Support for the BNP is rising.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A massive 25% of Britain's voters are now considering supporting the far right British National Party.

In the Barking constituency of east London, as many as 8 out of 10 white families are considering voting for the BNP.

25% of voters 'considering BNP'

Staff and agencies
Monday April 17, 2006

A BNP rosette. Photograph: PA

Up to a quarter of voters are considering supporting the far right British National Party, according to a draft report for a social policy research group.

The authors of the study for the Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust said today that feelings of "powerlessness and frustration" with the main political parties had led to increasing numbers indicating that they might vote for the BNP.

The claims follow a warning by the employment minister, Margaret Hodge, that disillusioned white, working-class voters were deserting Labour for the BNP. She said that as many as eight out of 10 white families in her Barking constituency in east London admitted that they were tempted to vote BNP in forthcoming council elections.

One of the study's authors, Professor Peter John of Manchester University, said the research suggested many voters in white working-class areas feel their concerns are ignored.
"They think they have been let down by the main parties. They feel their voices have not been heard, the main parties have ignored them," he told the BBC's Today programme.

"I think if I was in the main parties, I would be worried about this, that I have not talked about an issue which one of my core constituencies thinks is important."

He said that focus groups were conducted with voters in east London as part of the Rowntree report, but stressed that the levels of underlying support uncovered by the report would not necessarily translate into electoral success for the BNP.

"This is a very hypothetical question. It is not what party you will vote for, but who you might vote for. The idea is to try to tap into some underlying attitudes which may translate into electoral support, but may not and in the past have not," he said.

The study also analysed the wards in which the BNP enjoyed most support and found they were "white working-class areas" with little racial diversity, Prof John said.

He also accused the BNP of spreading "myths" which had particular potency in areas experiencing significant levels of change.

Phill Edwards, a BNP spokesman, said that during the last 40 years Britain had been transformed from "a racially homogeneous society" into one "where the cultures are now quite alien".

"That does add quite a lot of tensions and stresses," he said. "There are borders around countries. People require passports to move around. Borders are there to protect population groups, to give security and freedom, democracy and identity to population groups.

"These people shouldn't just be allowed to wander wherever they like. The fact of the matter is that people who come from these countries in the Third World, many of them do not share our culture and identity. They bring with them their internecine, inter-tribal warfare, they bring with them ailments and diseases and it does cause a lot of frustration."

The Home Office minister, Andy Burnham, said indications of growing readiness to consider a vote for the BNP reflected a trend towards protest voting, especially at local elections, but he played down the significance of the party's threat.

"When people hear their views, I think they will see them for what they are," he told Today. "But there is a danger in giving undue prominence to the threat that they pose. They pose a very localised threat and I am worried that if we give them too much coverage, it can back up the notion that they are a potent protest vote.

"Let's give them the coverage they deserve, in my view, which is very little."

The BNP launched its local election manifesto on Good Friday and said it was "standing for local freedom, security, identity, democracy" and putting "Britain first".

The party, which has 24 local councillors, said 356 candidates would stand for election next month.

According to analysis by the anti-fascist group Searchlight, the BNP is within a 5% swing of winning 70 council seats.

"They are posing a much bigger electoral threat than they have," Searchlight's director of research, Nick Lowles, said.

The BNP was increasing its anti-Muslim rhetoric in the wake of the July 7 bombings and the Danish cartoon row, he addded. The party was also benefiting from disillusionment among Labour voters, and the Tories' apparent shift to the centre, which had left a gap on the right.

Ms Hodge told the Sunday Telegraph that for the first time white working class people were no longer ashamed to say they will vote BNP.

"When I knock on doors I say to people 'Are you tempted to vote BNP?' and many, many, many - eight out of 10 of the white families - say yes." she said. "That's something we have never seen before, in all my years, even when people voted BNP they used to be ashamed to vote BNP. Now they are not.

The BNP is standing in seven of the 17 wards in Barking and Searchlight predicts it will get 20-30% of the vote. The party secured 16.9% of the vote in Barking in the 2005 general election. In neighbouring Dagenham, its vote was 9%.

guardian.co.uk

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Support for the BNP i

To be honest blackleaf, this isnt at all surprising, have you seen the influx of illegal and legal immigration since labour came to power?....whole cities have been racially changed, so much so you cannot help but think the cities have been turned over to foreignors.....a good example would be Bradford, or Bradistan as the locals call it, the large population of muslims there now want sharia law introduced...disgraceful.

