Supreme Court

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
The problem with gerrymandering is that it straddles many horses.

Very difficult to get a Supreme Court to hear a case let alone make a comprehensive ruling. There are many layers of government and justice that are or should be involved in decision making in that area.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
And the court is saying it's okay.
When it's not.
Which should have everyone up in arms about the decision.
My question still stands: is Gerrymandering okay for the extreme right but not for the looney left?

No the SCOTUS said that it is a state matter not a national matter unless it involves discrimination or race

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
How is this a win for any... oh wait...

So long as a republican/conservative pushes their agenda and Gerrymanders, it's all good.

I bet your tune would change though if, say, liberals/democrats started to Gerrymander for THEIR side.

AmIright?
Both sides do it already. Iamright.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
And you're an idiot if you think gerrymandering isn't inherently racist or discriminatory.
So is the SCOTUS.

But it wasn't a factor in this particular case that is why it was sent back to the lower courts to decide, no need to call me an idiot because you don't understand this ruling.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
But it wasn't a factor in this particular case that is why it was sent back to the lower courts to decide, no need to call me an idiot because you don't understand this ruling.

I called you an idiot because you think gerrymandering isn't inherently racist or discriminatory. It doesn't matter what political party is in power, when you realign districts to ensure that your party has a better chance of being elected, that's wrong. When a lot of those districts are realigned on racial lines, it's automatically racist.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Where in here have I said it wasn't discriminatory? Or not racist? I was saying this particular case wasn't about anything more than jurisdiction, they would have ruled if it had anything to do with racism or discrimination.