogance thing, I guarantee when they were making their decision between cola and lemon lime they thought the English words SEVEN UP in their heads because there is no other way to think it.

What's the English word for poutine?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The court case is about their stewardess not speaking French, not about anything actually pertaining to a 7Up.

Question... all Air Canada employees must be able to speak French and English?

So in the case of the Air Canada gate keeper in Atlanta, who I would guess is American, she/he must be able to speak French or Air Canada is liable for damages?