I think immigration hs gone far too far in the uk, the government call a point system "racist" when every other country uses it.

For me it's just a matter of numbers, house prices are unrealistically high, because of over demand and over population, basically the floodgates have opened and if you suggest otherwise you are deemed a racist, well wake up, britain is smaller than the state of oregon how can they possibly expect to allow the amount of imigrants in they have and not expect "blood on the streets", nope what enoch powell said will soon come to fruition, and I'm NOT racist....but the statistics are undeniable

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yeah. Do you remember the riots in Oldham and Bradford in 2001? They were started after a white man and an Asian man started fighting each other outside an off-license.

And the New Labour Government (dominated by Scots, including Blair) cares nothing about England and Englishness, and it spends more money per capita on the health and public services of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland than it does on England.

So it's no surprising that people in several parts of England are getting annoyed and are thinking of voting for BNP.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

fact is Jersay, it's different in europe and the UK to what it is in the "new world", Islam has been after europe for a long time and most european countries have a legacy thanks mainly to each countries old empires, but yes, it does seem that racism is on the rise in europe once again.....did it ever go away?......unfortunatly, to hate someone or something that is different to you is human nature, it happens everywhere, at every time in human history, however much we'd all like to get rid of it, it'll always be here, the new world is a perfect example actually.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

and the problem is a lot of people are over sensitive about this subject...I'll give you an example, the other day at work I was having a discussion about soccer extremists with my (black) south african mate, I suggested that soccer fans were crazy about their game in england, and I said "in the eighties Danny Wallace (a black player) would often have bananas thrown at him during away games".

he went CRAZY about this...although he didnt mind calling everyone a "spastic"...you see my point, you become too sensitive about an issue and it can actually turn the other way.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

it's happening quite regularly in spain at the moment, it happens pretty much everywhere, it's universally banned in the uk and doesnt happen now.....it did for a long time though

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
I think there's a different mindset in Europe anyway. I mean, in North America I can't claim that immigrants are invading my home, since it wasn't all that long ago that we were all immigrants here. But in England, that isn't the case. Many people have roots going back thousands of years in West Muffinhillshire or whatever... they have a legitimate reason to be afraid when people of a different race and religion start moving in en masse.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Re: RE: Support for the BNP is rising.

Doryman said:
I think there's a different mindset in Europe anyway. I mean, in North America I can't claim that immigrants are invading my home, since it wasn't all that long ago that we were all immigrants here. But in England, that isn't the case. Many people have roots going back thousands of years in West Muffinhillshire or whatever... they have a legitimate reason to be afraid when people of a different race and religion start moving in en masse.

I think youve hit the nail right on the head there Doryman "west muffinhillshire" I like that one on the account that it's only american that eat english muffins and I do indeed come from a shire

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
Re: RE: Support for the BNP is rising.

Daz_Hockey said:
I think youve hit the nail right on the head there Doryman "west muffinhillshire" I like that one on the account that it's only american that eat english muffins and I do indeed come from a shire

I like the wacky, quaint names you Brits have for towns. If I ever got rich I'd move over there, purchase West Muffinhillshire and style myself Lord Quincy Farthingbottom the 2nd and a half. I'd probably vote BNP too, just to fit in. :wink:

I know the BNP are against immigration, but do they specify any more than that. Do they plan to cut all immigration by a certain percentage, or just that from certain areas?

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

to be frank, they are an offshoot of Oswald Mosley's black shirts and the political wing of the national front, oh they might suggest cutting immigration numbers, but what they really want is to stop it all together, oh nd put all the non-whites into labour camps...that wouldnt surprise me.

did'nt Hitler once say "people think we are not democratic...and they are right", nah they would incite racial hatred....they really are pond life, but it really is a hard case to get your head around

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So the people of the UK who want to remain the UK are now Nazi's?

They must welcome with open arms the people who are hell bent on destroying them and making the UK in THEIR own image?

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

I wouldnt class them as Nazi's, more nationalistic in a time of change, as I say, it's hard to get your head around, but most people dont like change, a lot of them see the result as a worry and thats why theyve turned to them